TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

johnsemlak

First Post
Hello Gary

You probably don't remember but awhile back in the previous thread I asked about the NPC Nilonim from D3--The Vault of the Drow.

I wanted to expand on that. In the times you ran that module, (how many times did you run it, if I may ask) Did Nilonim (the drow prisonor chained in the Lloth Temple to be sacrified to her, who was neutral with good tendencies) ever become significantly involved with the PCs? Did you have particular reasons for putting him where he was?

John Semlak

Last edited:

Shard O'Glase

First Post
just out of curiosity what did the folks at south park think of the dnagers of second hand smoke.

Me I think its BS, yeah with all the facotries, cars, busses kicking out toxic sludge into the air it't the little thread of smoke from a cigarrete that gets me :rolleyes: .

By the way I just want o promote smoking. Smokers generally die younger, and nothing costs society more than really old people.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
johnsemlak said:
Hello Gary

You probably don't remember but awhile back in the previous thread I asked about the NPC Nilonim from D3--The Vault of the Drow.

I wanted to expand on that. In the times you ran that module, (how many times did you run it, if I may ask) Did Nilonim (the drow prisonor chained in the Lloth Temple to be sacrified to her, who was neutral with good tendencies) ever become significantly involved with the PCs? Did you have particular reasons for putting him where he was?

John Semlak

I recall the question...vaguely;)

Now that you've expanded the material, I believe I can comment in more satisfactory fashion.

I ran the Vault' midule three or four times, first with my personal group, then with TSR staffers, then at a con or two. Never once did any party get to Nilonim,. He was there to tesr the players, to see if they were in a kill first and talk later mode, and to call their attention to such mindest of they found and slew him. It was to provide some roleplay and questioning opportunity outside the city encounters as well. Nilonim was placed where he was, in peril, to sort of give the PCs a hint he moight not be Evil to the core as most in the place are.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Shard O'Glase said:
just out of curiosity what did the folks at south park think of the dnagers of second hand smoke.

Me I think its BS, yeah with all the facotries, cars, busses kicking out toxic sludge into the air it't the little thread of smoke from a cigarrete that gets me :rolleyes: .

By the way I just want o promote smoking. Smokers generally die younger, and nothing costs society more than really old people.

Heh:)

South Park classed the "government warnings" about second hand smoke as lies, along with the silly crap about drug use supporting terrorism. right you are about auto and other toxic emmissions clouding the skies. It makes me shake my head in wonder to see health conscious folk who watch their diet, don't smoke, out running or jogging beside a busy road. Breathe deeply, good people, and a good thing you aren't adding tobacco smoke to that crap you're inhaling.

As for smokers dying younger than average, right! That's the 30% i noted, and 3 in 10 is not a very good odds ratio, so I discourage others from taking up the habit. Most of my children don't smoke, one alone does, and that only occassionally.

Damn, all this typing makes me want to have a cigar and coffee now.

Cheers,
Gary

diaglo

Adventurer
Re: To Each his Own

Col_Pladoh said:
Well, amigo...

Appreciate the concerm though, for sure.

well i'm with the government and here to help you. :D

the check is in the mail

and all that jazz.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Re: To Each his Own

diaglo said:

well i'm with the government and here to help you. :D

the check is in the mail

and all that jazz.

Heh!

As a Libertarian I'll say no thanks. Just let me retain my individual liberty and make my own way, life decisions included ;)

cheers,
Gary

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
The long module is just that. HALL OF MANY PANES should take about a year to complete assuming about 40 sessions of four-hour length during a typical gaming year. I am still running it for my group, and they are surprised by the variery of encounters, situations, and environments I managed to work into it :eek:

Troll Lord Games is play-testing it now too, and likely will package it as a boxed set due to its size.

Is there any chance you and TLG will reconsider the whole box set thing? I side with the many people who don't care for them as much for the following reasons:

1. They usually don't hold up as well as hardbacks.
2. They have a larger footprint.
3. Materials are more easily lost.
4. The material is actually harder to access due to the format and storage.

This is not to mention that I already have more box sets than I know what to do with. I still have the original Greyhawk box set, the Forgotten Realms (1st and 2nd edition) and related box sets, Return to the Tomb of Horrors, the Rod of Seven Parts, etc. all taking up too much space. I would like to take the new adventure and be able to file it next to Necropolis, The Hermit, and the Slayer's Guide to Dragons.

Just something to consider. Keep up the great work!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mark said:
Poppa G,

Just for giggles, please vote in this poll and post to the thread...

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38792

:)

Actually, I was a gamer in the 1940s--cards and chess, from there added varius boardgames, chess variants, mah jongg. In 1958 I played my first board wargame, and was a military miniatures buff by the early 1960s. Having "1970" as the earliest decade one could vote for as being a gamer is discriminatory :D

Heh,
Hary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads