TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Ah, so the Gygax family was from the County of Urnst, it would seem. :)
:lol:

Actually, they borrowed the family armorial bearings because of their utter awe of the symbols depicted on that shield :eek:

Gary

Col_Pladoh said:

Actually, they borrowed the family armorial bearings because of their utter awe of the symbols depicted on that shield :eek:

Gary

Ah, I know that smile. That's the same smile I get when I realize my players are paying more attention than I thought. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mark CMG said:
Are you a fan of pre-painted plastic figures used at the game table for RPGs?
Actually, I am noit much given to employing miniatures when playing an RPG. I agree with Plato's assessment of spectacle being the least element of tragedy...

What I really do enjoy, however, is tabletop combat with miniatures; and pre-painted is the way to go as far as I am concerned, as I no longer have the desire, time, nor eyeseight to manage a proper job of painting myself.

Cheerio,
Gary

Jemal

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Very easy questions to answer:

I would not have ever done 3E.

As the new D&D is betond redemption in my view, there are no suggestions I can make in regards to improving it.
Cheers,
Gary
Hmmm.. So, does that mean you've completely given up on any new D&D stuff that wizards puts out, or are you hopeful about the possible 4th edition that everybody (at least around here) has been obsessesing over?
Maybe hopeful is going too far.. How about will you give it a chance, or a pass?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
PapersAndPaychecks said:
Please do read Gene Wolfe, Gary! You'll be glad you did. Really.
I intend to place an order through Amazon sometime in late May or early June, and I'll get at least one Gene Wold them, along with an alternate history novel ot two, and some historical novels as well.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jemal said:
Hmmm.. So, does that mean you've completely given up on any new D&D stuff that wizards puts out, or are you hopeful about the possible 4th edition that everybody (at least around here) has been obsessesing over?
Maybe hopeful is going too far.. How about will you give it a chance, or a pass?
Here are the RPGs I am or will soon GM:
Lejendary Adventure
Lejendary AsteRogues (coming out late this year, I hope)
OD&D
OAD&D

I will happily play:
The above RPGs
Metamorphisis Alpha
Any nin-rules-heavy RPG that someone else is willing to run for the group.

That answer your question?

Cheerio,
Gary

Quasqueton

First Post
Gary,

When you designed the game and wrote the DMG and other materials for a DM (including adventure modules and Dragon magazine articles), were you thinking of the DM as a participant separate from the character players? A DM as someone who always was the DM, and someone to whom you [the designer] spoke to differently?

I’m having a hard time phrasing my questions, so please bear with me as I try to explain.

Did you consider the DM as a regular role for just one person in the gaming group, instead of a role taken up by anyone and everyone in a group at some time or other? Much of your guidance and advice seems to talk to the DM as someone leading/guiding the game group overall and regularly – sort of a teacher or master or president of the group – rather than just another member of the group who might happen to have the reigns (so to speak) just for a game session or adventure this week or month or year.

Is this how you envisioned the role of DM? That only the one person in the game group would/should own and read the DMG? That only that one person would always be the DM for that group?

Was that the expectation for most D&D game groups at the time? That only one person would regularly/ever be the DM, and all the others would only be character players? And only the DM should have any book beyond the Player’s Handbook?

Do you think that a game group is better to have a set DM who always runs the game? Or could/should anyone or everyone in the game group take the role occasionally?

Quasqueton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases