TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Winterthorn said:
I still have cousins and aunts and uncles in Holland, and I enjoy visiting the "old country" every few years. :)

"...beyond redemption..." Yikes, I didn't know you felt that strongly about it. But that's :cool: I am not insulted - in fact you made me laugh :)

C&C? Well, I am thus obliged to have a good look at to see what you mean. I have been so focused on D&D 3E the last year or so (I DM using the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting) perhaps now is a good time to refresh my mind by looking at something different! :)

Thank you for the quick replies :D
Heh,

One man's meat is another's poison. Liking or disliking a particular type of game, or game itself, is no reflection on the person concerned. IMO game buffs have a lot more in common than the like or dislike of a particular design. for that reason U try to stay away from comments as to what I do not particularly like in favor of saying what I do enjoy. When all is said and done, there is no arguing about personal taste, no?

The C&C game system is about as close to a revised OAD&D game as is possible. That said, my favorite RPG system is the Lejendary Adventure one--rules light, skill-bundle-based, yet retaining the archetype, and very easy to determing playing awards. As a GM I emjoy running adventures, and playing it is a delight for the thinking gamer.

BTW the Troll Lord Games forums also have LA game threads, as does www.dragonsfoot.org and www.lejendary.com :D

Cheerio,
Gary

Last edited:

Naidim

First Post
Gary,

First I'd like to add my thanks for the creation of something that has added so much joy to my life.

When I first got into reading, my grandmother got for me the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander and I was hooked on S&S. After that I picked up 3 Hearts and 3 Lions by Poul Anderson and The Hobbit/LotR. When a friend introduced me to D&D in 1979 I was in heaven, being able to adventure in the worlds I loved to read about was everything I could imagine.

I've read most of the books on your list in the PHB. My only questions are have you read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson? Can you recommend any other stories that are as different from the standard fare (the stereotypical stuff like the Belgariad bores me), but still S&S?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Naidim said:
Gary,

First I'd like to add my thanks for the creation of something that has added so much joy to my life.

When I first got into reading, my grandmother got for me the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander and I was hooked on S&S. After that I picked up 3 Hearts and 3 Lions by Poul Anderson and The Hobbit/LotR. When a friend introduced me to D&D in 1979 I was in heaven, being able to adventure in the worlds I loved to read about was everything I could imagine.
I appreciate your thanks :)

It goes without saying that I too found much joy, entertainment, and stimulous from my youthful reading. As a matter of fact I am still devoted to reading.

I've read most of the books on your list in the PHB. My only questions are have you read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson? Can you recommend any other stories that are as different from the standard fare (the stereotypical stuff like the Belgariad bores me), but still S&S?
About all I can say I enjoy of the contemporary famntasy/S&S writing is that of Glen Cook and Terry Pratchett. Donaldson I gave up on after about 50 pages.

I am now reading the original REH Conan stories, and that's about it, save for going back now and again to re-read Vance, Merritt, Farmer, etc. My main fiction persuits lately have been alternate history, historical novels such as the Shapre's series, and mystery stories. O am also now at work putting together a detailed outline of a new Gord the Rogue adventure novel, one set in the time period when he was a young rebel in Greyhawk. If my co-author is motivated by my material, and we find an interested publisher--likely Troll Lord Games as they are reprinting the other seven gord books in hardbound editions--we should have it done by the end of this year.

Cheerio,
Gary

Jupp

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Goose auf Deutsch ist ganse.

I do not know the nursery rhyme. Is it English?

Ghe-gox sounds a bit like ganse in the ending syllable.

the Gygax family armorial bearings are a green ground with a white goose facing dexter, a red star in canton and a buffalo horn. IIRR, the star and the horn were later additions for service and bravery.

Cheerio,
Gary

It's a Swiss-German children song, origin and age unknown, and unfortunately I do not know the full song. Also the mighty internet did not provide me with the complete lyrics. In this song the goose says "Gy-ga-gax". I think this comes more from a reference to the family crest than from the name itself. As you already said in an earlier post, the name Gygax could originate from the greek name for giant and that sounds a bit more realistic. Because as far as I know the old German/Swiss translation of goose is not Gygax,Gigax,Giegax or whatever but Gans, Gander, Ganter, Gös, etc. Another indication is, that the name Gygax itself is very untypical for a Swiss name, or for a German name in general. So the whole Greek story looks more plausible than the goose thingie. And I would rather want to be named after a giant than after a goose anyway :D

RFisher

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
In regards to the timeline for the WoG setting, I had no immediate plan for advancing it as the world was meant to be used by all DMs so desirous, each making it conform to his own campaign needs.

Any special changes added to the setting in "the future" would have been done in modular form so as to be optional.

I know this wanders dangerously close to the speculative territory you are often wont to avoid, but I've wondered about this for a long time.

If you had remained in charge of TSR, how would this have worked in the long run? Would essentially the same boxed set have stayed in-print until today? It seems to me that most publishers find that keeping essentially the same product in-print for years is not feasible. Changes are made to justify printing a new, updated version of the setting.

Or perhaps I should merely ask what are your plans for Lejendary Earth in this regard.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jupp said:
It's a Swiss-German children song, origin and age unknown, and unfortunately I do not know the full song. Also the mighty internet did not provide me with the complete lyrics. In this song the goose says "Gy-ga-gax". I think this comes more from a reference to the family crest than from the name itself. As you already said in an earlier post, the name Gygax could originate from the greek name for giant and that sounds a bit more realistic. Because as far as I know the old German/Swiss translation of goose is not Gygax,Gigax,Giegax or whatever but Gans, Gander, Ganter, Gös, etc. Another indication is, that the name Gygax itself is very untypical for a Swiss name, or for a German name in general. So the whole Greek story looks more plausible than the goose thingie. And I would rather want to be named after a giant than after a goose anyway :D
:lol:

I will have to see if I can find the children's sone...although my German is very limited indeed, having sropped speaking it with Mumpsy when I was age seven.

There is a tribe of Albanians known and the Ghegs, giants, and someone has speculated that they might be descendants of Goliath's that stayed in Macedonia, moving only a bit westwards.

As for a goose, they are very alert and make good watchdogs...and are very nice well roasted :eek:

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RFisher said:
I know this wanders dangerously close to the speculative territory you are often wont to avoid, but I've wondered about this for a long time.

If you had remained in charge of TSR, how would this have worked in the long run? Would essentially the same boxed set have stayed in-print until today? It seems to me that most publishers find that keeping essentially the same product in-print for years is not feasible. Changes are made to justify printing a new, updated version of the setting.

Or perhaps I should merely ask what are your plans for Lejendary Earth in this regard.
No problem!

I would indeed have kept a boxed intriductory set of the D&D game in print...just as the publishers of Monopoly have kept that game on the shelves. Also I would have consolidated the remainder of the D&D game into a large book as was done by TSR after I left.

As for AD&D, I planned to revise it and add skills. (See the C&C game for how I would have handled that.) Later editions would contain few changes--mainly corrections and minor additions to existing material.

The LA game is being revised, and the new edition will have a good deal more information, but virtually no rules changes, mainly more Orders, spells, magic items, and monsters. Monsters' attacks have been expanded to reflect greater realism in regards to the danger they pose. The books will also be hardbound. Along with that there will be supplemental books for the optional addition of shamanism and witchery, one dealing with the pantheons of deities, and then detail volumes for the Lejendary Earth world setting. Plenty of new and desirable material without having to huck endless revisions of the core material ;)

Cheers,
Gary

dcas

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I would indeed have kept a boxed intriductory set of the D&D game in print...just as the publishers of Monopoly have kept that game on the shelves.
I think Mr. Fisher was asking about the World of Greyhawk boxed set.

One would think that the boxed set could remain in print as a "bare-bones" guide to the campaign, then additional detail added through campaign gazetteers or through adventure modules.

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
About all I can say I enjoy of the contemporary famntasy/S&S writing is that of Glen Cook and Terry Pratchett. Donaldson I gave up on after about 50 pages.

I am now reading the original REH Conan stories, and that's about it, save for going back now and again to re-read Vance, Merritt, Farmer, etc. My main fiction persuits lately have been alternate history, historical novels such as the Shapre's series, and mystery stories. O am also now at work putting together a detailed outline of a new Gord the Rogue adventure novel, one set in the time period when he was a young rebel in Greyhawk. If my co-author is motivated by my material, and we find an interested publisher--likely Troll Lord Games as they are reprinting the other seven gord books in hardbound editions--we should have it done by the end of this year.

Cheerio,
Gary

Colonel,

I know you're not a big fan of JRRT, but I do have to recommend The Children of Hurin. Only 259 pages, and that includes the preface and introduction. It seems to me to be Tolkien's take on Greek tragedy set in a fantasy milieu. Without dropping any spoilers I have to just say that I got the last 1/3 (or so) of the book and thought, "OMG, no way!" Had to go back and reread a bit just to make sure I was following what was going on correctly :)

BTW, the book also fetures a damn cool talking sword. I'd have to think JRRT was a bit influenced by Michael Moorecock in this area if the story hadn't been written some time before the appearance of Stormbringer :)

As for your other comments, I have to completely argee with the necessity of rereading Jack Vance on a fairly regular basis. Rarely have I read an author whose prose I enjoyed so much. I also hope that the outline of the new Gord novel progresses apace. And don't forget to put in the appearance of Mordenkainen and Bigby! ;) (Heh, I know, I know...)

Gray Mouser

Geoffrey

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I would indeed have kept a boxed intriductory set of the D&D game in print...just as the publishers of Monopoly have kept that game on the shelves.

I think that's something that hurts D&D in the long run: Not having a single boxed set that is essentially unchanged from decade to decade (just like Monopoly). Having such a set, of course, would not preclude all kinds of additional D&D products for hard-core gamers. But only a small fraction of people want to essentially game full-time. But lots of people are amenable to an occasional 2-hour D&D game. That sort of casual gaming would be best served by a static boxed set with a short rulebook (say, 64 pages) that stays the same except to fix typos. That way people would always know how to play rather than having to digest 1,000-page "core" rules that change all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases