Tidbits from PHB Viewing

thalmin

Retired game store owner
We got a chance to view the PHB, DMG, and MM tonight. While we had the books at the store for 2 1/2 hours, I only got to spend a few minutes with them. Here are a few notes (posted on this thread.)

Nearly every class has 4 At-Wills available to chose from at 1st level, Wizard has 5. Same goes for Encounters. Fighter, Paladin and Rogue have 3 Dailys, everyone else has 4. More become available at higher levels.

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Dragonborn

The Dragonborn breath type is chosen at character creation.

Also, Dragonborn Females do have boobs, at least in the picture.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Multiclassing

Multi-Classing requires a related Stat of 13+.
Each class has an Initiate Feat associated with it. Get to pick 1 Skill from class, also get 1 specified power.
There are also 3 Power Swap Feats starting at 4th level. Swap any (Encounter Attack, Utility, Daily) Power you have for one of equal or lower level from your chosen Multi-Class. The 3 feats are of different levels, one for each power type (Encounter, Utility, Daily.)

Rechan

Adventurer
thalmin said:
Multi-Classing requires a related Stat of 13+.
Each class has an Initiate Feat associated with it. Get to pick 1 Skill from class, also get 1 specified power.
There are also 3 Power Swap Feats starting at 4th level. Swap any (Encounter Attack, Utility, Daily) Power you have for one of equal or lower level from your chosen Multi-Class. The 3 feats are of different levels, one for each power type (Encounter, Utility, Daily.)
Is the Multi-classing different with regards to Paragon Paths? Because we were told you can opt to Multi-class instead of a Paragon path.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Rechan said:
Is the Multi-classing different with regards to Paragon Paths? Because we were told you can opt to Multi-class instead of a Paragon path.
I didn't get a chance to check that out.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
2-Weapon Fighting

2-weapon fighting is a feat, but just gives a damage bonus, not an extra attack. The ranger can take an at-will that gives him an extra attack. I didn't see any others, but could easily have missed them.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Additional powers after 1st level

More of each type of power become available at progressive levels. Some levels you gain additional Encounter, Utility, or Daily powers, otherwise you swap out for a new power. Some classes (spellcasters) get more to choose from. Numbers you can choose is the same for each class, Race can add to this.
The chart goes something like:
Level 1 (2 At-Will, 1 Encounter, 1 Daily, 0 Utility)
Level 2 (2/1/1/1)
3 (2/2/1/1)
5 (2/2/2/1)
6 (2/2/2/2)
7 (2/3/2/2)
and so on.

pukunui

Legend
Thalmin: I don't know if we already know any of this stuff or not, but were you able to:

a) determine what happened to Trapfinding (is it still a feat or is it a trained use of the Thievery skill or something else entirely?) and
b) determine whether Tumbling is something that only a rogue can do (and then only once per encounter) or is it a trained use of Acrobatics and the rogue just happens to have an encounter power with the same name?

EDIT: With this "swapping powers out" thing ... do you have to swap out a power or can you choose to keep the ones you've got? Just curious. It seems like character rebuilding is not only part of core now but a required part ...

Thanks.

Last edited:

Bestopheles

First Post
Posted it on the other thread too, but what the heck< I may as well post here:

Shifters are actually cool. Once the hit bloodied, they get an ability that kicks in and last the last of the encounter that adds +2 spd and I believe + dmg (for shifter: razorclaw). The other shifter had another + ability that kicked in at bloodied and lasted the whole time.

Rogues are AMAZING. Like seriously, damn near Op. At 3rd level they get a utility power that lets them re-roll any bluff check (Trigger: when player rolls bluff, and doesn't like the look of the roll.) They also have a nice garrotte ability that does 7w and can be held for a bit...fun thing about holding it is that attacks on the rogue have a possibility of hitting the person you're choking). They get auto-escpape grapple abilities, and lots of things playing off Combat advantage (including one that we figured could add 7W dmg +10d8 +dex mod). Very sick.

Starpact warlocks can throw you into the stars and bring you back bent...and infernal pact locks can banish someone to hell for a time (keeping them there for up to 3 rounds with a minor action).

If you take multiclassing paragon path option, you get an at will ability of your new class at 11, and a new encounter and daily at upper levels.

Minotaurs are a MM race, and get a fun per encounter charge attack, and +2str and +2 con.

Doppelgangers get a "look like another humanoid" ability that's at will effectively.

Gnomes. GNOMES. Gnomes are insane. Gnomes can *turn invis* once per encounter after they've taken dmg. They can also choose to roll "hide" instead of intialtive at the start of an encounter. Hello Gnome Rogue. And by "hello" I mean, "Please, for the love of god, stop stabbing me in the back." My friends quote was "Man, I hate gnomes! They're stupid! But now I can't stop picturing a pack of gnomes sitting in the trees doing the clicking noise that the Predators make in the alien movies. Stupid stealth gnomes. I'm going to have to play one."

Bugbears get a dmg bonus for combat advantage I believe.

Rituals: range from cheap to learn and cast to expensive. As an example: Raise Dead costs 650GP to learn uses a 500gp reagent, and "scales" at levels. At lowever levels, it's "free" except for the reagent cost." At medium levels it's 5,000gp. And at epic levels it's 50,000. Oh, and the raised person gets a penalty of -1 until you've passed "3" milestones.

Oh, and another interesting/weird feature....there is an easy to cast ritual that clears 1 status ailment (curse, disease, etc) each time it's cast, but with a catch. You make a heal check, and your result ='s how much dmg the TARGET sick player takes while being healed. SO, a low roll can kill outright, or can do dmg. A high roll causes very little dmg.

That's all I got for the moment. If I can remember more, I'll put them up there.

Oh, and I forgot to mention>>>Timesstop is a spell in 4e. Gives you 2 extra actions, neither of which can be used for attack.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases