TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
The idea of half-ogres is one to which I no longer subscribe.

Well, to be honest i seemed from your original article that you weren't overly thrilled with the idea in the first place :) Roger E. Moore attempted to make a stronger case for their viability, although IMHO when you place their strengths next to their weaknesses you get a racial choice that probably be best as an NPC henchman (or perhaps even as a mercenary hireling).

About as close to a half-ogre in my campaign was a PC's henchman ogre that was bitten by a werebear. The resulting transformed NPC creatiure was of an alignment quite opposite that of the ogre--and his master, Terrik, as well.

LOL I think I recall you mentioning this before either here or on another board. I almostfeel sorry for the ogre as the resulting lycanthrope would result in one ugly bear, to say nothing of the alignment shift :D

Your observation regarding the viability of a half-ogre character in a human or demi-human community is quite apt.

Cheers,
Gary

Thanks, Colonel. While I'm for suspension of disbelief in RPGs I try to at least keep an interior consistency when playing. If ogres are evil by nature and the avergae townsman saw some sort of freakish ogre half-bread I imagine the town guard would be called loooong before questions were asked.

Gray Mouser

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Heh...

As a mater of fact, the only half-anything characters in my campaign were the human and either elf and orc ones. As I mentioned jokingly, would a half-halfling be a quartling?

While hafbreed characters can make for some interesting role-playing, the desire for them is generally instigated by some player seeking to gain an advantage through adding and playing such a mixed race character.

Cheers,
Gary

Aeolius

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
...the desire for them is generally instigated by some player seeking to gain an advantage through adding and playing such a mixed race character.

Or a DM seeking to breed hags with just about anything they can catch :D

Granted, 1e has its share, with alu-demons and cambions. I felt obligated to round them out with daemonic, diabolic, and demodand (hrmm... demodandy? ;) ) counterparts.

And Nigel Findley's article, detailing greenhags as the daughters of night hags and annis as the daughters of greenhags, definitely helped shape my perception of the game. He passed away 13 years ago, as of yesterday, but his teachings live on.

Speaking of the "old days" I saw Darlene Pekul is auctioning off some of her 1e artwork at http://www.darlenetheartist.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases