Escaping the Labyrinth

Jemal

Adventurer
*OOC* Starting post for my Combat oriented adventure.
Please include in your first post (IC or OOC) whether you're here of your own volition or not.

IC:

The torchlight flickered on the wall as you came to in the dank cell. Your back aches and you feel stiff. Around you are others, some still asleep, some awakening as you are. As you get your bearings, you can tell that you are in a large (50'X50', 30' tall) square room with a doorway in the center of each wall. West is Bluish Iron, East Red Oak, North Hewn Stone, and South is an open hallway from which you feel the draft which is causing the torches to flicker.
In each corner of the room stands a stone statue, and on either side of each door is a suit of full plate mail.

As you get to your feet, In the center of the room appears an image, a large floating head.

The mad wizard cackles for a moment before speaking "WELCOME, one and all, to my Labyrinth Extravaganza!! Today brings a new batch of players to my game. I've brought you here to amuse myself and my companions with your antics in attempting to escape. The rules are simple - Get out of here alive, and you will each be given a reward and allowed to go on your way! Oh, though I suppose there are a few things I should warn you of.. First, teleportation will not work in this dungeon, though you're welcome to try. Secondly, these walls are nigh-indestructible and impervious to magic. Thirdly, this room you are standing in holds the key to leaving. Through each of these doorways lays a piece of the key.. if you can survive and find it, each of these four pieces will be needed to finally exit the dungeon.
OH, and one last thing.. Don't tarry in this room too long without the full key.. my Stone Golems dislike living creatures, and tend to attack creatures who stay too long."
As his image fades, the 'statues' in each of the corners turn their heads to regard you.

The image reappears suddenly then, grinning widely "Oh by the way, as a 'welcoming gift', I'd like you to meet one of my pets... Bruno, Say hi."
The head fades out again, leaving a lingering maniacal laughter as a you realize it was an illusion covering the presence of the beast in the center. As it fades, you see the Living Stalagmite, tentacles waving around it as it screeches at you in some strange language [sblock=Undercommon]"Welcome lunch, You won't leave this room alive!"[/sblock]

[sblock=Initiative]
Following please Roll Initiative, you will be able to participate in this encounter (Though if you do you will not be allowed to edit your character)
Kinem (Carl Simec), Redclaw (Savlin Deathseeker), Albedo(Annabelle), Renau1g(Rhokkan), Ruined (Takk)
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]
Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are all COMPLETELY unbuffed at the start of this fight. Have fun. :p
Knowledge checks (Arcana/Dungeoneering) to figure out what it is.
[sblock=DC 20]
The creature in the center of the room is a Roper. It is feared by many for it's ability to drain the strength from its victims.
*If you score 25 or higher, post it and I'll give you extra info*
[/sblock]
As far as monsters go, I'm going to allow you all to 'know' any of the more common monsters of CR 10 or lower. Anything higher than that will need knowledge checks.
[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
__
. GGXXXXXXGG
. GGXXXXXXGG
. XXXXXXXXXX
. XXXXRRXXXX
.|XXXXRRXXXX|
.|XXXXXXXXXX|
. XXXXXRTXAX
. XXXCXXXXXX
. GGXXXXSXGG
. GGXXXXXXGG
TT
each X is a 5' square.
The markings on each side are the four doors.
G = Golems(Non-combatative at this time!), the four R's are the beast.
C = Carl, R = Rhokkan
S = Savlin, T = Takk
A = Annabelle
Sorry for the kinda crappy map. :(
[/sblock]

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
initiative = 19

How do I keep getting into this kind of mess? I was just minding my own business - peacefully boasting that I was the meanest and toughest man in the world in that crowded tavern I was robbing - and bamf! another mad wizard to deal with.

Carl backs away from the monster (moving next to the south wall) and unleashes a blast of power towards it.

[sblock]beshadowed blast (Fort DC 22), 1d20+16=21 to hit touch, 33 damage[/sblock]

[sblock=Jemal]
You can make a better map using the code tag, like so (replace () w/square brackets):

(code)....
..C.
....(/code)

Code:
..C.

which makes all the characters the same width. Use "." for blank spaces instead of X. Edit it in notepad.[/sblock]

Redclaw

First Post
Savlin's eyes start to focus again as the mad wizard's voice pierces his skull. I don't know what I drank last night, but I'm going to be that someone put something in it, he thinks to himself as the blurriness fades from his vision, only to be replaced by a sight more horrible.

With speed born of one dire situation after another, he draws his swords and moves to circle around the threat, hoping the others in the room will follow his lead.
[sblock=ooc] Initiative 19, know (dung) 12. rolls
move next to the west doors, drawing swords as he goes, and ready to attack the thing if it comes within range, +21 to hit for 1d8+8 regular and 1d6 frost damage.[/sblock]

Ruined

Explorer
Initiative = 13

Awaking in a strange place, surrounded by unknown combatants. Possibly the worst situation to find one's self in. Takk twists and leaps to his feet, finding that his weapons and travelling gear are nearby. He listens to the wizard's insane words, letting the golden chain unfurl until the blades nearly touch the stone floor.

A Pet? Takk looks quickly around the room. Does he mean the troll? As the stone creature reveals itself, Takk steps away from the troll and blurs into action with his chain.

[sblock]
5 ft. adjustment diagonal NE.
Full attack: spiked chain 1d20+16=17 to hit, 10 dmg (natural 1)
spiked chain 1d20+11=19 to hit, 9 dmg (lawful)

OOC: Unwilling participant
[/sblock]

Albedo

First Post
Anabelle curses in Abysal as she gians conciousness. Annoyance overtakes her as the image speaks its peace, and she glares at the monster in the center of the room.

"I don't have time for you"

[sblock=OOC]

Knowledge Arcana Check 28

Initiative = 19

I'll post my actions once I learn about the creature for beating DC 25.

btw, unwilling participant.

[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
[sblock=Anabelle]
You recall that despite their stone-like appearance, Ropers have an aversion to Fire (Fire Vulnerability)
[/sblock]

Albedo

First Post
Anabelle smiles wickedly as she reaches a hand out and a magical rod appears in it. Chanting arcane verses, she waves the rod and around the Roper in the center of the room appears 2 Howlers, who immediatly start assaulting the beast. Satisfied with her new pets, she chants a few more words, and around her appears a sphere of force, protecting her from the ropers powerful strands. Meanwhile Kali, her Quasit familiar, lifts off from the ground and goes invisible, moving outside the radius of the sphere before she forms it.

[sblock=OOC]

She begins with a quickened summon monster III using her rod of quicken(which for her is treated a as summon monster V). She summons 2 Howlers, in flanking positions, who immediatly attack the roper. The Ropers will be summoned North/South of the roper.

Quills
Attacks
Damage

Quills
Attacks
Damage

If any quills hit, the roper needs to make a DC 16 Reflex save or have a -1 attacks,skills, and checks per quill.

Concentration Check DC 19 to cast Ottilukes Resilient Sphere defensivly is 34

Howler Stats: AC 17, Touch AC 12, HP 51

Anabelle Stats: AC 13, Touch AC 13, HP 74

Her Quasit cast Invisibility on itself.

Btw: Unless otherwise stated, spells will come from my wizard spell list.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Shaking the cobwebs from his head, Rhokkan looks around at the others, the anger almost palatable in his face. He sees the creature standing before him and can't figure out where he is. The last thing he recalls was leading his tribe in an attack on a group of human foolish enough to make their home near his bog, their blood still visible on his armour and body.

Not caring who these people are, Rhokkan draws his greatsword and lets it lead the way as he lashes out at the creature with his exceptionally long arms. Rhokkan's mighty swings seem to move far faster than is possible, the sword moving at a blur as he seeks to avoid the tentacles and drive his blade into the creature.

[sblock=ACtions]

Initiative (1d20+5=24) Attacks; Damage (1d20+16=33, 3d6+16=30, 1d20+16=23, 3d6+16=27)
Critical Confirmation (If applicable) (1d20+16=19)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
[sblock=initiative]
Rokkah - 24
Carl -19(6)
Savlin - 19(5)
Anabelle - 19(3)
Takk - 13
Roper -12
(I'm using the "tie breaker = highest modifier" rule)
[/sblock]

The mighty Troll swings his sword at the beast, connecting with a savage blow, and drawing it's attention.
Carl attempts to use the distraction to dash off to the side, but as soon as he has begun moving, a tentacle whips out at him. He avoids the blow, making it to his intended spot and blasting the beast painfully.

Savlin likewise uses the opportunity to move, getting to the side without incedent.
Anabelle summons the howlers and shields herself from Reprisal. The howlers attacks are seem inefectual compared to the troll's and the blast, but the second one does connect.

Takk readjusts his position, swinging his chain at the beastj, though it glances off the things tough hide.

Overwhelmed by this barrage, the roper screams in pain, lashing out with it's tentacles. trwo grab at each of the howlers, One misses the Troll, and the last one wraps around Takk as the beast Bites into one of the summoned Howlers.

[sblock=ooc]
Renau1g - I'm assuming that by 'charging forward', you meant that Rhokkan is actually standing still and attacking the beast which is within your 10' reach? Also, I don't assume character's weapons are always drawn, and as you don't have quick draw you can draw your weapon and attack once, OR draw and loose your shield with one action, then draw your Greatsword and not attack. I'll assume the former for now, as your shield won't apply to it's attack this round either way. Your confirmation roll misses :(

Ruined - See my above to Renau1g - You don't have quick draw, so drawing your weapon is a move action, you can only make one attack. (though it doesn't really matter, as both missed).

Also everyone please include your AC's/hp in your posts (Not the title) from now on during all combats.
When Linking rolls, please include the total, and not just a link, as sometimes I can't access InvisCastle and have to rely on trusting you(OH NOES!) and maybe checking the rolls later.
[/sblock]
[sblock=combat]
Roper's AoO vs Carl (1d20+11=14, 2d8=6) miss
Carl SR check Vs Roper (1d20+12=32) .. lucky bastard. (Since your blast affected it, you don't yet realize it has SR, btw)
Ropers turn:
Touch Attacks (1d20+11=31, 1d20+11=12, 1d20+11=24, 1d20+11=28, 1d20+11=12, 1d20+11=21)
hits howler#1, 2 on troll, misses Carl, hits Takk.
Fort saves vs Weakness (Howler1, Howler2, Howler2, Takk) (1d20+9=17, 1d20+9=21, 1d20+9=11, 1d20+9=17) Howler 2 makes one of his. rest fail.
Str Drain (2d8=10, 2d8=9, 2d8=16)
Howler 1 takes 10, Howler 2 takes 9, Takk takes 16 str drain.
Roper's Bite (1d20+13=22, 2d6+6=14) 14 damage to Howler # 2.

Roper's damage: 84
[/sblock]

Remove ads