TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JRRNeiklot said:
Heh, we actually had snpw flurries on Easter in Alabama.
No question about it. The weather across the US is funky. At least here in southeastern Wisconsin today is sunny and the sun in melting the ice and snow a bit.

Cheers,
Gary

Geoffrey

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
As far as I can determine, the Professor's concept of the magic used on Middle Earth was not of the sort common in S&S fiction and founf in FRPGs.

There is in fact a passage from Tolkien (in one of his letters, I think) in which he in the strongest terms said that the power possessed by the Five Wizards (Saruman, Gandalf, Radagast, and two unnamed ones) was of an entirely different nature than the powers of magicians in other literature. The Five Wizards did not learn magic techniques or tap into powers outside of themselves. They simply acted in accordance with their nature as incarnate angels. Fish can breathe underwater and birds can fly not because they have magic powers, but because such are their God-given natures.

There is also a paasage in The Fellowship of the Ring in Lothlorien in which one of the Hobbits (Pippin, perhaps?) asks one of the Elves if one of the Elven objects was "magic". The Elf responds by not even knowing what the word "magic" means. The Elf said the object was "Elven". This again is an example of Tolkien's Elves simply acting in accordance with their Elvish natures. They did not learn magic spells.

Tolkien said The Lord of the Rings is a Catholic work, and he certainly did not have his good characters practicing sorcerous techniques such as are forbidden by Rome.

The closest thing in D&D to this are those monsters who have innate spell-like powers. Such monsters don't learn magic spells. They instead merely act in accordance with their natures. The closest thing in AD&D to Gandalf would be a deva.

Geoffrey

First Post
Here is the passage from chapter 8: "Farewell to Lorien" in The Fellowship of the Ring:

'Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippen, looking at them with wonder.

'I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves. 'They are fair garments, and the web is good, for it was made in this land. They are elvish robes certainly, if that is what you mean. Leaf and branch, water and stone: they have the hue and beauty of all these things under the twilight of Lorien that we love; for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make. Yet they are garments, not armour, and they will not turn shaft or blade. But they should serve you well: they are light to wear, and warm enough or cool enough at need. And you will find them a great aid in keeping out of the sight of unfriendly eyes, whether you walk among the stones or the trees. You are indeed high in the favour of the Lady! For she herself and her maidens wove this stuff; and never before have we clad strangers in the garb of our own people.'

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:
And what other sources might one use for Gandalf other than the books Tolkein authored?

A lot of people now use the movies as sources. The movies =/= the books, by a long shot. My mentioning that I was only using the books as sources was to head off any "where was that in the movies?" type of questions.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
A lot of people now use the movies as sources. The movies =/= the books, by a long shot. My mentioning that I was only using the books as sources was to head off any "where was that in the movies?" type of questions.
Had the Professor written and directed the films, they would have validity in regards Middle Earth. As that is not the case, anything in the films that does not appear in Tolkien's writings is absolutely apocryphal, is it not?

Cheers,
Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:
Had the Professor written and directed the films, they would have validity in regards Middle Earth. As that is not the case, anything in the films that does not appear in Tolkien's writings is absolutely apocryphal, is it not?

I agree. The thing is, I've seen more and more people who assume that the movies cleave very closely to Tolkien's books, and accept anything in them as canon. My caveat was intended for those who had only seen the movies and not read the trilogy, which is a fairly good number of folk. Many of them - the ones I've spoken to - are surprised at how much the films diverge from the books.

By the way, I meant it as a general comment for anyone reading this thread. It wasn't directed at you. My assumption is you know the movies and books are two different beasts.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases