Knowledge (monster lore)

Nebuchadnezzar

First Post
I need some help with how to make the Knowledge (monster lore)
work. In the Ravenloft book, they make the character select a specific type of monster (Knowledge [aberration]), and mention
that "these skills can be used to evaluate a character's knowledge of the habits or weaknesses of the chosen creature
type". Guess what?

They do not provide any DCs. They don't even mention a formula
with which you can make an appropiate DC.

Could anyone help with EXACTLY how this skill should work?

hong

WotC's bitch
Making a Knowledge skill apply to one creature type alone seems awfully limiting to me. Consider that Knowledge (arcana) lets you know about all sorts of magic-related stuff, regardless of school, caster, class, and so on. But I don't have the Ravenloft book, so maybe it makes sense in that setting. Or maybe not.

Nebuchadnezzar

First Post
hmmm....

Maybe it could be divided simply into to seperate Knowledge skills.
Knowledge (monster lore), and Knowledge (necrology). Monster
lore would cover every creature except undead. This makes sense
for my campaign, as undead are quite common. But still, how would I set the DC? What exactly could a PC discover about a wight if he rolled a 16 on his Knowledge (necrology) skill?

Dr_Rictus

First Post
It should be noted that previous print examples of "monster lore" skill have been specific to at least the level of monster type, if not more specific. Examples which spring to mind include Knowledge (undead) (mentioned in Defenders of the Faith) and Knowledge (illithid lore) (Psionics Handbook).

By that, I don't mean to imply that such is a good idea in general, which I think is a matter of taste. But if you're writing a book like Ravenloft, there's definitely something to be said for at least rough compatibility with WotC's published supplements.

Perhaps you should look under the Skill "Knowledge" in the PHB. I believe their are some DCs which might give you an idea.
I believe 10 was common knowledge (so rolling a 10 on a Knowledge(Necrology) Roll to determine the weakness of a vampire you would probably remember that they don`t like sunlight, that they don`t like wooden sticks through their heart (but who does?).
If you rolled higher (15) you might want to search for their crypt and so on...
(By the way, I could not use your example because I rolled low on my Knowledge(necrology) roll about Wights. Sorry. But I probably have to use it unskilled and can only know common knowledge, nothing more)

Oh, and if you don`t find it under the Skill Entries, you might look under Bardic Knowledge, it may be also there. I am not sure about it.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
The guidelines for Knowledge skill DC's are:
10: really easy question
15: basic question
20-30: really tough questions

Obviously, they couldn't list examples for all possible knowledge skills, though I grant that in a more narrow discussion like the one we're talking about it would have been useful. In the case of Knowledge (undead) and wights, I might suggest these be applied something like:

10: Wights have a corrupting touch (duh, most undead do).
15: Wights touch is mildly energy-draining (i.e., imposes one negative level) and is fairly easy to recover from. Most such energy-draining attacks cause one to become undead if killed.
20: Those killed by wights become wights quite quickly thereafter, and it doesn't matter whether it's the negative levels that did you in.
25: Specifically, adventurers who survive the attack will have at least a 30-50% chance of recovering without magical aid (DC 14). Though many people forget the fact because of wights' more flamboyant powers, one should be wary of their excellent natural stealth.

These exact DC's obviously could all be debated, but are really meant only as examples.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Knowledge skills are work the same, so use the rules in the PHB. This is tough for DMs when Monster Lore comes into play. It can be hard to figure out what information is relevant and what the PCs needs to know. I do like how they limited the skill to only one type of creature.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases