TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
:confused:

Would you believe more like angels than a pointy-hatter wizard!

:lol:
Gary

What? Devas like angels? You mean the winged figure in the MM II that was an other-planar minion of the powers of weal were meant to resemble angels? That's crazy talk, I tell you!

;)

Actually, I rather liked Devas, Solars and (IIRR) Planatars. It did seem, however, that the Solar could give a demon lord or duke of hell a run for his money. Which is fitting, given the angel/demon/devil parallels :)

I recall that the Devas were divided into three distinct groups, were Planatars and Solars, as well? Was this three-fold division inspired by the "Choirs of Angels" belief that was developed largely by Pseudo-Dyonisius' reflection on various passages in the New Testament?

Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser

First Post
Hey Colonel, I was just wondering about the WoGH setting. I'm sure we all have our favorite parts of the Flanaess, around which we either base our Oerth campaigns or to which we just have a certain attraction (I'm rather partial to the Free City of Greyhawk, Furyondy, as well as some of the western lands, such as Zeif, not to mention finding the Valley of the Mage an interesting place for potential adevntures). My question is this: Besides the City of Greyhawk, what other lands figured prominantly in your campaign? I know that the campaign figured largely around Greyhawk and that there were trips to China and, IIRC, Hempmonoland (or its equivalent) but did any of the players ever make it to places such as Ket, the Bandit Kingdoms, the Great Kingdom, Dyvers, etc.? Were there any major NPC's from such places that interacted with the players on a normal, or memorable, basis?

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nathal said:
Hi Gary!

I was reading through my old Volume I of Lejends Magazine and wondered when the Trolls are planning those hardbacks of LA. Last I heard they were due out last summer. I see some nice stuff coming out related to LA, like a new module you and Chris Clark penned, but still no new core rulebooks. Any new news on that front, or is "Essentials" IT for the foreseeable future? I would email you directly with this question, but I posted here because I'm sure there are others curious about the same thing. :)

~Dan Cross
Hi Dan,

As far as I know the hardback version of the LA game was never contemplated being released in 2006. The object has been to clear out the paperback versions. The Trolls will likely be releasing the supplements to the core rules, Tome of Knowledge and More Beasts of Lejend in PDF format this year, along with hardcover releases of Lejendary Pantheons and Shamanism & Witchcraft. then the revised etition of the three core rule books will be done in hardback next year...I think.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
What? Devas like angels? You mean the winged figure in the MM II that was an other-planar minion of the powers of weal were meant to resemble angels? That's crazy talk, I tell you!

;)

Actually, I rather liked Devas, Solars and (IIRR) Planatars. It did seem, however, that the Solar could give a demon lord or duke of hell a run for his money. Which is fitting, given the angel/demon/devil parallels :)

I recall that the Devas were divided into three distinct groups, were Planatars and Solars, as well? Was this three-fold division inspired by the "Choirs of Angels" belief that was developed largely by Pseudo-Dyonisius' reflection on various passages in the New Testament?

Gray Mouser
Hi Mouser,

Devas were drawn mainly from mytholology.

Planetar and Solar were inspired by Theosophy. There were no grades of either IIRR--too lazy to dig up MMII and check for sure.

The lot were surely meant to counter, and then some, the minions of the Lower Planes ;)

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Hey Colonel, I was just wondering about the WoGH setting. I'm sure we all have our favorite parts of the Flanaess, around which we either base our Oerth campaigns or to which we just have a certain attraction (I'm rather partial to the Free City of Greyhawk, Furyondy, as well as some of the western lands, such as Zeif, not to mention finding the Valley of the Mage an interesting place for potential adevntures). My question is this: Besides the City of Greyhawk, what other lands figured prominantly in your campaign? I know that the campaign figured largely around Greyhawk and that there were trips to China and, IIRC, Hempmonoland (or its equivalent) but did any of the players ever make it to places such as Ket, the Bandit Kingdoms, the Great Kingdom, Dyvers, etc.? Were there any major NPC's from such places that interacted with the players on a normal, or memorable, basis?

Gray Mouser
Hi Again!

Most of the overland travel went north and west of Greyhawk--including the Ulek States, the Vesve Forest, Shield Lands, and Bandit Kingdoms. That and adventuring in the Bright Desert and Wild Coast was about it, although some of the PCs in later years ventured into the east, but not much beyond Idee in the Great Kingdom. One party did range through the far East's cold lands, and another was journeting through the western lands aiming for the coast of Ket. Mordenkainen was in the lands of the Wolf Nomads, recruited a troop of horse archers there. I brought in no NPCs from East or West as there were plenty from the central and north.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
PapersAndPaychecks said:
Hi Gary

Jagdtiger or IS2? ;)
The JS2 has better field of fire and greater mechanical reliability, so for offense I'd take the Soviet AFV. For a basically static defensive action I believe that the Jadgtiger would serve better.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BTW,

Not to belabor the obvuois, but the quote about using rules as a jumping-off point applies mainly to RPG play, not boardgames or card games :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases