XP trouble! (2ed)

rossik

Explorer
im running a 2ed campaign and just realize that the pcs have just a few XP.

they all started at 5 level.
we played 7 adventures by now, but i must admit that the opponents were never too challenging, like orcs, guards, 2 HD criatures, and a few evil mages/clerics (Around 7 lvl).

they have around 2.000 xp each, so it will take about 56 adventures to evel up!

maybe the party is too big (6 adventurers and one henchman), im giving few XP, the monsters are too weak...

any sugestions?
how much do you give for finishing adventure?

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Make them each fight a fire ant hill. That way they will gain several thousand xp if they manage to kill all the fire ants.

No really, put more opponents into each fight and remember all the extra xp that the characters should receive depending on their stats and their class. Back in the day I used to give anywhere from 150 to 500 xp depending on how successful the group was at completing the adventure (or at least trying to).

rossik

Explorer
oh, i give XP for gold, and my adventure XP worth about 100 to 200.

i dont use the individual XP for classes, as it is optional, so i figure that it doesnt get too much in the way of level up

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Then upping the number of combatants should be the way to go especially for those fights that are meant to be hairy. Course, you have to be careful though because if the battles are too tough you might cause a TPK or a lot of player frustration.

Brimshack

First Post
In first edition, I never used the treasure x.p. (I'm not familiar with 2nd.) I did double the x.p. for combat whenever the character's were perceived as winning the encounter and gave them solid bonuses for taking or defending positions, saving npcs, etc. If everyone in a village survived because of something the PCs did, they got x.p. for that too. Plus, every now and then they got a battle on their own terms. Of course there were others where the odds were stacked against them due to the situation, but sometimes, just sometimes, they caught a break. To me that was a lot of what role playing was about. If the players handled role playing right, then others helped them and they made good decisions, thus putting themselves in a good strategic position. If they role played badly, well then they got no help and tended to fight out about enemies just as the ambush was sprung on them.

rossik

Explorer
Brimshack said:
In first edition, I never used the treasure x.p. (I'm not familiar with 2nd.) I did double the x.p. for combat whenever the character's were perceived as winning the encounter and gave them solid bonuses for taking or defending positions, saving npcs, etc. If everyone in a village survived because of something the PCs did, they got x.p. for that too. Plus, every now and then they got a battle on their own terms.

and how much do you think is good XP for your examples?

Brimshack

First Post
It's been awhile and I don't know how x.p. work in 2nd edition. What I used to do was calculate x.p. value of any NPC saved. A whole lot of 0 levels could add up. For buildings, and I mean I gave them x.p. any time they took a building that was defended against them, so to speak, from a small bar to a castle. Same for defending them. As I recall I used the structural points for building plus square footage as a guideline. As I recall, a castle was worth a grand or two (as was a warship), sometimes up to 10,000 if it was well fortified even with magic and traps. With stuff like that I would give a base x.p. bonus if the PCs destroyed it, and then I would double that if they took it. For a dungeon I gave a hundred or so per challenging room. It really wasn't down to a science, just enough to reward them for the extra challenge and help boost experience beyond what they would get for thr body count (which was always small for the first dozen or so games).

Last edited:

Thanael

Explorer
rossik said:
i dont use the individual XP for classes, as it is optional, so i figure that it doesnt get too much in the way of level up

At least give them ad-hoc story bonuses. Read up on the individual XP guidelines to get a feel for how much you can give per evening and then simply assign them ad-hoc after each session.

Remove ads