Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

Kaodi

Hero
Kaodi, the Defenders campaign ended about two years ago in a great, great finale. I shouldn't talk about it here but could write up a summary if anyone is curious. Our current 4e campaign is discussed here.

PirateCat, I doubt there is anyone who used to read your old Story Hour that isn't interested, ;) .

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Kaodi, the Defenders campaign ended about two years ago in a great, great finale. I shouldn't talk about it here but could write up a summary if anyone is curious.

I don't know why you would think anybody would be interested in that. Its not like the Defenders of Daybreak story hour had thousands and thousands of page views or anything...

Honestly, your story hour stopping was like the premature end of a TV series. Please at least give us the two-hour special to wrap the series up. :)

Saigiro, please don't get any ideas about stopping this story hour early.

Siuis

Explorer
That's another yes for the write-up, PC.
ALSO, how does the group dynamic hold together? I know it's a weird question but... How do you guys develop organic relationships with each other? With exception of a single player, there is no way anyone in my group will treat me differently as a character than they would if it were us in person.

I went so far as to yell at someone to "quit refering to the downed guy as the 'dazed character' since he might be dead for all you know!". Entire battles of consisting only of meta-dialogue get iritating though... I admire your verisimilitude.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
ALSO, how does the group dynamic hold together? I know it's a weird question but... How do you guys develop organic relationships with each other? With exception of a single player, there is no way anyone in my group will treat me differently as a character than they would if it were us in person.
This erupted quite early on when we had a few complete sessions devoted to the discussion of whether or not we were going to have to kill the prisoner. Oh, we hated those. With a mixture of neutrals and goods, thrashing out these issues was usually painful -- but once we did we never had to discuss them again. Morningstar's character is the remaining neutral (Dranko slowly switched up to NG) and we're sensitive to the fact that she's pragmatic and willing to make some sacrifices others aren't. When there's a tricky moral quandary we vote. Majority rules, minority acquiesces gracefully (with a few justified "I told you so's" when everything goes poorly.)

Interestingly, the group are such good roleplayers that it never even occurs to me to treat the other characters as their players. I know the things which make their heroes angry, and it isn't what upsets the players; we make a conscious effort in combat to make decisions based on what the PCs would know or feel. It isn't always combat optimal, but it's always satisfying. We all really respect the other players, too, so it's easy to do whatever will make the game most fun for them, as well.

I really credit this to the fact that the campaign has been running for 16 years with remarkably low turnover. I forget if the "new guy" is Aravis or Grey Wolf, but they've been in the game for 14 years!

Meanwhile, in tonight's game we found out what happens when you feed wine to a lion, and we found out the hard way what can happen when you don't investigate a problem quickly enough. While we were saving tens or hundreds of thousands of people from Octesian, we lost an entire city to a particularly horrific aspect of a different enemy. Oof.

Last edited:

Everett

First Post
I can't pretend that I tripped over the Story hour and *bumped* it, since I know perfectly well where it is.

Any updates on the horizon?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
So I've just "caught up" to the current present of "Chapter 3." (Haven't even thought about starting 1 or 2 yet. My mind is too blown.)

First of all, WOW. Wow to Sagiro the DM. The variety and intricacies of the plots...keeping things interesting and challenging for such a high powered group...

Wow to Sagiro the writer....keeping the read entertaining...making just about any NPC encountered feel like a fully fleshed out realized character...even if they just have one line...the treatment of magic (especially given the sheer amount possessed/usable by the group)...sometimes just stating: "so-and-so casts xyz" sometimes going into very nice visual descriptions of effects...and never having it seem cheesy or over- or under-done.

Wow to Piratecat, Avaris, and all of the other players in the group. Keeping their characters real and grounded. i.e. Even though they can use a "wish" to get home simply because they're out of "greater teleports" for the day...they still have concerns about their various futures and their capacity to deal with who/what's next on the "to do list" and there's a very real sense that even as powerful as they are any of them could die. The characters have fear and uncertainty as well as quirks and confidence that is palpable and very life-like.

Wow that you've all been in this group for 16 years!?! Gods you guys are a lucky, and gifted, bunch.

Kudos to all and XPs all around. Can't wait for the continuing story.
Thanks for the adventure.
--Steel Dragons

Kilroy

First Post
PirateCat, I doubt there is anyone who used to read your old Story Hour that isn't interested, ;) .

I've been waiting for the end for the better part of a decade. Please don't Wheel of Time us! :)

(And a thanks to Sagiro for keeping his alive for so long. It's appreciated.)

Remove ads