TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh said:
I have a bit of Welsh (also Irish) heritage, and the English includes Cornish--my grandmother could bake a mighty fine pasty ans great leg of mutton. Thus with the Swiss, French, and Dutch included I am a typical American hybrid. Never mind about some of mu grandchildren, but their ancestry would fill a good part of the UN :lol:

Cheerio,
Gary

You're part Cornish? No way! I don't think I've ever met any other American who was, but I did hear tale once that the "Badger" nickname for Wisconsin had something to do with Cornish miners there. Who knows?

Do you know about Cornish nationalism? British politics was my field in grad school (when I became a Badger), and it turns out, much to everyone's surprise, there's a serious but very small Cornish nationalist movement, about reviving the language and even trying to bring back the Stannery Parliament from the Middle Ages as a devolved assembly, like the Welsh Assembly and the Scottish Parliament, for the Southwest (Cornwall & Devon). The party is called Mebyon Kernow, which means about the same thing as Plaid Cymru does on the other side of the water.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on, as they scored 1.7% of the vote in Cornwall in the last British parliamentary election. ;)

All of which leads me to yet another Greyhawk question: Is Onnwall named after the fair land of (very few of) our ancestor's birth? I certainly treat it my game as being Cornish -- tin, pirates, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebyon_Kernow

http://www.mebyonkernow.org/Public/Stories/89-1.shtml

Voadam

Legend
Col_Pladoh said:
I have a bit of Welsh (also Irish) heritage, and the English includes Cornish--my grandmother could bake a mighty fine pasty ans great leg of mutton. Thus with the Swiss, French, and Dutch included I am a typical American hybrid. Never mind about some of mu grandchildren, but their ancestry would fill a good part of the UN :lol:

Cheerio,
Gary

Its funny, my grandparents live in the UP of Michigan and my grandmother makes great pastys too. I always assumed pastys were arabic food because she made them, only finding out from her as an adult that it is a cornish dish common among the former mining communities in the UP.

AGFlynn

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:

Cheerio,
Gary

What's the provenance of Gygax? Sounds kinda like a Welshman had a nasty high-speed collision with a Roman on the Appian Way. ;)
Or maybe an allergic centurion: "What's your name, soldier?"
"Gygax."
"Bless you."

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
AGFlynn said:
What's the provenance of Gygax? Sounds kinda like a Welshman had a nasty high-speed collision with a Roman on the Appian Way. ;)
Or maybe an allergic centurion: "What's your name, soldier?"
"Gygax."
"Bless you."

If I may, Col, I believe it is from...the Netherlands? For "giant" or "giants", IIRC.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Shadeydm said:
HI Gary,

My apologies if you have already been asked this a thousand times. I am curious if prior to things unravelling for TSR was it ever in your plans to advance the timeline of the World of Greyhawk Campaign Setting or was it meant to remain static in your mind?

*edited for my subpar typing skills.
First, as a "Columbus Method" typist, I comisserate in regards need for editing :\

In regards to the timeline for the WoG setting, I had no immediate plan for advancing it as the world was meant to be used by all DMs so desirous, each making it conform to his own campaign needs.

Any special changes added to the setting in "the future" would have been done in modular form so as to be optional.

Later TSR and WotC approach to and treatment of the setting was quite contrary to the purpose for which I intended it when it was created.

Cheers,
Gary

Jupp

Explorer
Mark CMG said:
Seems that the name "Gygax" is possibly due to his Swiss background.

Yup, Gygax is a more or less common name around here. You see the name alot in the Berne Highlands (Berner Oberland).

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
They do alright with the Norse stuff, though. The episode where Viking warriors with swords and modern USAF Special Forces with the other kind of claymores are fighting aliens with blasters, that was cool. At least to me! ;)

Watch the episode of Season 1 on DVD, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Thor's true identity.
The son of Odin and the earth goddess Jord, married to a giantess?

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
You're part Cornish? No way! I don't think I've ever met any other American who was, but I did hear tale once that the "Badger" nickname for Wisconsin had something to do with Cornish miners there. Who knows?

Do you know about Cornish nationalism? British politics was my field in grad school (when I became a Badger), and it turns out, much to everyone's surprise, there's a serious but very small Cornish nationalist movement, about reviving the language and even trying to bring back the Stannery Parliament from the Middle Ages as a devolved assembly, like the Welsh Assembly and the Scottish Parliament, for the Southwest (Cornwall & Devon). The party is called Mebyon Kernow, which means about the same thing as Plaid Cymru does on the other side of the water.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on, as they scored 1.7% of the vote in Cornwall in the last British parliamentary election. ;)

All of which leads me to yet another Greyhawk question: Is Onnwall named after the fair land of (very few of) our ancestor's birth? I certainly treat it my game as being Cornish -- tin, pirates, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebyon_Kernow

http://www.mebyonkernow.org/Public/Stories/89-1.shtml
The old Celtic areas of the UK still have some nationalistic movements in them indeed.

There were lots of Cornishmen in the lead mining area of southern Wisconsin, and that is indeed where the term "Badger State" came from. There are no actual badgers here.

My grandmother told me how the miners would take their pasties into the mine for lunch, warming them under their arm...

Yes, Onwall was inspired by Cornwall, Land's End and all that good stuff :D

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Voadam said:
Its funny, my grandparents live in the UP of Michigan and my grandmother makes great pastys too. I always assumed pastys were arabic food because she made them, only finding out from her as an adult that it is a cornish dish common among the former mining communities in the UP.
The Jedda family moved here from the UP--incidentaly I have been to the UP, a lovely place, Lake in the Clouds and all--owned and operated the Stop & Shop Liquors shop downtown. When their two sons took it over they added a deli section and made and sold excellent pasties. I was indeed sad when they sold the place, and the new owners changed the nature of the business.

did you know that the northern counties of Wisconsin and the residents of Upper Michigan at one time wanted to form their own new state, Superior?

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases