Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Cool fight.

But I'm kind of surprised that we're not seeing more save-or-die's getting tossed around. You know, wail of the banshee, chained flesh to stone, that kind of thing. Particularly nasty against low-Fort mages.

I saw several. Notably the "heartclutch" on Aravis. Also,at the moment, I'd say the firestorm would qualify as well. But, thankfully, the party (and for a continued 18 seconds of awesomeness, the enemy) saved.

Although if there is some kind of "the PCs won't use too many save-or-die's if the DM also doesn't" detente going on, then I applaud your collective restraint!

That seems to be the case of this most awesome of all adventuring parties (and one of the, if not the, longest running campaigns I've ever heard of). And thank the gods. Opinions of "Save or die" not withstanding, this was...just...Wow.

Seriously Sagiro, forget hat I said about a graphic novel, this story requires an animated feature! lol.

--Steel Dragons
PS: Piratecat, the revision of Dranko is coming (soon). I've been sidetracked with holidays and RL shhhhhtuff. Apologies...A "redo" of Aravis (unless his player was ok with the last one), also. I'm leeeeeaning towards an "in acton" group shot (think a Marvel comics or JLA style "coming to get'cha" image) versus a simple "family portrait." What do you or Sagiro or KidChtulu or Greywolf or anyone else think?

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
In general I take a dim view of "save or die" spells like wail of the banshee or finger of death. Though I've never outright banned them or anything, my players and I do in fact have a kind of unspoken detente.

Of course, with the arrival of spells like revivify in the Spell Compendium, I may rethink that policy before the end. :devil:

Aravis's player has pointed out on many occasions that high-damage spells are often "save or die," if the target's hit points are low enough. I personally don't think of them the same way, though, unless the damage is high enough to kill a full-HP PC in a single round. Also, Aravis has no qualms about tossing around 40d6 disintegrate spells, which are save-or-die if your HP are at or below around 140.

Heartclutch is not technically save or die. On a failed save, the target will die in 3 rounds unless someone uses heal, mass heal, miracle or wish.

Finally, I don't minding using flesh to stone, since the party member can be revived if the party wins the fight, or during combat if someone has prepared stone to flesh, or uses a miracle or wish.

coyote6

Adventurer
Of course, with the arrival of spells like revivify in the Spell Compendium, I may rethink that policy before the end. :devil:

Yes, I loooove revivify. I house ruled it to work if cast within level/2 rounds, too. I much prefer just-died resuscitation magic to "oh, you've been dead for days/weeks/years/decades, let's bring you back" resurrection magic.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
"Save or Dies" or no "Save or Dies"...did I mention the...ya know...WOW!

How do I love this story hour...let me count the ways...ok, or not.. It's a loooot of ways though, lemme tell ya.

Good show (again! As if there was ever a doubt).

Thanks, as always, for the adventure.
--SD

Siuis

Explorer
Oh, man. You guys are, as ever, an inspiration.
No epic advancement huh? Wait, no, you still distribute levels. Nevermind... Can't wait to see how you guys look- is it gonna be like in the ELH, where all the idolize show up in flashy but mostly-useless stuff, like a helmet of ioun stones, twelve flaming axes, and a +8 bikini? Well, Dranko probabl will, but I suspect the rest of you all have more taste.
Seriously though, a shadowdancer with a flaming blade? Counterintuitive, that.

Also, did anyone see that young padawan who 'ported out with the refuge token? I'm surprised Greywolf's next words weren't "I wish he were back here". That sort of slip is the thing that bets you guys in the butt a lot. But summoning a now-noncombatant and killing him isn't your style either... Hm. Guess I've got more to learn from you guys than I thought.

Sagiro, is there any hope of Dranko ever getting famous again? Ever? Or even infamous. It's heart-wrenching to know something so important to the guy is forever beyond his reach. Maybe let him blow several feats on epic reputation?

Totally Geelong out too much to be insightful here. Just sort of gushing.

Everett

First Post
The descriptive feel of Sagiro's battle scenes: great, as always.

One reason I stopped playing D&D two years ago was that I'd get very bored with the silliness of playing a series of actions that occur, after all, in six seconds, in half an hour or forty-five minutes of real time. In a campaign this deep and engaging I wouldn't mind, but do you have any clever solutions to that problem? Or do you just not consider it a problem?

Everett

First Post
I'm leeeeeaning towards an "in acton" group shot (think a Marvel comics or JLA style "coming to get'cha" image) versus a simple "family portrait." What do you or Sagiro or KidChtulu or Greywolf or anyone else think?

I'd like to see an action shot before a family portrait, yeah.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Sagiro, is there any hope of Dranko ever getting famous again? Ever? Or even infamous. It's heart-wrenching to know something so important to the guy is forever beyond his reach. Maybe let him blow several feats on epic reputation?
Sacrifices have to have costs. Otherwise they mean nothing.

As for the guy who escaped, we're okay with that. We did regret not getting to listen in as he reported back. Man, the look on his face when he realized there was no one to report to. . .

Siuis, none of us are shadowdancers, and none of us have a flaming blade (although Dranko's whip is flaming nowadays; he turns it off when sneaking around.) Are you thinking of someone else?

Everett, I don't have a big disconnect between game time and combat time. I certainly like this better than 1e's one minute combat rounds. (In Mutants & Masterminds, I'll note, we measure combat rounds not in seconds or minutes but in how many panels on the comic page they take up.) I agree with Sagiro, though, that being able to use action points for an extra standard action was too powerful; our enemies couldn't do it. We don't miss it much now that it's gone.

Last edited:

RedTonic

First Post
Is there a house rule somewhere about the ironstorm + chain lightning combo, or is that a... canon combo? It sounds like something I'd like to try. :3

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases