TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sniktch said:
Wow! Remind me never to try robbing your house :D I'd have to fall in the category of buying gun books to look at the pictures, but not being able to afford one myself. I mean, one gun = dozens of RPG products :D

Heh, and I got an early start. My grandfather matched my savings so that I could buy my first .22 rifle, a single-shor, bolt-action Winchester, when I was age 12. He kept the bolt, and I had to learn all the safety rules and do target shooting with him, hunt only with an adult, until I was age 13. From then on I worked and saved to pick up other firearms. My first shotgun was a 16 gauge three-shot, bolt-action Mossberg. Managed to bag a few pheasants and ducks with it. By trading I picked up a couple of better .22s, and then I got an old 12 gauge single-barrel shotgun that would self-break and eject a magnum shell :eek: So the armory began when I was a lad and has taken many years to become what it is.

BTW, I have in the part chased two sets of would-be burglars off by suddenly appearing with a weapon in hand, pointed only in their general direction. Funny how quickly they fled, no shots fired at all. the only time a successful burglary took place was when I was away. turned out they caught the perps--teenagers, one whose parent worked at the copshop. He'd stolen my .45, but I got it back:)

Cheers,
Gary

Cheers,
Gary

Geoffrey

First Post
Gary, you'd make your Swiss forebears proud.

Not having the right to defend one's life, liberty, and property with deadly force is the same as not having rights at all.

When I first started playing D&D as a child in 1980, I recognized a certain sense of liberty in the AD&D and D&D games. In retrospect, I think it is your libertarianism shining through.

I most commonly describe myself as an anarcho-capitalist. The pillars of my political thought are Murray Rothbard, Hans-Hermann Hoppe, Doris Gordon, and lewrockwell.com. Where in the libertarian spectrum do you put yourself?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:

I most commonly describe myself as an anarcho-capitalist. The pillars of my political thought are Murray Rothbard, Hans-Hermann Hoppe, Doris Gordon, and lewrockwell.com. Where in the libertarian spectrum do you put yourself?

Can't refer to any particular person when noting my beliefs, as I am pretty much an independant, not tied to any dogma; a Jeffersonian Libertarian, if I must point to some person whose political ideals I follow.

I believe that the individual is responsible as follows:
Self
Family
Friends
Neighbors
Community
The greater polity in its many stages

Central government is necessary, but only to the extent given to it in the Constitution by the People--that power now grossly exceeded.

Cheers,
Gary

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
G'day, Gary!

Given that the films have been out for a little time now, perhaps you can tell us what you thought of Harry Potter: The Chamber of Secrets and The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers?

:)

Someone mentioned a while back that they don't like boxed sets because the boxes get crushed. The best way to combat that is to have enough material in the box so the box can't be crushed. :) It's worked quite well for a couple of sets I own.

So, Gary... if the Hall of Many Panes is slightly under the size of the box, get the Troll Lords to include just a bit more filling.

Alternatively, if the Hall is bigger than the box, a larger box may well be in order. ;)

Cheers!

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
This gave me an idea. How about making it a two or three volume set (depending on how the text is organized) plus a box with the maps, player goodies, etc. in a slip case that can fit into a standard book shelf?

This could lead to… …The Toril Encyclopedia for D&D8e. A 15 volume set containing every bit of information every produced for the Forgotten Realms setting, with annual updates. Bound in alligator hide (the cheapest leather you can get next to cow hide) from the famous alligator farms of Milwaukee WI.;) (Who said global warming would bring no benefits?)

Darrin Drader

Explorer
MerricB said:
Someone mentioned a while back that they don't like boxed sets because the boxes get crushed. The best way to combat that is to have enough material in the box so the box can't be crushed. :) It's worked quite well for a couple of sets I own.

I was the one making the anti-box argument, but given the sheer size of this monstrosity, I think a box will be fine. I just can't wait for it to be released now.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Late to the party as usual...

Howdy Merric,

I found the second Harry Potter film a letdown, not anywhere near the 9 I gave the initial one, more of a 6. On the other hand, despite TTT being too long, I had to rate it a 9, So much for my movie critic roll :rolleyes:

As far as I know, the Trolls are in process of play-testing the HALL', and whilst that takes place doing their planning for its presentation. I am fairly confident it will be boxed, but the actual composition will be a surprise to me, most likely...

Alan,

Great idea that, but one will need actual strength of 18 or better to lift the product you suggest :eek:

Darrin:

My group is playing in the HALL' now--still. They managed two panes last session, and likely will finish another this time. Play value is very high. The group is large and experienced, so they manage most challenges well, properly. After finishing the last portal one of the players wished for some combat, and lo and behold! The next pane chosen was really a H&S one that tests the mettle of all seek & destroy types. They have managed only two of the seven encounters in it, are somewhat damaged, a bit low on energy for activating Powers (casting spells), and might well lose an Avatar or two before this is done. Anyway, they've been playing about half a year and are not quite half of the way through the module.

Cheers,
Gary

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Col_Pladoh said:
Alan,

Great idea that, but one will need actual strength of 18 or better to lift the product you suggest :eek:

On the positive side, you'll have ammo to use against those who consider RPGs light entertainment.:p

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mythusmage said:

On the positive side, you'll have ammo to use against those who consider RPGs light entertainment.:p

Not only online but on punning target, eh Alan?

I plead no contest, as I was up too late last night...

Ciao,
Gary

Geoffrey

First Post
Hi, Gary. I have some Lejendary Adventure questions for you:

1. Why did you include Psychogenics in the game? I remember you had expressed regret for including psionics (which seem similar) in D&D and AD&D.

2. If I drop Psychogenics from the game, are there unfortunate ripples that might adversely affect the game? (Note: I plan on requiring all the players' Avatars to be human, so the "what to do about Wylfs?" question wouldn't crop-up.)

3. What level of play is Hall of Many Panes geared towards? Would a group of new Avatars be able to adventure through it?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads