TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
grodog said:
Sounds great, Gary: hopefully you'll rediscover the story, and it'll see print. If you're interested, I'll keep you in the loop on my discussions with Justin re: a new edition of his father's books.
I have met Justin and spolen and written to him a few times in the past. I would very much like to be kept informed about any arrangements for reprinting Fritz's stories.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
francisca said:
Hey Gary!

I noticed the original version of S4 was titled "Lost Caverns of Tsojconth", the spelling of S4 being Tsojcanth.

Tsojconth happens to be an anagram of "John Scott". Given your fondness of such, I was wondering if this anagram was intentional, and who John Scott might be, if this is indeed the case.

As always, thanks!
:lol:

Just a typo there. My original spelling was Tsojcanth, a name I made up to sound exotic even in the WoG context.

Chaario,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
The Great Bear King said:
Well then I hope you can finish it soon. That said I have a literary/Role playing question for you Gary. What type or types of villain would consider best for either stories or campaigns out of these three varieties? The first variety of villain commits horrifically evil acts for no other reason than petty spite or delight in inflicting pain and suffering on others. An example of such a villain would be Shakespeare's Richard III, in spite of his incompetence, bumbling stupidity (as far as I'm concerned) and lack of planning and foresight. Villain type number two would be the utterly selfish and ruthless type, willing to enrich themselves through dishonesty and or the sufferings of others. An example of this type of villain would be Gordon Gekko from the 1987 film Wall Street. The third and final villain category would that of the self-righteous terror, believing that their cause is so right and noble nothing they do pursuing goal is morally wrong. The kind of people who think that its acceptable for paladins to start anything resembling the Spanish Inquisition or spark wars and murder countless innocents in the name of peace. An example would include the nobleman I mentioned several posts ago.
Ther nature of a villian rests wholly within the scope of a particular story--or actual historical record.

I tend to favor the egocentric, self-seeking sort that uses whatever means they can to gain what they desire. An overbearing attitude of superiority might be added. A cruel and trecherous nature is also likely a feature of such a figure. This sort of villian is likely to have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Cheers,
Gary

Return to Quag Keep

I just read Andre Norton and Jean Rabe's "Return to Quag Keep", with an intro by our fearless Colonel. My summary of the intro is: "So Andre wanted to write this book, and I said OK, and she did." :)

I like the book.

I have three questions, for Gary and his fans hereabout:
1) One of the characters is a gamer from Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, who is vaguely aware that "Gary something" is from there, and invented the game. Gary, are you a local celebrity in Lake Geneva, or not? That is, do locals know who you are? I'm guessing not, and I'm guessing you probably like it that way. :)

2) Having never read the original Quag Keep, is this meant to be a location on Lake Quag in Perrenland? I assume so. Does it have anything to do with the Exag location in the last issues of Dungeon in the same area? I may have to look that up.

3) At one point, there's a view of the magical areas on (regular) Earth. These include, naturally, some place in Wisconsin but also some place near Chicago. I assume the latter might be the Comeback Inn, which supposedly inspired Dave Arneson's first scene in his first game. Anybody remember where the (now defunct) Comeback Inn was located? Or is there some other ubersignificance to Chicagoland that I'm missing?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
noffham said:
Hola Gary!

I see you are planning on Lake Geneva con this year. Any chance you will return to Gen Con??
Troll Lord Games sponsors the Lake Geneva Gaming Convention as well as the Winterdark event here each January.

I do not have any current plan to attend GenCon.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
I just read Andre Norton and Jean Rabe's "Return to Quag Keep", with an intro by our fearless Colonel. My summary of the intro is: "So Andre wanted to write this book, and I said OK, and she did." :)

I like the book.

I have three questions, for Gary and his fans hereabout:
1) One of the characters is a gamer from Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, who is vaguely aware that "Gary something" is from there, and invented the game. Gary, are you a local celebrity in Lake Geneva, or not? That is, do locals know who you are? I'm guessing not, and I'm guessing you probably like it that way. :)
I doubt that more than a quarter of the people living here, if that, know anything about me.

You are correct about my lack of desire for noteriety...or local fame.

2) Having never read the original Quag Keep, is this meant to be a location on Lake Quag in Perrenland? I assume so. Does it have anything to do with the Exag location in the last issues of Dungeon in the same area? I may have to look that up.
Only Andre could have supplied an to your question.

3) At one point, there's a view of the magical areas on (regular) Earth. These include, naturally, some place in Wisconsin but also some place near Chicago. I assume the latter might be the Comeback Inn, which supposedly inspired Dave Arneson's first scene in his first game. Anybody remember where the (now defunct) Comeback Inn was located? Or is there some other ubersignificance to Chicagoland that I'm missing?
Again, Ms. Niorton wrote the novel based loosely on the D&D gamne and WoG setting, going so without giving me the benefit of her thinking in any regard other than the completed work.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
Ther nature of a villian rests wholly within the scope of a particular story--or actual historical record.

I tend to favor the egocentric, self-seeking sort that uses whatever means they can to gain what they desire. An overbearing attitude of superiority might be added. A cruel and trecherous nature is also likely a feature of such a figure. This sort of villian is likely to have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Cheers,
Gary

So you prefer villain type number two. Well, that's pretty much how I envision a typical red dragon, just red-scaled, clawed, fanged, fire-breathing, magic using and the size of jumbo jet. Red dragons are basically Gordon Gekko with the looks and physical abilities of Smaug and the magical power of Vance's most accomplished wizards. They'd love a world like ours. The SEC would need tanks and anti-aircraft missiles to arrest one of them.

Col_Pladoh said:
I doubt that more than a quarter of the people living here, if that, know anything about me.

You are correct about my lack of desire for noteriety...or local fame.

Thanks for answering my questions, Gary.

Here's wishing you a calm life with fun but no noteriety. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases