Red Hand of Doom - OOC

s@squ@tch

First Post
The draconic heritage feats are in Complete Arcane (pg 77-78), while additional feats are located in Dragon Magic.

The ones from Complete Arcane are also on Crystalkeep -- pg 116 of the index of feats.

Seems to be a lot of arcane submissions in this bunch. :eek:

renau1g

First Post
That's true... 3 of 6 right now, sort of light on divine & a tank-type. Maybe I should try a little harder to get the ToB, it seems like that book's a popular choice amongst melee-types.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
renau1g said:
That's true... 3 of 6 right now, sort of light on divine & a tank-type. Maybe I should try a little harder to get the ToB, it seems like that book's a popular choice amongst melee-types.

If you had ToB, it could definitely change the PC concept that I'm interested in playing...

Arabesu

Half of ToB is online: all of the maneuvers and the warblade class. So swordsage and crusader as still out and crystalkeep doesn't have them yet. Personally, I think that ToB isn't too bad, not any more strong than most of the other splat-book content for mages.

Ahem, wraithstrike, cough, cough.

It really helps give the melee types some nice cookies that offset the envy of some of the things that the mages, clerics, and druids can do at high levels.

One of the neatest features of some of the powers is that they can turn standard actions into mini-full attacks, but for melee. I.e. similar to multi-shot.

Yes, we do seem to have arcane magics covered. Even Yorgon is more or less a "blaster" just of a different name. I'm guessing everyone will be wearing healing belts to offset the absence of a cleric. Druids can be controllers too, thanks to flame strikes.

Against single opponents Yorgon will shine with his strong, single target powers, whereas against hordes, the mages will rule the day thanks to their area affect spells.

Rhun

First Post
Arabesu said:
Half of ToB is online: all of the maneuvers and the warblade class. So swordsage and crusader as still out and crystalkeep doesn't have them yet. Personally, I think that ToB isn't too bad, not any more strong than most of the other splat-book content for mages.

I personally think ToB is the best splat book released, but I've always felt that melee PCs were underpowered at higher levels. Still, a DM using ToB has to make sure they don't allow certain combinations (particularly psionics) because of some of the craziness that can result.

Arabesu said:
Yes, we do seem to have arcane magics covered. Even Yorgon is more or less a "blaster" just of a different name. I'm guessing everyone will be wearing healing belts to offset the absence of a cleric. Druids can be controllers too, thanks to flame strikes.

PCs WILL NOT survive Red Hand of Doom without a cleric. And I speak purely from only knowing what the first few encounters are like.

renau1g

First Post
Worst case scenario I can NPC a cleric (not my first choice, but I also don't want to force anyone into that class either), although that will reduce xp obviously.

Note: I've called up an old friend of mine, who I haven't talked to in a while and he's agreed to let me borrow his ToB. I've heard that it's great book & I agree with you Rhun about underpowered Melee characters. As I'm not familiar with it (and based on Rhun's warning re: psionics) I'll be very careful with multi-classing, etc. with those classes. Anyways, it's available, I'll update the OP. Feel free to change any concepts.

Voadam

Legend
I'm thinking of playing a tiefling melee character, either straight soulknife or a multiclassed one to become a tank with heavy armor.

Do you allow the LA buyoff for xp out of Unearthed Arcana? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm

This would make the Tiefling a 5th level character down 4,000 xp from the rest of the party but being LA +0 once we are going.

Are other UA options open for consideration as well?

The concept is [sblock]an agent of an archdevil who learns that Tiamat (rumored to be a one time Lord of the First and Guardian of the entryway/exit to Hell (as described in 1e)) is up to something in an area and he is directed to discover and disrupt her plans due to the byzantine hellish politics.

Not sure how you feel about evil characters. I plan to be a team player, just with some diabolic allegiance flavor.

I'm also not entirely sure how the archdevils fit into 3e FR cosmology.[/sblock]

Jerrand Redband

First Post
Sonlula Fighter lvl 6

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Sonlula
[B]Class:[/B] Fighter
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] Lawful Good
[B]Deity:[/B] Azwan  

[B]Str:[/B] 18 +4 (13p.)*    [B]Level:[/B] 6       [B]XP:[/B] 15,000
[B]Dex:[/B] 12 +1 (04p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +6/+1     [B]HP:[/B] 65 (6d10+12+6)
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2(06p.)      [B]Grapple:[/B] +10   [B]Dmg Red:[/B] ---
[B]Int:[/B] 10 +0 (02p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 20'     [B]Spell Res:[/B] ---
[B]Wis:[/B] 13 +1 (05p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +1       [B]Spell Save:[/B] ---
[B]Cha:[/B] 12 +1 (04p.)     [B]ACP:[/B] -5        [B]Spell Fail:[/B] ---
* raised at 4th level
                   [B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +8           +1                +1    20
[B]Touch:[/B] 12              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 19

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                     5     +2          +7
[B]Ref:[/B]                      2     +1          +3
[B]Will:[/B]                     2     +1   +2     +5

[B]Weapon                  Attack       Damage     Critical[/B]
+2 Greatsword           +13/+8       2d6+10     19-20x2
Dagger(melee)           +10/+5        d4+3      19-20x2
Dagger(thrown)           +7           d4+3      19-20x2
Mornigstar (mw)         +11/+6        d8+3        x2

[B]Languages:[/B] Common

[B]Abilities:[/B] +4 skill points at lvl 1, +1 skill point per lvl, 
           bonus feat at 1st lvl, highest class lvl is favored class            

[B]Feats:[/B] Toughness (L1), Weapon Focus- greatsword (bonus-fighter L1), 
       Iron Will (L1), Power Attack (ftr- L2), Cleave (L3),         
       Weapon Specialization- greatsword (ftr L4)
              Toughness (L6), Great Cleave (ftr L6), Athletic (DM bonus)

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 27       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 9/4.5
[B]Skills                  Ranks  Mod  Misc    ACP    Total[/B]
     - Climb             5     +4    +2     -5      +6
     - Swim              5     +4    +2     -10     +1
     - Ride              3     +1    +2(+2)         +6(+8)**                           
     - Jump              5     +4           -5      +4
     - Intimidate        4     +1                   +5
     - Handle Animal     5     +1                   +6
** +8 to avoid falling out of the saddle

[B]Equipment:                                         Cost   Weight[/B]
     - Traveler's Outfit                               free     0lb
     - Full Plate (mw)                              1,650gp    50lb
     - Ring of Protection +1                        2,000gp     ---
     - +2 Greatsword                                8,350gp     8lb
     - Dagger                                           2gp     1lb
     - Morningstar (mw)                               308gp     6lb
     - Backpack                                         2gp     2lb
              - rations,trail(4days)                   20sp     4lb
              - waterskin                               1gp     4lb
              - flint and steel                         1gp     ----
              - torches(3)                              3cp     3lb
              - whetstone                               2cp     1lb
              - mirror, small steel                    10gp    .5lb
              - sacks(2)                                2sp     1lb
              - potions(2),cure light wounds(d8+5)    100gp    .5lb 
     - Warhorse,heavy (Rolly)                         400gp     ----
              - bit and bridle                          2gp     1lb
              - saddle,military                        20gp    30lb
              - bedroll                                 1sp     5lb
              - rope,hemp 50'(2)*                       2gp    20lb
              - lantern,hooded                          7gp     2lb
              - shovel                                  2gp     8lb
              - tent                                   10gp    20lb
              - saddlebags                              4gp     8lb
                   - crowbar*                           2gp     5lb
                   - hammer*                            5sp     2lb
                   - pitons (4)*                        4sp     2lb
                   - oil,(2 flasks)                     2sp     2lb
                   - feed (1 day)                       5cp    10lb
                   - peasant's outfits(2)               2sp     4lb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]Sonlula 82lb/111lb***       [B]Money:[/B] 10pp 23gp 3sp
             Rolly(horse)  119lbs w/o rider   446lbs w/rider
*** carrying marked(*) equipment from warhorse

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push/Drag[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B] Sonlula             100   200   300  600   1,500
            Rolly             300   600   900  ---   4,500 
[B]Age:[/B] 23
[B]Height:[/B] 6'-3"
[B]Weight:[/B] 235b
[B]Eyes:[/B] brown
[B]Hair:[/B] bald
[B]Skin:[/B] dark brown
Appearance: Sonlula is a dark skinned man from the desert lands. He is very large
very well muscled and bald as the day he was born. His large size is all
people ever see and they say he may have some gaint in his familys past.

Personality:Sonlula is strict and militant he likes the structure of military life. He doesn't mind
being told what to do by those in charge because he trust they know what they
are about. He will follow where a strong leader leads.

Background: Takin up at a young age to train with a wealthy mecrenary company. His large size
caught the attention of on of the captains who took Sonlula under wing and taught
him alot about sword fighting and then when he improved the captain made him one of
his bodyguard. But the years of battle have worn on Sonlula ecspecially now that most
of the jobs the company gets is helping some Baron put down an uprising or a townguard
needing help with bandits. All these jobs had Sonlula facing off against men who had just
picked up a sword that morning and were no match for his years experience and training. After
a heated arguement with his captain Sonlula took up his gear and left (that was eight months ago)
and has been supporting himself as a sword for hire to any group needing extra muscle.

Modus Operandi: Ummm... The six foot sword should take care of whatever gets in my way.
Basher kick in the door type.

Will make a 6th lvl cleric and post today cleric is my favorite class just thought someone might be one first

Last edited:

EvolutionKB

First Post
Voadam: +0 LA tieflings can be found in the back of PGtF. The only thing they lose from their MM counterparts is their outsider type.

My character would come complete w/wands of CLW and lesser vigor. Probably as would have 1 spell/level devoted to healing. After figuring out skill bonuses in my head, he would be better at scouting than I thought +17 spot/listen all the time after all applicable bonuses.

renau1g

First Post
Voadam said:
Do you allow the LA buyoff for xp out of Unearthed Arcana? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm
Yes.

Voadam said:
Are other UA options open for consideration as well?
That depends, please let me know which options you're thinking and I'll approve/dis-approve. I've already said traits & flaws are allowed.

Voadam said:
The concept is [sblock]an agent of an archdevil who learns that Tiamat (rumored to be a one time Lord of the First and Guardian of the entryway/exit to Hell (as described in 1e)) is up to something in an area and he is directed to discover and disrupt her plans due to the byzantine hellish politics.

Not sure how you feel about evil characters. I plan to be a team player, just with some diabolic allegiance flavor.

I'm also not entirely sure how the archdevils fit into 3e FR cosmology.[/sblock]

I'm not familiar with 1e (started with 2e), but the concept works for me, as long as the evil character: a) fits into the group (you've already touched on this) & b) obvious "evil" acts aren't committed (i.e. murdering/attacking peasants, etc.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases