Ready and Delay?

keterys

First Post
Can anyone confirm that these rules (or something like them) are or aren't in 4e? I haven't seen any mention of them in any of the quick start rules for initiative, taking your turn, etc and I'm wondering if they were taken out for space/simplicity, or because they're actually gone.

Mort_Q

First Post
I haven't heard/read one way or another.

Given the addition of triggered interrupt actions, PCs have some powers that are always readied, so perhaps the ready and delay rules have been changed or removed.

N0Man

First Post
I don't think any quick start rules in previous D&D starter sets have had rules for delaying or readying actions. These are usually more advanced rules handled in the actual PHB.

I wouldn't assume that they didn't make the cut just because they aren't in the Quick Start Rules. They are abbreviated, afterall.

Verys Arkon

First Post
I haven't seen anything either.

I'd think given the increased emphasis on teamwork and interpersonal synergy (gah, I sound like a corporate speaker) that holding actions and readying actions would be important. You might not want to use your daily unless you've got all the help you can get from your allies to make sure you don't miss.

frankthedm

First Post
Paranioa tells me they may have severly reduced the value of readying and delaying, in order to promt players to Do Something rather than Wait and See.

Do not expect readies to interrupt anymore.

OchreJelly

First Post
For that matter I wonder how readying works to prevent casting. I mean now that all spells are powers, do spells even provoke OA’s? Maybe it’s all ranged powers provoke?

frankthedm

First Post
OchreJelly said:
For that matter I wonder how readying works to prevent casting. I mean now that all spells are powers, do spells even provoke OA’s? Maybe it’s all ranged powers provoke?
IIRC there are no ways to disrupt powers anymore. Unless the AoO kills the caster, the effect gets off.

Mort_Q

First Post
frankthedm said:
IIRC there are no ways to disrupt powers anymore. Unless the AoO kills the caster, the effect gets off.

There are very likely Powers that can disrupt other Powers, but yes, I am also under the impression that there are no non-Power ways to disrupt Powers.

Delgar

First Post
I suspect based on what we've seen so far that ready and delay are gone. They tend to make things more complicated, and they are trying to streamline things. Plus any ongoing effects on you take effect at the begining of your turn, if you could delay you could delay ongoing effects, to perhaps have someone trigger a save for you.

So I suspect, ready and delay are gone. When your initiative comes up you do something or skip your turn.

Just my 2 cents.

OchreJelly

First Post
frankthedm said:

If that’s true it makes me wonder about the value of the endurance skill – I sort of assumed “Concentrate” was rolled into that, even though it doesn’t map well conceptually to something called “endurance”. I must unlearn the 3E mindset…

I think you guys are correct about interrupt powers needed to, well, interrupt powers. Do the basic rules cover the standard OA triggers?

Remove ads