TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

So where do we buy them? I was at the web site and didn't' see either of them offered
thanks
Ken

ghul said:
Hi Nagora,

I can help with this one, even though I'm not Gary. When Gary laid out the income and goods/service price lists in the Yggsburgh book, he did so using $ amounts that were supposed to be translated to gold piece equivalents. The editor made a few mistakes along the way, but we are presently addressing this in the Yggsburgh Town Expansion modules (Moat Gate and Town Halls District presently available). This includes revised price lists in the shops as well, should the GM wish to adopt Gary's suggested system in which the exchange rate is such: 1 gp = 50 sp = 500 cp.

Anyway, the mayor was presented by Gary as earning $300,000 per year, and each Council member earning $240,000. So, as you note, the editor did not exchange the $ amount for the gp amount.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
As for the monetary system, the Lejendary Adventure game-based $ one is so much easier than any one based on a gp that I am at a loss to know why TLG insisted on changing what I had used in the Castle Zagyg, Yggsburgh ms. Hire it is:

1 cp = $1
1 sp = $10
1 gp = $500

Call the coin types whatever you like. For example a cp might be called a a ducat and greater value coins referred to as 10 and 500 ducat pieces, or as florins and crowns.

The book in question is featured on the TLG website at this URL:

http://www.trolllord.com/newsite/zagyg/8050.html

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Yes I have 2 copies of that and 2 copies of the east mark I was referring to the 2 modules Ghul had mentioned.
I heartily recommend Any one should pick up the castle and the east mark as they are great supplements even if you don't use C&C For all you LA fans out there :)
Ken

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Joseph Elric Smith said:
Yes I have 2 copies of that and 2 copies of the east mark I was referring to the 2 modules Ghul had mentioned.
I heartily recommend Any one should pick up the castle and the east mark as they are great supplements even if you don't use C&C For all you LA fans out there :)
Ken
The modules are found on the bottom right of this page:

http://www.trolllord.com/newsite/

All of the CZ setting material uses the C&C game system, but with such additions and revisions as I see fit to add to it for the setting, such as the $ monetary system, the added abilities, etc. ;)

Cheers,
Gary

ghul

Explorer
Nagora said:
Thanks for that; I had wondered about the gp:sp:cp ratio too but was going to use 1gp=20sp as per AD&D. 1:50 is fine too.

So: the Mayor's salary is correct and the councillors' should be 12,000, yes?

Yes, if you are saying $20 = 1 gp. See, the original editor for that volume exchanged Gary's $ system as $20 = 1 gp, $2 = 1 sp, $0.20 = 1 cp. That translates to the 3e method of 1 gp = 10 sp = 100 cp. Gary does not prefer this exchange (and FWIW, neither do I). So, as the 24 town modules are being releases, we are using the exchange rate he intended (1:50). Of course, any GM/DM/CK worth their salt can adjust price lists to match the standard of his or her campaign. Well, I hope you enjoy Gary's Yggsburgh and East Mark materials. Let us know if you use them in game play and how it works out. ;)

Best,
--Jeff T.

Gray Mouser

First Post
Colonel, I was recently reviewing the write up of the half-ogre that you did in Dragon and which Roger E. Moore expanded upon later. I was curious as to whether you had any half-ogre PC's in your campaign and, if you did, how they fared in play. I'd be especially interested in the reaction of NPCs when confronted by a half-ogre in a town setting, viz. the reaction of the inhabitants towards the PC.

While half-orc PCs are described as belonging to the 10% of those fellows tht can effectively pass for human I didn't see anything similar stated for the half-ogre. While they probably wouldn't be killed as quickly as a Drow PC I can't imagine half-ogres getting by for extended periods outside of somewhere such as Iuz or the Horned Society!

Thanks!

Gray Mouser

SuStel

First Post
Gray Mouser said:
While half-orc PCs are described as belonging to the 10% of those fellows tht can effectively pass for human I didn't see anything similar stated for the half-ogre. While they probably wouldn't be killed as quickly as a Drow PC I can't imagine half-ogres getting by for extended periods outside of somewhere such as Iuz or the Horned Society!

While I can imagine those human-looking half-orcs keeping a low profile, half-ogres obviously can't do that. Where they don't blend it, they probably use intimidation instead.

"I don' care if I ain't got no tie. Yer gonna let me eat here, or I'm gonna pound yer head in."

rossik

Explorer
hi gary, long time i dont write here, but its always a pleasure talk to you.

im trying to translate some information about my favorite adventures to portuguese (my native language), and while writing about tomb of horrors, i foundo something about acererak being a student of vecna.

this wasnt planed by you, was it?

wish you the best, as always

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Colonel, I was recently reviewing the write up of the half-ogre that you did in Dragon and which Roger E. Moore expanded upon later. I was curious as to whether you had any half-ogre PC's in your campaign and, if you did, how they fared in play. I'd be especially interested in the reaction of NPCs when confronted by a half-ogre in a town setting, viz. the reaction of the inhabitants towards the PC.

Thanks!

Gray Mouser
The idea of half-ogres is one to which I no longer subscribe. About as close to a half-ogre in my campaign was a PC's henchman ogre that was bitten by a werebear. The resulting transformed NPC creatiure was of an alignment quite opposite that of the ogre--and his master, Terrik, as well.

Your observation regarding the viability of a half-ogre character in a human or demi-human community is quite apt.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
rossik said:
hi gary, long time i dont write here, but its always a pleasure talk to you.

im trying to translate some information about my favorite adventures to portuguese (my native language), and while writing about tomb of horrors, i foundo something about acererak being a student of vecna.

this wasnt planed by you, was it?

wish you the best, as always
As far as I am concerned, there is absolutely no connection between Acererak and Vecna!

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads