TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Geoffrey

First Post
Gary, you and Brian Blume share the credits for the 1974 Warriors of Mars game. Do you recall how much each of you contributed to the game? Did you ever referee any rpg campaigns using the individual rules in this game?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Gary, you and Brian Blume share the credits for the 1974 Warriors of Mars game. Do you recall how much each of you contributed to the game? Did you ever referee any rpg campaigns using the individual rules in this game?
Howdy,

As a matter of fact the collaboration was one in which Brian and I contributed around equally. the combat system is his, while I did most of the monsters, and the rest we shared. Brian and I co-GMed a WoM game compaign for a time, and I used the setting for some of my D&D adventures. When the Burroughs Estate shut down the publication, that was the end of active play of the system as a stand-along RPG.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
OTOH, if one considers Sherlock Holmes stories classic, I am quite fond of such classics.
. . .
Sometimes in bad weather I'd burn through three pulp zines a day, or a couple of average novels or a long one. My reading speed back then was near to 600 words a minute with c. 95% comprehension. College studying slowed my speed down a good deal, and I never attempted to regain what was lost as that made the books I enjoyed reading last longer.

I do consider Sherlock Holmes among the classics. 600 wpm reading speed and long, stormy Wisconsin winters explain a lot about you, Gary. :)

Sadly, I'm a much slower reader, so I've read much less, more like 40 pages an hour instead of . . . something like 120 for you?

As for Shakespeare, I like it, but the Shakespeare course was my worst grade in college. Apparently, I was not cut out to study such things, even though my parents met in English department grad school. <shrug>

Col_Pladoh said:
No, the spell-worker ruling the Valley of the Mage was envisioned by me as a demi-urge in retirement rather akin to Tom Bombadil.

Cheerio,
Gary

What's a demi-urge? Ah, something like Tom Bombadil -- no need for further explanation. Thanks for that! :)

Sanguinemetaldawn said:
You know, thats something I never really considered, the idea of one class being "training" for another class. The closest I can think of to this are the zero levels for the cavalier.

The AD&D Bard is interesting, but a bit complicated and very hard to achieve -- especially if you did campaigns where there's no "starting at 6th level" stuff, only starting from 1st level.

The start as one class and become another mechanic is somewhat similar to Prestige Classes in 3.x Edition. In fact, there's a hint in the Living Greyhawk book about Bards of the "Old Lore" existing under what sounds like AD&D Bard rules. I don't think they actually made it a Prestige Class, though, sadly.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
I do consider Sherlock Holmes among the classics. 600 wpm reading speed and long, stormy Wisconsin winters explain a lot about you, Gary. :)

Sadly, I'm a much slower reader, so I've read much less, more like 40 pages an hour instead of . . . something like 120 for you?

As for Shakespeare, I like it, but the Shakespeare course was my worst grade in college. Apparently, I was not cut out to study such things, even though my parents met in English department grad school. <shrug>
Yes, my reading speed was at c. 600 wpm until I was out of my teens, began reading more serious history, not merely Harolf Lamb books and historical novels. It dropped lower when I went to college.

I haven't timed myself for many years, but I expect I read at about 100 or so wpm for serious books, double that when reading an exciting bit of fiction. I burned through the Richard Sharpe series by Cornwell far too quickly :eek:

Cheerio,
Gary

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Those who don't know "demiurge" have not studied their Plato well enough. :)

By the way, I had a professor that firmly believed that a sniper should be placed near the graduation stage at college commencements, and any student who has not studied The Republic should be shot just as he reaches for his diploma.

Gentlegamer said:
Those who don't know "demiurge" have not studied their Plato well enough. :)

By the way, I had a professor that firmly believed that a sniper should be placed near the graduation stage at college commencements, and any student who has not studied The Republic should be shot just as he reaches for his diploma.

I read it, but all I can remember is The Cave, the "silver" class (warriors and protectors), and the philosopher king idea.

I remember thinking at the time, "All these different ways of running the state, that's a lot like the table in the DMG, but no magocracy." :)

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
"Read" =/= "studied" :)

The demiurge is not described in Republic, though. It is found in the dialog, Timaeus.

Gary, you've mentioned some college studies. I recall that you had a description of your overall formal education at your old homepage . . . would you mind recounting it here please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads