Excerpt: Economies [merged]

WyzardWhately

First Post
The question on my mind is: Is there still room for freaky wondrous items? Once the economy steps in to regulate PCs, and make sure they don't fall off of either end of the magic item treadmill, is there still room for portable holes, cubic gates, apparati of Kwalish, and the various other freaky acoutrements that adventurers tended to accumulate pre-3E?

A'koss

Explorer
AZRogue said:
Thanks for the link. Makes me wonder which article is closer to correct, heh. :)
Yeah, it certainly doesn't help to have conflicting articles. But since we're given actual levels in the Tiers article (and no indication of gaining AS boosts in KotS) that's probably the way it is... 11th and 21st are probably Paragon and Epic special boosts anyway.

keterys said:
To be honest, I don't plan on giving out _any_ generic +2 (or 3, etc) magic weapons.

I'll wait the extra level so I can give out vicious weapons, frost weapons, etc.
I believe we were promised that there would be no "generic plus items", implying "+2 magic" actually means something besides just +2. I could be misremembering though.

Spatula

Explorer
Economy & Reward said:
It’s a lot easier to be a conscientious DM in Fourth Edition. I don’t have to add up the value of all the treasure I’m giving out and make sure it adds up—I just have to check parcels off the list when I give them out, and make sure that I’ve crossed everything off the list by the time they hit 6th level.
...and hope the PCs don't bypass any of the parcels. No hidden treasure, or they might not find it! Or if they don't, you tack it onto the quest reward and there was no point in looking for it to begin with. While I like wealth guidelines (a necessary part of useful encounter design) it does run into this problem where you feel like the players must get X loot by level Y, which then leads to very linear adventure design. If there are optional side-treks with treasure (think of a sprawling dungeon that the PCs need not entirely clear out), or hard-to-find treasure, it throws the whole thing out of whack. Unless the DM adjusts the rewards around behind-the-scene, in which case the PCs get what the book says they're supposed to have no matter what they do.

Also, the major quest reward table is entirely, 100% pointless. "Divide the XP reward among all the characters who participated in the quest," with columns for different size parties - but when you divide it, it's exactly the same as giving each party member XP for a level N monster, so just say that...

Incenjucar

Legend
small pumpkin man said:
I believe we were promised that there would be no "generic plus items", implying "+2 magic" actually means something besides just +2. I could be misremembering though.

Ehhh.

Plus items are more integral than ever, actually. See: Monsters not getting full benefits of especially strong pluses, +6 wands, etc. It's calculated in, though, so you can remove plus items and just give out plus abilities to compensate.

I think the real difference will be that, since pluses are standard, the non-generic abilities will not have to compete with the pluses themselves.

WyzardWhately

First Post
Spatula said:
...and hope the PCs don't bypass any of the parcels. No hidden treasure, or they might not find it! Or if they don't, you tack it onto the quest reward and there was no point in looking for it to begin with.

Somebody raised the converse of this issue earlier, which is that there's no point trying to negotiate with your employer for a higher payscale - the GM is supposed to just take it out of your total gain anyway.

I dub this the Law of Karmic Treasure. You never get more or less reward than is proportional to the effort put in.

genshou

First Post
I really think the idea of selling an item at 20% to someone who is going to mark it up to 140% reeks of "Let's not use common sense with our game mechanics" :\

pawsplay

Hero
genshou said:
I really think the idea of selling an item at 20% to someone who is going to mark it up to 140% reeks of "Let's not use common sense with our game mechanics" :\

Things like that tend to incite PCs into adding swords and fireballs into their negotiations.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
genshou said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Streetwise/Diplomacy can be used as a Skill Challenge to either increase the amount the fence will pay for a item or lower the price he will sale a item.

Streetwise = Know the actual cost of the item on the street

Diplomacy = Bartering

Remove ads