TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

JDM

First Post
another thank you

Gary - I just wanted to add my few words of thanks for your role in creating and developing AD&D. The level of detail and thought that went into almost every word in the DMG - for instance the "whores subtable" in the City random encounter tables - gave me many hours of pleasure in my younger years, and its a hobby I hope to rediscover in years to come, perhaps even with my kids.

Thank you also for your unfailing courtesy and humour in this thread. When I first found it - well, vol IX thereof - I could not believe that EGG was just shooting the breeze with the great unwashed.

You have brought so much joy to so many; it is only fair to wish you much happiness in return.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Col_Pladoh said:
Ah...Finally! I have the old account back online here :D
Hi, Mister G. :)

If you don't mind me asking, how much RPG paraphernalia of yours do you own? As in, do you make it a point to own copies of the things you've published, or is that something you haven't really thought about consciously?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Poppa G,

What is your favorite boardgame of all time?

Thanks and Happy Father's Day!

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Gary,

I had purchased an airline ticket and a pass for Lake Geneva Con and was very excited to go. However, last weekend my instructor had difficulties sending my library proctor my final exam for my master's degree in history. So I get an e-mail the Sunday night before the trip that the computer issue was resolved and I needed to set aside 6 hours out of my day to take the test or else get a failing grade since I was already taking it late. :( The good news is that I "passed with distinction" from the results of my exam taking this weekend. The bad news is that I missed the Con I was looking forward to since the first opportunity I had to take the exam at the library was on the weekend when I was not working.

So, would you tell those of us here that wished we could have been there how it went?

Thanks!
DT

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Col_Pladoh said:
WotC should be marketing an introdctory boxed D&D game at a low pirchase price

They are.

Also: D&D for Dummies, Dungeon Mastering for Dummies.

, this work designed to interest the participant in expanding the game into the full-blown D&D offering--most easily by acquiring additional sets as was done with Original D&D.

Hmm. Do the minis and tiles count? Otherwise, Player's Kit.

Of course, they no longer have effective consumer interest/loyalty-building support vehicles such as GenCon

True. Run by Peter Adkison now.

, the magazines

Going online.

, and an active RPGA

RPGA is very active as far as I can see.

I've seen Wizards market the D&D Basic game through library participation activities, and a promotion on the History Channel. I don't buy non-D&D magazines and comics, so I'm not in the target audience any more for such things and cannot comment.

I know that Charles Ryan was very happy with sales of the D&D Basic Game when I asked him about it a couple of years ago. Since then there has been a new edition; I really need to ask Scott Rouse about how Wizards promote D&D these days.

Of course, Gleemax.com is also intended to promote D&D for these internet-capable youths... more and more of the audience.

Cheers!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ghul said:
Shucks! I was hoping they would next eliminate your ability to be Hardboiled, just to see if your next handle would be SunnySideUp. :p

--Ghul
That sort of thing would be shirred agony for me. Thankfully afdter I scrambled to correct the problem the server coddled me :uhoh:

:lol:
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
jonesy said:
Hi, Mister G. :)

If you don't mind me asking, how much RPG paraphernalia of yours do you own? As in, do you make it a point to own copies of the things you've published, or is that something you haven't really thought about consciously?
Back in the initial daze of TSR, I was not too careful about keeping copies of the products I had a hand in designing, that were published by the company. If I had been more assiduous in that regard, I'd have a small fortune of brown-box D&D sets and the like stashed away. These days I do make certain to set aside author's copies and keep comps received of other things as well.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JDM said:
Gary - I just wanted to add my few words of thanks for your role in creating and developing AD&D. The level of detail and thought that went into almost every word in the DMG - for instance the "whores subtable" in the City random encounter tables - gave me many hours of pleasure in my younger years, and its a hobby I hope to rediscover in years to come, perhaps even with my kids.

Thank you also for your unfailing courtesy and humour in this thread. When I first found it - well, vol IX thereof - I could not believe that EGG was just shooting the breeze with the great unwashed.

You have brought so much joy to so many; it is only fair to wish you much happiness in return.
:lol: :eek: :lol:

Thanks for the good words.

As for the table mentioned, I crated it because I was bores with the continual reference to "whores" in both the historical and fantasy fiction genres and in RPG play. Of course I did get a ration of s**t from some quarters for including it. As it was included in the spirit of improving the readers comprehension of the olders profession, and broadening the vocabulary of the reader thereby, I have no particular regrets about including it :uhoh:

Cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads