TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
I am hopeful that the ms. for the yarn will turn up on an old Mac+ disk that is misplaced somewhere in the incredible clutter of the basement here. If not, Ed Kramer might eventually be able to dig it up...if he is ever back in the antholigy business. Ed was the one that put me onto the then-planned antholigy in tribute to Fritz. I went with Sheelba and Ningauble as the main characters in deference to Fritz of course, as he was a friend.

Cheerio,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Oerth is the IP pf WotC, and I am quite certain that they would not be interested in sharing it further with me, even for nothing but novels.

Cheers,
Gary

In the words of the Black Adder, "Oh, bugger."

Well, it looks like the adventures of Mordenkainin and Bigby will just have to take place in Yggsburgh, or Khalibrun even.

:)

Seriously, though, I really enjoyed seeing Mordenkainen, Tenser, Ombi, Eclavdra, et. al. in the Gord stories. Gave them a more "real" Oerthian feel (yeah, yeah, I know it's a fictional setting, but everyone here knows what I mean). I'd love to see Mordy, Bigby, or Tenser in their own short (or long!) story. Maybe if you get a chance to do another short story you could focus on one of them. Not that I'm complaining about Gord, mind you :)

Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I am hopeful that the ms. for the yarn will turn up on an old Mac+ disk that is misplaced somewhere in the incredible clutter of the basement here. If not, Ed Kramer might eventually be able to dig it up...if he is ever back in the antholigy business. Ed was the one that put me onto the then-planned antholigy in tribute to Fritz. I went with Sheelba and Ningauble as the main characters in deference to Fritz of course, as he was a friend.

Cheerio,
Gary

I'll keep a good thought (and a prayer) that the manuscript is found, as I'd love to read more Nehwon material. I really like the idea of focusing on Ningauble and Sheelba, too, as stories reolving around mages are rather interesting (I did rather enjoy Rhialto the Marvellous); which is part of the reason why I was bothering you in my other posts about Mordenkainen and Bigby (or even Tenser!) stories :D

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
In the words of the Black Adder, "Oh, bugger."

Well, it looks like the adventures of Mordenkainin and Bigby will just have to take place in Yggsburgh, or Khalibrun even.

:)

Seriously, though, I really enjoyed seeing Mordenkainen, Tenser, Ombi, Eclavdra, et. al. in the Gord stories. Gave them a more "real" Oerthian feel (yeah, yeah, I know it's a fictional setting, but everyone here knows what I mean). I'd love to see Mordy, Bigby, or Tenser in their own short (or long!) story. Maybe if you get a chance to do another short story you could focus on one of them. Not that I'm complaining about Gord, mind you :)

Gray Mouser
Once again, most of those characters you name are now the IP of WotC, so again, using them in myworkis at best priblematical.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
I'll keep a good thought (and a prayer) that the manuscript is found, as I'd love to read more Nehwon material. I really like the idea of focusing on Ningauble and Sheelba, too, as stories reolving around mages are rather interesting (I did rather enjoy Rhialto the Marvellous); which is part of the reason why I was bothering you in my other posts about Mordenkainen and Bigby (or even Tenser!) stories :D

Gray Mouser
:\

See my post immediately above.

Cheerio,
Gary

Henry

Autoexreginated
Col_Pladoh said:
:\

See my post immediately above.

Cheerio,
Gary

Gary, is Gord still your property, however? I'm assuming he is, since he's appeared in other stories you've written.

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Once again, most of those characters you name are now the IP of WotC, so again, using them in myworkis at best priblematical.

Cheers,
Gary

Hmmm. I thought that you retained the IP to your own PC's after the split with TSR. Perhaps I came to this conclusion because of the deal you made with them being able to continue the Gord books and your having included such personages.

In any event, "Oh, bugger."

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Hmmm. I thought that you retained the IP to your own PC's after the split with TSR. Perhaps I came to this conclusion because of the deal you made with them being able to continue the Gord books and your having included such personages.

In any event, "Oh, bugger."

Gray Mouser
Note the permission from TSR in the five Gord books published subsequent to the initial pair that TSR published. As those two originals have my copyright on them, there is some question as to who really has the IP rights to all the characters used therein, but I do not want to litigate the matter...

Cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases