TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hadit said:
Greetings Gary,
Back a ways in the thread you were speaking about reading material. I just wanted to offer a fiction selection: "The Book of the New Sun" by Gene Wolfe. I consider it to be the finest sf/fantasy novel(s) I have ever read... very inspirational!
Take care, Duglas

thanks for the tip, and when I am searching for some fantasy fiction I'll make a point of looking for Gene Wolfe;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
G'day Gary!

Wow... the thread continues! ;)

It occurred to me the other day that you've told many stories about your players and yourself going into great danger to get treasure...

...what happened to the treasure?

What did you spend it on?

Or does Mordenkainen have a great pile of gold and platinum underneath his stronghold that a new generation of adventurers can seek to obtain? ;)

Cheers!

Hi Merric,

Building a vast stronghold, and employing lots of henchmen and troops, tends to take care of excess wealth;) Any leftover treasure went to dragons Ghorki and Porki for their bedding :D

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
jgbrowning said:

I have to add a big "heck yes!" to Stone's book. It was out of print for a long time (may still be, dunno), but if you want only one book on arms and armor, this is probably the one for you.

joe b.

Joe, it can ;ikely be found used online, maybe even on Ebay. It is a real must for the arms & armor buff for sure:)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Baraendur said:
Well, I'm going to interject an opinion about the whole art vs. trade where it regards RPG's. The rules have to be functional as a system, which would suggest that the design of them is a trade. On the other hand, different designers have their own style, and people will make purchasing decisions based on the name on the cover. Books with the names Monte Cook, Gary Gygax, Sean K. Reynolds, and Chris Pramas (among others) tend to outsell the ones by lesser known designers. This suggests art. I think that a game can be both art and a trade. A carpenter who is known to extremely nice nightstands will be viewed as both, so why can't a game designer?

Okay, if the term "art" is extended to artistic design elements, as in craftwork done by masters of their trade, I'll buy what you suggest ;)

Playing an RPG is participating in a form of entertainment, though, not art by any stretch of the imagination (pun intended).

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Baraendur said:
Well, I'm going to interject an opinion about the whole art vs. trade where it regards RPG's. The rules have to be functional as a system, which would suggest that the design of them is a trade. On the other hand, different designers have their own style, and people will make purchasing decisions based on the name on the cover. Books with the names Monte Cook, Gary Gygax, Sean K. Reynolds, and Chris Pramas (among others) tend to outsell the ones by lesser known designers. This suggests art. I think that a game can be both art and a trade. A carpenter who is known to extremely nice nightstands will be viewed as both, so why can't a game designer?

Design can be more than workmanlike, so yes. there is some degree of art involved in writing game material. As you note, something akin to that of a master craftsman's or artisan's touch in making furniture or jewelry. On playing a RPG, though, there is no art involved;)

Cheers,
Gary

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:

Design can be more than workmanlike, so yes. there is some degree of art involved in writing game material. As you note, something akin to that of a master craftsman's or artisan's touch in making furniture or jewelry. On playing a RPG, though, there is no art involved;)

Not to disagree with you, but I'll play devil's advocate for a moment. :D

Couldn't participating in an RPG almost be considered an odd form of performance art? Just a thought. You don't have to answer that.

pogre

Legend
Re: Boxed Set HOMP Presentation

Col_Pladoh said:

With a ms. over 500 pages in length, some maps and hand-outs not included, there will need to be two books for the module. A boxed set seems the best answer. Maybe a book-sized one, a sleeve that could accommodate the volumes and loose-page material would be better received than a large box...?

Cheerio,
Gary

I like the idea of a nice big box - foldout maps, handouts, map overlays - put it all in a box. Sounds awesome!

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Adding to the Art Topic

I wouldn't call a game session art. I would say that one could use what occurred in a game session as source material for art. The retelling of the events as literature, illustrations of dramatic moments or scenes from the game setting.

A lot like real life.

An RPG is not art. An RPG is a tool one can use to create art. The Paladin has a dramatic (and fatal) bout with a demon lich? Then you could get stories, painting, sculpture, dramatic presentations et. al. out of the event.

Let's say the party then retreats from the beast's lair, to rest and recoup, and enlist assistance against the creature. They tell of their encounter and the Paladin's demise, with the result that the local minstrels, troubadors, and Bards compose lays and ballads of the deed. Thus does the world come more to life for the players. Be there any budding artists among the players, the DM could encourage them to present how they see the battle. Artwork that he can then present to others as examples of what has occurred in the past and of the sort of world he presents in his game.

This leading us to the "art" of playing and GMing RPGs, but that's getting off the subject.

On a much less serious note.

Gary, of course I'd edit any manuscript you send me. It's my religious duty. Good reader, the next time you read Necropolis or The Slayer's Guide to Dragons, send up a prayer for the editors who worked on the volume. To be charitable, Gary's use of English composition is, uhm, "inventive".:D

(If bad grammar was the mark of a great writer, Gary Gygax would be this generation's Shakespeare.)

Geoffrey

First Post
HALL OF MANY PANES sounds like it might be your best module yet, Gary!

You might enjoy what's going on where I live (Pueblo, Colorado). On January 1st a city-wide smoking ban in ALL public places (including bars) went into effect. The heroic bar owners united and collected far and away enough signatures to get the ban suspended. Now the little orcs and Wormtongues on the city council have to decide whether to just drop the whole thing or send it to a general election.

Heh. One of my favorite parts of the Two Towers movie is the scene in which Gimli is eating and drinking beer in Theoden's hall, Aragorn is smoking, and they all are armed to the teeth. Weapons, alcohol, and tobacco: The good guys don't forbid these things! :D

ScottGLXIX

First Post
Gary, I remember not too long ago you were trying to remember what a bit of the poem refering to Thrommel in the ToEE meant, the nine, On thre, in six, lies nine... Did you ever remember what the nine was for? Also, for many years, I was always curious about Lareth from the moathouse being a cleric of Lolth, it never really went anywhere in the published version. I'm guessing now that you had originally intended to go with Lolth, but because of using her in the GDQ series you wanted to come up with something new, and Zuggtmoy ended up being behind things at the temple, and Lareth could just be considered a cleric of Zuggy, or did you have bigger plans for Lolth?
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases