TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

rossik

Explorer
hi gary!

im a little "off" from the boards, as im goingo to get married next week (what?! nobody missed me? :p ).

but i just whant to wish you and all your afmily (And our gamers family!) merry x-mas and a happy new year, full of new perspectives and health to all

Yes, Merry Christmas, Gary, and early Happy New Year.

One of my old friends got a critical hit the other day, killing a hell hound. This launched into stories about great crits from previous campaigns decades ago. At the end, he said, "God, I love D&D."

Thanks for making so many people happy, Gary. ;)

Hi Gary:

Happy holidays.

I'd bet cash money that this has been asked before, but here we go. I know the game "Outdoor Survival" was listed as being required for early D&D wilderness adventures. I also know that many people simply used the map included with the game. Was there more to it than that? How did you use the game in D&D?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Yuletide Greetings Great Bear King

That is an interesting idea for a lengthy adventure, although it assumes dragons of a far less predatory and rapacious sort that ae typically presented. Not a bad idea at all ;)

Christmas best wishes,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
rossik said:
hi gary!

im a little "off" from the boards, as im goingo to get married next week (what?! nobody missed me? :p ).

but i just whant to wish you and all your afmily (And our gamers family!) merry x-mas and a happy new year, full of new perspectives and health to all
Christmas BLessings Rossik,

Thanks for your thoughts, and congratulations to you, best wishes to your bride to be, on your forthcoming nupruals.

Yuletide cheer,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Yes, Merry Christmas, Gary, and early Happy New Year.

One of my old friends got a critical hit the other day, killing a hell hound. This launched into stories about great crits from previous campaigns decades ago. At the end, he said, "God, I love D&D."

Thanks for making so many people happy, Gary. ;)
Christmas Cheer!

Yes, reminising is a great feature of the D&D game with a group of long-time players.

Yuletide best,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Fifth Element said:
Hi Gary:

Happy holidays.

I'd bet cash money that this has been asked before, but here we go. I know the game "Outdoor Survival" was listed as being required for early D&D wilderness adventures. I also know that many people simply used the map included with the game. Was there more to it than that? How did you use the game in D&D?
Yuletide Cheer,

We used the map, moved counters on it, and rolled for getting lost, so that one was never certain which direction one would head on a turn. Random encounters were used, and the ponds were castles, so there was some jousting rather thanb regular mortal combat.

That's pretty well sums it up--at least all that I can recall after 30 years.

Merrie Christmas,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads