Tidbits from PHB Viewing

Bestopheles

First Post
A'koss said:
Yeah, that was my impression as well - I wonder though if Raise Dead has any conditions attached to it such as requiring a relatively whole body. Perhaps if you destroy the body (burn it, hack it to salsa...) it can't be raised?

Well, it's 650gp to learn the spell and a 500gp reagent to cast...so at over 1k gold a cast a low levels, it's already pretty damn expensive....plus you get the rez penalty. :)

Of course, you can always just houserule it different.

pukunui

Legend
A'koss said:
Yeah, that was my impression as well - I wonder though if Raise Dead has any conditions attached to it such as requiring a relatively whole body. Perhaps if you destroy the body (burn it, hack it to salsa...) it can't be raised?
Yeah. I don't really like it. I can see myself putting restrictions on that ritual already ...

EDIT:
Bestopheles said:
Well, it's 650gp to learn the spell and a 500gp reagent to cast...so at over 1k gold a cast a low levels, it's already pretty damn expensive....plus you get the rez penalty. :)

Ah so there is a penalty at low levels? I didn't get that impression from your original post. That makes it a bit easier to swallow. Still seems kind of cheap and flies in the face of the "raise dead ain't gonna happen in the Heroic tier". I guess having to roll up a new low-level character isn't fun? Should be easy enough to just limit access to the reagent ...

Does the ritual have any other requirements? Like a whole body? Or that the person has only been dead for a short while? Any indication as to why it gets more expensive as you go up in level?

Last edited:

baberg

First Post
Thalmin, thanks for the info.

Will you be doing the same thing tomorrow? If so, should we try to compile a succinct list of questions that you can "checklist" for all of us impatient, greedy players? :)

Rechan

Adventurer
pukunui said:
Ah so there is a penalty at low levels? I didn't get that impression from your original post. That makes it a bit easier to swallow. Still seems kind of cheap and flies in the face of the "raise dead ain't gonna happen in the Heroic tier". I guess having to roll up a new low-level character isn't fun?

Rituals: range from cheap to learn and cast to expensive. As an example: Raise Dead costs 650GP to learn uses a 500gp reagent, and "scales" at levels. At lowever levels, it's "free" except for the reagent cost." At medium levels it's 5,000gp. And at epic levels it's 50,000. Oh, and the raised person gets a penalty of -1 until you've passed "3" milestones.

3 milestones = 6 encounters.

t3nk3n

First Post
do either of you recall the fourth warlord encounter exploit (other than guarding attack, hammer and anvil and warlord's favor)?

A'koss

Explorer
Bestopheles said:

True, it looks pricey, but WotC really led us to believe that returning to life was going to be more of a hurdle than just throwing money at the problem... :(

pukunui

Legend
Rechan said:
3 milestones = 6 encounters.
Yeah. I got the impression that the penalty didn't apply in the Heroic level because he said it was "'free' except for the reagent cost". I'm wondering if that could be clarified at all? What makes raise dead "free" for the Heroic Tier? Or rather, what makes it not free for the higher tiers? Are there are other requirements besides the cost that have to be met before it works? And can it be confirmed that this -1 penalty for 6 encounters (almost a whole level's worth of encounters, if we go by the 10 encounters = 1 level model) applies to raise dead at all tiers?

A'koss said:
True, it looks pricey, but WotC really led us to believe that returning to life was going to be more of a hurdle than just throwing money at the problem... :(
This.

Remove ads