Q&A with Gary Gygax - Page 87
  1. #861
    Member
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Mathew_Freeman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    6,635
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    The Perturbed DragonGygax Memorial FundENniesI Defended The Walls!Moderator

    Block Mathew_Freeman


    Friend+
    Ahah! After months of seeing this thread and being vaguely impressed that I could potentially talk to the guy that started the whole D&D thing...I have a question!

    It's not a very good question, though, sorry.

    I'm playing in a campaign using the Lost City of Gaxmoor, and yesterday we spent some time having statues described to us. The Wizard is now planning revenge on the DM for reading out all the statue descriptions by planning to use shrink item on the lot of them to sell them in a nearby large city...

    So here's my question. Why O why O why did you write such long descriptions?

  2. #862
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Merric, thanks for supplying the zine numbers.

    Alan, that's a good plot line.

    My concept was that Eclavdra was aiming at dominance of the Drow through using the EEG to replace Lolth. she, as the chief priestess of the elemental deity would then be the mistress of all. The final scenario was to have been one in which the adventurers got involved in the battle between the evil entities and made it so that both lost and were tossed back to their own planes, relatively powerless in the Mundane world for some time to come.

    The Sunless Sea was indeed meant to serve as a place for further subterranean adventuring, of course. Always leave some room for that sort of thing, obvious or concealed in the setting

    Cheers,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Mark CMG, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

  3. #863
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Originally posted by Tallarn
    Ahah! After months of seeing this thread and being vaguely impressed that I could potentially talk to the guy that started the whole D&D thing...I have a question!

    It's not a very good question, though, sorry.

    I'm playing in a campaign using the Lost City of Gaxmoor, and yesterday we spent some time having statues described to us. The Wizard is now planning revenge on the DM for reading out all the statue descriptions by planning to use shrink item on the lot of them to sell them in a nearby large city...

    So here's my question. Why O why O why did you write such long descriptions?
    Heh, happy to have some fun here, and your's is not a bad question at all...only directed at the wrong Gygax

    My sons Ernie and Luke write THE LOST CITY OF GAXMOOR, and I did only some suggestions (mainly as to the statues) and play-testing (as Tempros Ganger).

    The descriptions of the statues have a purpose. Of course they aren't meant to be read serially, only when a party is near to one so as to be able to "see" all the details. Play will reveal more.

    BTW, if I were the DM, I think the Wizard in the party would have his spell rebound, and he'd get minimalized whenever he tried to mess with the statues like that

    Cheers,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Mark CMG, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

  4. #864
    Member
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Mathew_Freeman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    6,635
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    The Perturbed DragonGygax Memorial FundENniesI Defended The Walls!Moderator

    Block Mathew_Freeman


    Friend+
    Originally posted by Col_Pladoh
    BTW, if I were the DM, I think the Wizard in the party would have his spell rebound, and he'd get minimalized whenever he tried to mess with the statues like that

    Cheers,
    Gary
    The DM in question (S'mon on these boards) has mentioned that some of them radiate magic, but no more yet. I await with interest to see what happens.

    There's a SH based on the campaign if you have time to take a peek. http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showt...threadid=28405

  5. #865
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Originally posted by Tallarn


    The DM in question (S'mon on these boards) has mentioned that some of them radiate magic, but no more yet. I await with interest to see what happens.

    There's a SH based on the campaign if you have time to take a peek. http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showt...threadid=28405
    Talk about long threads!

    S'mon seems to have a good turn of phrase; the accounts are interesting. You all must be having some great fun in the adventure. Reading those reports was near enough to get me interested in playing 3E. Shows what a good DM can do Hope you enjoy discovering more about the statues of Gaxmoor...

    Cheers,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Mark CMG, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

  6. #866

    Re: Re: Pronunciation, D-series

    Originally posted by Col_Pladoh



    As for Q1, Ask Dave Sutherland and Brian Blume about that. It was taken out of my hands by the latter when Sutherland discovered the "Demonweb" pattern in a hand towel and talked Brian into using it as the main theme for the concluding module. I had no creative control over it.

    I had hoped to get to the Elder Elemental god in a sequal to the ToEE, but...

    Bah,
    Gary
    A hand towel???

    That's surely an example of how ideas that inspire creativity can from from the oddest sources.


  7. #867
    Gary,

    I have been following this thread for a while now and wanted to thank you for creating something that has given me years of enjoyment.

    TTOEE is my all time favorite series and I have been DMing it for four years now in a play by post game. I as a DM I really enoy the fact that it is open enough to add my own material which I have done on numerous occasions. I wish there modules like that being published now. I did just purchase Necropolis and am working on intergrating it into my Greyhawk Campaign. I was considering placing it in the Sea of Dust or Dry Steepes.

    After reading all the post in both threads I was finally able to come up with a question. I really enjoy the Ranger class and always wondered about the ruling that no more then 3 rangers could ever work together at one time. I am curious as to the reasoning for that rule. I always thought of the ranger class a fantasy version of Army Rangers, warriors who specialized in fast raids, hit and move tactics and used minimal equipment.

    Thanks again for giving us a great game.

    Decado

  8. #868
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Originally posted by Decado
    Gary,

    I have been following this thread for a while now and wanted to thank you for creating something that has given me years of enjoyment.

    TTOEE is my all time favorite series and I have been DMing it for four years now in a play by post game. I as a DM I really enoy the fact that it is open enough to add my own material which I have done on numerous occasions. I wish there modules like that being published now. I did just purchase Necropolis and am working on intergrating it into my Greyhawk Campaign. I was considering placing it in the Sea of Dust or Dry Steepes.
    A mutually shared pleasure, i assure you It is good to learn that you appreciate the creative room I always try to leave for GMs, so that the material can be personalized as well as fit into the unique campaign.

    As for placing the Necropolis adventure, I'd recommend that you move it off map to a new continent that can a accommodate more civilizations. Nothing wrong with having an Egyptian-Indian-Persian-Burmese-Chinese land mass separated from the Oerik map....if you are so inclined.

    After reading all the post in both threads I was finally able to come up with a question. I really enjoy the Ranger class and always wondered about the ruling that no more then 3 rangers could ever work together at one time. I am curious as to the reasoning for that rule. I always thought of the ranger class a fantasy version of Army Rangers, warriors who specialized in fast raids, hit and move tactics and used minimal equipment.

    Thanks again for giving us a great game.

    Decado
    The stricture was placed in the rules to discourage parties of one sort of character, or an over-balance of one--Rangers. We found that a problem in the large groups we were DMing at the time.

    The Ranger was envisaged as more of a lone scout sort than a trained military man who operated in units.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Mark CMG, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

  9. #869
    Eternal Optimist SILVER DEFENDER
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    MerricB's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Waubra, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    13,107
    Reviews
    Read 11 Reviews
    D&D Adventurer's LeagueGreyhawkD&DDoctor WhoI Defended The Walls!

    Block MerricB


    Friend+
    Rather to my amusement, the "3 Rangers in one party" is faithfully adhered to in the AD&D computer game "Unlimited Adventures". I don't know many who have come afoul of it, though, as you can only have 6 characters in a party...

    Gary, you introduced the new classes of Cavalier, Barbarian and Thief-Acrobat to us in Dragon Magazine and later Unlimited Adventures... were those classes being played by players in your campaign?

    Cheers!
    Merric Blackman
    Merric's Musings - reviews, session reports, play advice
    The Great List of D&D 5E Adventures

  10. #870
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Originally posted by MerricB

    [snip]

    Gary, you introduced the new classes of Cavalier, Barbarian and Thief-Acrobat to us in Dragon Magazine and later Unlimited Adventures... were those classes being played by players in your campaign?

    Cheers!
    Hi Merric

    We had one cavalier, a couple of barbarians, and one thief-actobat ex post facto... I actually worked up a barbarian just to use as an annoyance factor when playing with a group that had greedy mages in it. Of course I made sure to have a goodly number of sympatico PCS around to avoid undue retribution for his destruction of "stinking magic!"

    Heh,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Mark CMG, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

Closed Thread
Page 87 of 880 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697137187587 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Eulogy of Gary Gygax (courtesy of Luke Gygax)
    By Mark CMG in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Tuesday, 4th March, 2014, 08:58 PM
  2. Slate article on Gary's legacy (Merged with Gary Gygax Slandered)
    By maggot in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: Monday, 17th March, 2008, 11:07 PM
  3. In regards to Gary Gygax, A thank you to all of you.
    By KRBourgoine in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Wednesday, 12th March, 2008, 01:22 PM
  4. Thank you,Gary Gygax!
    By elforcelf in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Thursday, 29th December, 2005, 04:31 AM
  5. Q&A with Gary Gygax Pt. 3
    By Dinkeldog in forum Archive-threads
    Replies: 350
    Last Post: Tuesday, 22nd July, 2003, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •