Red Hand of Doom - OOC

Voadam

Legend
Graf said:
Much better idea: Do you allow the Blood of Eberron Class feature from Keith Baker's Dragonmarked Article (Dragon 351)? Basically you give your familiar and get Blood of Eberron.
The Blood of Eberron class feature grants an animal companion as if you were a druid of half your sorcerer level (this stacks with druid and ranger levels).​

Did you check out the sorcerer/wizard short variant from Unearthed Arcana? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererWizard

Graf

Explorer
So I could only get a Fastieth. (B/C Druid level = Sorc level /2 -> 3 and you need 4th for clawfoot from ECS 37). But I dropped 5k on a Healing Collar so I'll have something to take care of the mount.

Decided against the dragonmark, it seemed like it was piling too much on. Instead I picked up a Healing Belt and some potions.

Doing up the animal stats took hours, literally (admittedly my first animal companion in years). Still working on spells. But otherwise basically Done. There's a spreadsheet for the masochistic.

Still struggling a bit with feats.

[sblock=Brodi Twiceborn (CL 6)]
Name: Brodi Halfhaft AKA Brodi Twice-born
Race: Halfling
Class: Battle Sorcerer (UA) 6
Alignment: LN
Religion: Sovereign Host

Appearance
A lean fierce looking halfling; everything about him, from the spiderweb of scars on his face to this weathered clothing to the jury rigged military saddle he sits in looks battered and worn. From the chainmail he looks to be a warrior, the scroll and potion belts strapped to his chest mark him as a mage, and the wobbly way he looks past you rather than at you suggests that something is seriously wrong with him.
His fastieth, covered with nasty purple scars is biggest, ugliest looking riding-saur you've seen.

Personality
Brodi's scary appearance is somewhat ameliorated by his quick, dry wit. His gallows humor is sometimes grating, but more often charming.

Background
Brodi was young, carefree, the seventh of seven boys of the local tribal chief. Blessed in both looks and magical ability he cut a swath through the ladies and was an active campaigner for tribal unification in the face of the various threats alloyed against the plains.
He had periodic powerful dreams of destruction, but choose (he realizes now) to lose himself in fun and frolic instead of taking them seriously. Ignoring this gift would lead ultimately to the destruction of his family and his tribe.

Around his 30th year a nearby militaristic kingdom established a base near his tribe's migrational route. They were excavating ruins from an older, darker era; spies the tribe set indicated they were seeking a weapon of dark power.

A band of Elvin mercenaries approached Brodi's tribe to help guide them to the kingdom's dig without detection. The Elves were themselves in the employ of a rival kingdom, which Brodi never learned. The idealistic young halfling supported working for the elves. Driving foreigners from the plains was good, having others do the fighting for them and getting some pay for it was even better.

The night that Brodi and his fellows guided the elves to the dig site he had his most powerful vision yet. Falling into a kind of trance in his saddle. He awoke to the sound of explosions and screams. His mount had been gutted from beneath him. He watched from a nearby hill in a stunned stupor as purple energy lanced through his tribe's huts; the energy seemed to warp the very space weft of reality itself, turning things inside out, taking half of a body and moving it hundreds of meters away.

Brodi was the only one who survived that night. Not that he was untouched, his sorcerous talents, previously meager, blossomed. Unfortunately every spell he casts calls for the purple energy, like a hungry thing it rushes forth from his fingers, taking chunks of whatever it its elsewhere with sicking sucking sounds. Brodi was never comfortable with physical violence (Flaw: Noncombatant) but the purple energy has also warped his senses, particularly of space and time (Flaw: Inattentive). He often relies upon his mount, Short-toe, to help him notice things.
He found Short-toe wandering the several kilometer wide area that the tribe members and their gear took up. They bonded burying the dead. Brodi is sure that Short-toe, massive and purple tinted, doesn't resemble any mount held by his tribe, or any other he's seen. The creature should be old for a fastieth already, judging by the scale growth, but every year it just gets bigger and meaner.

Years he was a broken man, riding the plains with the elves (who saw meaning in the fact that he alone survived the destruction and allowed him to ride with them provided he "kept up"). Anything that lives heals, Brodi's regained his balance.

He journied to the land of magic, seeking answers. He found nothing about the purple energy that infuses him now, but he did find an order, dedicated to defense and protection. A suicidal action on the part of the halfling in defense of a local noble was called bravery. He's received some training from them; they showed him how to call up his energy and use it to move people and things around without eating them. Brodi imagines he hears whispered complaints in his head when he denies the energy.

And hopes to put into practice their teachings, once he's fully understood the books on their practices that they lent him. [I.e. become an abjurant champion.]

His visions are gone, replaced by a crackling energy that lives under his skin. And he's vowed he won't ignore his "gifts" again, he rides the world seeking a worthy target for the malignant energy that he contains and to prove that he can protect things.

Modus Operandi
Brodi's spells are comprised of a malignant purple force that warps space and reeks of strangeness. The same power that destroyed his tribe had touched him, and left it's mark.
Brodi can take hits if he has to, but he prefers not to, staying on the fringes of combat and using his spells to blast foes. He's a skirmisher, and, while he's got a decent sense of tactics and won't abandon his companions he doesn't stay still if he can help it.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]Strongheart Halfling Battle Sorcerer 6 Moodily Good
Init +4; Senses Spot +0, Listen +0, Search +0
Languages Common , Halfling (if such a language exists)
AC 22 (armor5/dex4/ring1/whenmounted1/size1); touch: 16 ; flat-footed: 17
[sblock=AC with Shield Spell]AC 26 (armor5/dex4/ring1/shield4/whenmounted1/size1) [/sblock]
hp 44 (6 HD)
Fort +4 Ref +8 Will +6 [+8 vs fear][sblock=Save Breakdown]Fort +4 (con1/class2/cloak1) Ref +8 (dex4/class2/feat1/cloak1) Will +6 (wis0/class5/cloak1)[/sblock]
Speed 50 (10 squares -- mounted) or 20 ft (4 squares -- on foot)
Attack Melee punch -1 1d2-2
Attack Ranged Invisible Needle +7 3d4
Base Attack +3 Grapple +1
Attack Options spells
[sblock=Spells]
3rd *** Manyjawsf (7d6 - DC 17)
2nd ***** Baleful Transposition (DC 16), Mirror Image (1d4+2 images)
1st ****** Expeditious Retreat, Magic Missilef (4d4+4), Slide (DC 15), Shieldf
0th ***** Caltrops, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light, Mending, Message, Read Magic
*=remaining slots
f = +1 caster level from Invisible Needle
[sblock=Spells Detail]
0th 5/day | 1st 6/day | 2nd 5/day | 3rd 3/day
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
Combat Gear Collar of Healing, Healing Belt, Third Eye (Freedom), 3 Potions of Cure Light Wounds, Scrolls
Action Points ?
Attributes Str 6 Dex 18 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 19*
* received both improvements for level
SQ Halfling qualities, Cohort
Feats Combat Casting, *Animal Affinityb, Invisible Needle, Talenta Dinosaur Bond, Skill Knowledge (Handle Animal), Skill Knowledge (Ride)
[sblock=*]The free +2/+2 skill bonus we get. Animal Affinity.[/sblock]
Flaws Noncombatant (-2 melee attacks)
Skills Balance +4u Climb -2u Concentration +13 Diplomacy +4u Escape Artist +4u Handle Animal +12* Hide +6u Jump +0 Knowledge (Arcana) + 1 Listen +0 Ride +14 Search +0 Sense Motive +0 Spot +0 Swim -(a lot)
*includes +4 to handle Short-toe
[sblock=Skills detail]see sheet[/sblock]
Possessions Combat Gear + Chainshirt +1 (+5 armor; max dex +4, check-2), Ring of Protection +1, Cloak of Resistance +1, Military Saddle, Daggers x2 (each boot), Travel Documents (Aundair, Talenta Plains), 2 Potions of Pass without a Trace, scrolls, books on how to become an Abjurant Champion once he fulfills the criteria and traveling gear in saddle bags.
[sblock=Scrolls]
Comprehend Languages x 1
Identify x 2
Obscuring Mist x 1
[/sblock]
[sblock=Traveling Gear]dinosaur grooming kit, dinosaur sleeping blankets (they get cold too...), two sacks, 6 sunrods, bed roll, small tent, backpack, 2 weeks of trail rations, spare set of clothing, 50' of silken rope (knotted for easy climbing), chalk (red, white), 8 waterskins, several maps[/sblock]

[sblock=Build Details]
Hit points 8 (Battle Sorc 1) + 30 (Battle Sorc 2-6) + 6(con)

Magic Item Math
see sheet[/sblock]

[sblock=Mount]Short-toe (Fastieth)
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+1 (36 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (+4 chain shirt, +2 Dex, +5 natural, +1 Feat:Talenta Dino Bond), touch 13, flatfooted 19
[sblock=AC with Shield Spell]Armor Class: 26 (+4 chain shirt, +2 Dex, +5 natural, +1 Feat:Talenta Dino Bond, shield 4), touch 13, flatfooted 123[/sblock]
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+6
Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d3+1)
Full Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d3+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent | Druid 3rd (+2 HD/+2 NA/+1str&dex/Link/Share Spell/Empathy/Evasion)
Saves: Fort +6 (hd4/con2), Ref +7*(hd4/dex2) , Will +1 (hd1)
*=Talenta Dino Bond
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 4
Skills: Jump +11, Listen +6, Spot +6, Survival (for track) +4
Feats: Run +1 feat

[sblock=Tricks]
6 + 2 (druid level 3)
  • Come (DC 15): The animal comes to you, even if it normally would not do so.
  • Defend (DC 20): The animal defends you (or is ready to defend you if no threat is present), even without any command being given. Alternatively, you can command the animal to defend a specific other character.
  • Down (DC 15): The animal breaks off from combat or otherwise backs down. An animal that doesn’t know this trick continues to fight until it must flee (due to injury, a fear effect, or the like) or its opponent is defeated.
  • Guard (DC 20): The animal stays in place and prevents others from approaching.
  • Heel (DC 15): The animal follows you closely, even to places where it normally wouldn’t go.
  • Stay (DC 15): The animal stays in place, waiting for you to return. It does not challenge other creatures that come by, though it still defends itself if it needs to.
  • Track (DC 20): The animal tracks the scent presented to it. (This requires the animal to have the scent ability)
  • one more -- is there a trick for (watch out and let me know if you notice anything?)

[/sblock]

[sblock=Link (Ex): ]A druid can handle her animal companion as a free action, or push it as a move action, even if she doesn’t have any ranks in the Handle Animal skill. The druid gains a +4 circumstance bonus on all wild empathy checks and Handle Animal checks made regarding an animal companion.[/sblock]
[sblock=Share Spells (Ex): ]At the druid’s option, she may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) she casts upon herself also affect her animal companion. The animal companion must be within 5 feet of her at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the animal companion if the companion moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the animal again, even if it returns to the druid before the duration expires.

Additionally, the druid may cast a spell with a target of “You” on her animal companion (as a touch range spell) instead of on herself. A druid and her animal companion can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the companion’s type (animal).[/sblock]

[sblock=Evasion (Ex): ]If an animal companion is subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, it takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw. [/sblock]

[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Your call, it would save time down the line, but it's not required as I know it takes a little bit to make one up. Not a factor in my decision making, I'll really only look over them once the finally group is selected.

Rhun

First Post
I may rework my character to combine some swordsage in the mix instead of fighter...I've just got to work through and figure out if I can still get the concept I want.

Walking Dad

First Post
renau1g said:
Your call, it would save time down the line, but it's not required as I know it takes a little bit to make one up. Not a factor in my decision making, I'll really only look over them once the finally group is selected.
Thanks for the quick anwer. Than I will use my spare time to work on the background I think a warforged necromancer would have a greater fun-factor than the changeling wizard...

renau1g

First Post
Actually it will be in "generic" fantasy world, I was debating putting it in Faerun (as that's the setting I'm most familiar with)but there are a lot of Eberron concepts I like, such as warforged, etc. So I decided to make it a generic place.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases