TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The Merciful

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
when i am out of reading material that I am excited about likely I will picj up The Children of Hurin. After all, I did really enjoy reading The Hobbit. Perhaps the "singing Sword" wielded by Prince Valiant was a source of inspiration for JRRT. Anyway, IIRR there are some talking swords in fairy tales. It has been decades since I read those of Andrew Lang where I think they appear.
Actually I can say with good confidence in Tolkien's case his insipration has been Kalevala (the finnish national epic for those who might not know). Tale of Hurin's children is pretty much retelling of Kullervo's tale, including unwitting incest, suicide in guilt and a talking sword.

Speaking of Kalevala, if you drop 'd' from Mordenkainen, you actually have a name you could fool a born Finn with. Not too bad for a foregner. :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Naidim said:
Indeed, there is no happy ending for Thomas Covenant, which for me is one of the reasons I like it (and hate most movies to come out of Hollywood these days). Conquest is not always successful; endings, even when successful, are not always happy; and happiness is all about your point of view.

The stories made for enjoyable, unpredictable, reading.

I'd be so humble as to suggest "Daughter of Regals and Other Tales" first, and if you enjoy them, give chronicles another chance.

As to parallel worlds, Zelazny had it right with Amber long ago. :)
Heh...

I believe this is an instance of needing to agree to disagree :lol:

Lugubrious lepers do not have the least bit of appeal to me. I read for enjoyment, and crappy stuff is founf almost everywhere in real life :mad:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
The Merciful said:
Actually I can say with good confidence in Tolkien's case his insipration has been Kalevala (the finnish national epic for those who might not know). Tale of Hurin's children is pretty much retelling of Kullervo's tale, including unwitting incest, suicide in guilt and a talking sword.

Speaking of Kalevala, if you drop 'd' from Mordenkainen, you actually have a name you could fool a born Finn with. Not too bad for a foregner. :D
:D

I have read Kalevala several times, admire Vainomoinen greatly, have seen the b&w Eussian film about his journey to Pojola with Ilmarnen to get Louhi's daughter, and much enjoyed de Camp's & Pratt's Wall of Serpents drawn from Finnish mythology. Ir was not by chance that my first and still most potent mage PC was named Mordenkainen.

Cheerio,
Gary

dcas

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
when i am out of reading material that I am excited about likely I will picj up The Children of Hurin. After all, I did really enjoy reading The Hobbit.
It is much more grim than The Hobbit. I would really like to recommend it to you (I just finished it this evening), but you've said that you don't like downers (although I do think that Turin is a much more noble character than Thomas Covenant).

The sword in question only speaks once.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Characters such as Elric, Shadow Jack, and Kugel are more interesting to me than painfully noble or pedantically distressed ones. Frankly, I thing the fantasy genre is for action and adventue, blood and thunder, swords and sorcery, not for some pot of message :mad:

Cheerio,
Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Gary, I know you said you don't have much use for fantasy fiction of the most recent couple of decades, but what about Gene Wolfe? His "Book of the New Sun" and "Wizard Knight" books, among others, are as good as anything I've ever read in the genre, bar none. If you haven't done so, I'd highly recommend putting "The Knight" and the "The Wizard" by Wolfe on your reading queue. At least give the editorial reviews synopsized at Amazon a glance and see if they pique your interest: http://www.amazon.com/Knight-Part-W...3756659?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177777947&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Book-T...5288609-3756659?ie=UTF8&qid=1177777947&sr=8-1

Last edited:

dcas

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Characters such as Elric, Shadow Jack, and Kugel are more interesting to me than painfully noble or pedantically distressed ones. Frankly, I thing the fantasy genre is for action and adventue, blood and thunder, swords and sorcery, not for some pot of message :mad:
I do not mean that Turin is "painfully noble" or "pedantically distressed," only that he is a more noble and manly character than the leprous rapist Thomas Covenant. Of course Elric isn't "painfully noble," he's painfully ignoble. ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Gary, I know you said you don't have much use for fantasy fiction of the most recent couple of decades, but what about Gene Wolfe? His "Book of the New Sun" and "Wizard Knight" books, among others, are as good as anything I've ever read in the genre, bar none. If you haven't done so, I'd highly recommend putting "The Knight" and the "The Wizard" by Wolfe on your reading queue. At least give the editorial reviews synopsized at Amazon a glance and see if they pique your interest: http://www.amazon.com/Knight-Part-W...3756659?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177777947&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Book-T...5288609-3756659?ie=UTF8&qid=1177777947&sr=8-1
Well maybe I'll take a look, but the authors one reviewer compared him with were not at all the sort that I find entertaining, such as Ursula Le Guin.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
dcas said:
I do not mean that Turin is "painfully noble" or "pedantically distressed," only that he is a more noble and manly character than the leprous rapist Thomas Covenant. Of course Elric isn't "painfully noble," he's painfully ignoble. ;)
I beg your pardon, but I do not find Elric painful in any respect...in the initial two books in the series in any case. He is, as far as I am concerned, the ultimate model for an anti-hero, much as is Zelazny's Shadow Jack.

Cheers,
Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:
Well maybe I'll take a look, but the authors one reviewer compared him with were not at all the sort that I find entertaining, such as Ursula Le Guin.

Cheers,
Gary

Personally, I'd compare him to Jack Vance and Lord Dunsany. Those are the only two that immediately leap to mind. Ursula LeGuin...I don't see the resemblance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases