[OOC] [Eberron] Beer n Pretzles Keep on the Shadowfell

Graf

Explorer
edit: closed now. Might take one or two more if people ask nicely (just cause there isn't much 4e around yet). There are a lot of fantastic 4e games around now and more starting up. I'm dis-inclined to try to take more folks on the basis of that.

If you're really having trouble getting into games I'd want to consider including people.

Accepted:
  • Walking Dad (Human Warlock)
  • stonegod (HE Cleric)
  • kinem (Dwarf Fighter)
  • EvKB ("Lizardman" Paladin)
  • Enekose (Elvin Ranger)

The game will be straight KotS with whatever web enhancements come out (supposedly they'll be correcting the pregens and providing some Eberron material to go with it next week).

Ground rules
  • WotC Published pregens; using the updated rules (you must update to the newest version, so if you play the halfling paladin from DnD Experience you're still using the corrected mark power)
  • you can "swap out" powers/feats for any other WotC published powers/feats
  • Six - eight person groups (if people drop I can just feed them to the monsters and carry on)
  • No more than two of the same pregen character
  • You're expected to post every 24 hours or so on the weekdays; if you don't I may "go for you". (More likely if it's your action and I haven't heard from you, less likely if not)
  • If you post on time and in character you'll get +2 to whatever you're doing brownie points. edit: Remembering to add +2 to everything was giving me a headache.
  • Each character must be eberronified; I.e. the should fit into a game being run in the WotC setting called Eberron (don't kill yourself with a complex back story if you don't feel like it)
  • Character applications must follow the template (more or less)
  • Combat posts should follow the template too, if you don't reflect updated info (like say the +2 to defenses you get the round after you use second wind) then you (probably) won't get the benefit.
  • My goal is to run good, fast, low-stress games. If you've a proven history of posting regularly in past games you're more likely to be accepted. (Life is life, but this exercise is supposed to be fun-roleplaying, disappearing players makith things a bit stressful for everyone).
  • edit: The posts do not have to be extremely detailed. Die rolling is optional. I just need to know what, basically, you're trying to do.
  • Everyone takes vacations/has busy periods. If you post/email/PM me before hand to let me know you're away then we'll work something out (at the very least I guarantee you won't suffer in game)
  • I expect you to work to avoid finding out about KotS; don't read spoilers, etc
  • Probably start in media(sp?) res at the first encounter.
  • added: Your characters are traveling together looking for Douven ir'Staul a Clifftop fixture who disappeared several months ago. He was a mentor an inveterate explorer of old ruins and often mentored young adventurers and other assorted neir-do-wells. So you should have some reason why you'd be out traveling with a bunch of strangers looking for him (his wife a fetching Khoravar named Lissa has been asking around trying to get people to find him).
    Clifftop is a neighborhood in Sharn (Upper Dura) that predominantly caters to adventurers.

[sblock=Application]
Don't kill yourself with this. A couple of lines are fine. For the stat block best effort is fine.

Character Name:
Current Nationality:
Nation of Birth:
Race:
Rank (if any) you held during the Last War:
Pregen you're using:
Any modifications: (links please! so if you want use one of the other warlord powers (or whatever) please link to your source)

Background:
Appearance:
Why would you go looking for Douven ir'Staul?

[sblock=Stat block]
If you can stonegod's beauuutifulstat block.
But anything is fine if I can read it.[/sblock]

Running any games (on Enworld or elsewhere)
:[/sblock]

All things being equal I'll take people who are DM/GM/ST/Keepering PbP games over people who aren't. I think that's fair really.

Some useful posts:
Action points in 4e
Temp rules for Stealth & Stuff #1 #2
Some simple healing rules to tide us over.
And some simple stuff about marking.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=4124969&postcount=2

Tyron "Torn" Duskmeadow
[SBLOCK=Background]Current Nationality: Breland
Nation of Birth: Aerenal
Race: Half-Elf
Rank (if any) you held during the Last War: -
Pregen you're using: Half-Elf Warlock
Any modifications:
Fiery Burst instead Ray of frost (Keep on the Shadofell wizard pregen)
I would like to take this feat instead of Action Surge:
[sblock=Feats]http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drdd/20071126
Alertness
Tier: Heroic
Benefit: You don’t grant enemies combat advantage in surprise rounds.
You also gain a +2 feat bonus to Perception checks.[/sblock]
Why would you go looking for Douven ir'Staul?
Torn has a kind of "relationship" with his daughter.

Running any games (on Enworld or elsewhere): WD's Base of Operation
for games I'm in, click on PbP in my signature

Torn between two worlds. This tends to sum up the life of Tyron (called "Torn"). Born of a human father and an Aerenal mother. He was raised by his father to his mothers grief. Her people live mostly in a secluded place in Aerenal and her elders didn't allow for the half-breed child to enter. Feeling the anger of his younger pure human siblings he ran away from home and survived on the streets of a small city near his fathers castle. Here he befriended a scrawny goblin called Rat-Catcher. Learning street craft and the goblin tongue from him, the friendship was broken by an "accident" with a magic trap. Mourning his friends death he once more became a loner.
Having some successes as a pretty thief and charmed some rich men's daughters with his otherworldly charm he tried to reclaim his lost inheritance. Studying all texts he could find regarding the fey, (learning a bit magic in the process,) he found old texts about the connection of his mother's people to the "true fey".

At last, standing in an ancient stone circle, near the woods his mother calls home, he performs the ancient rituals to embrace his destiny.Tyron was able to make some pacts with the wild spirit that appeared. He made a pact with the Laughing Man.[sblock=Laughing Man]When the Demons ruled the land, for lack of more interesting targets, the Laughing Man harried them with his violent jests; some say he is the first of the fey, the others the last, others that he was not fey at all but mearly plays at being one. When the Rainbow Serpents bound the darkness into the bones he skipped through their coils and off to the other worldly wilds. He helped the Gatekeepers during the last dark hours, though no story agrees on how or why. There are old places where you can go to call him still, and make promises that only he could fulfill. Blood is his wine of chioce, but he's peculiar about the vintage, only wine fermented in a evil vessel and spilled on the battle field pleases him.[/sblock]
If he killed an enemy in the name of his patrons, they allowed him to step briefly into the feywild.

And his patron summoned other fey to teach him:

Of one of the gloom fae, close relatives to the Shadar-Kai he received the ability to vanish as he moves fast and an eldritch blast of pure dark energy.

The prismatic being Duke of the Rainbow let him blind his foes with brilliant energys.

But the greatest gift was the ability to inflict a waking nightmare in his enemies and tore their perceptions, their mind torn from this world.[/sblock]
[SBLOCK=Appearance]He got the dark-brown hair of his father and his mother's emerald eyes. He prefers dark-green clothing accentuated with scarlet.

His general appearance is (for humans) exotic enough to be attractive but without the alieness of his mother's people.

Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 185 lb.[/sblock]
[SBLOCK=Personality]Tyron is friendly and charming to everybody, because he really wants to belong to someone, but has problems letting people close to him. After the death of Rat-Catcher he is afraid to loose another friend. He is pride of his abilities as a warlock, but is afraid of some of the truths and commands in his dreams. He likes cats, but no dogs. In a tavern he will order wine and no beer.[/sblock]
[sblock=Statblock]

Code:
Race: Half-Elf         Class: Warlock (Fey)
Str: 10 +0         Level: 1        XP: -
Con: 16 +3         BAB: +0         HP: 28
Dex: 11 +0         Grapple: +?     Dmg Red: -
Int: 15 +2         Speed: 6       Spell Res: N/A
Wis:  8 -1         Init: +0        Spell Save: N/A
Cha: 18 +4         ACP: ?          Alignment: Unaligned

AC: 15
FORT: 13
REF: 13
WILL: 15

Hit Points: 28
Bloodied: 14

Healing Surges/HP healed: 7
Healing Surges/day: 9

Second Wind:

Attacks:
Dagger +3 vs AC 1d4 Range 5/10
E.Blast +4 vs Reflex 1d10+4 10

Race and Class Features:
Group Diplomacy
(grant allies withhin 10 squares a +1 racial bonus to Diplomacy skill checks)
Fey Pact
(Misty Step - when you reduce an enemy under your Warlock's Curse to 0 hit points or fewer, you can teleport 3 squares as a free action)
Prime Shot
(if non of your allies is nearer to your target than you are, gain a +1 to ranged attacks against the target)
Shadow Walk
(move 3+ squares away on your turn, gain concealment until the end of your next turn)
Warlock's Curse
(once per turn, place a curse on the enemy nearest you; you do +1d6 damage on enemy; lasts until end of the encounter or enemy is defeated)
Low-Light Vision

Skills:
Passive Insight 16
Passive Perception 9

Acrobatics +0
Athletics +0
Bluff +9
Insight +6
Perception -1
Stealth +0
Streetwise +9
Thievery +5

Languages: Common, Elven, and Goblin

Equipment:
Leather armor, 3 daggers, wand, backpack, bedroll, flint and steel, belt pouch, 2 sunrods, 10 days' trail rations, 50 ft. of hempen rope, waterskin

[sblock=Powers]
attachment.php
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
WD
I'm really not sure how the fay part of your background and all those different fay mesh into eberron. The feywild is almost certainly going to become the "fairy plane" that Eberron already has. And when you level up and get new powers I'm not sure that you'll necessarily be being taught them by someone new. (Like, if you get a new shadow power do a bunch of Shadar-kai come and teach you?)
It'd be awesome, I think, in a different sort of game, but this going to be beer and pretzles, and pretty much by the book.

How does something like this sound for your patron:
When the Demons ruled the land, for lack of more interesting targets, the Laughing Man harried them with his violent jests; some say he is the first of the fey, the others the last, others that he was not fey at all but mearly plays at being one. When the Rainbow Serpents bound the darkness into the bones he skipped through their coils and off to the other worldly wilds. He helped the Gatekeepers during the last dark hours, though no story agrees on how or why. There are old places where you can go to call him still, and make promises that only he could fulfill. Blood is his wine of chioce, but he's peculiar about the vintage, only wine fermented in a evil vessel and spilled on the battle field pleases him.[/INDENT]
So he's one patron of unknown (possibly great) power and mysterious and ancient heritage. He can have summoned different fae to have taught you, and when you level you may have some sort of fx (like if you learn a shadow spell then the party member on watch could catch a glimpes of a shadowy figure speaking to you in the dawn light) but you have a single relationship with a single primal force.

Also, not exactly sure that Eladrin will be living in the feywild in Eberron. It seems more likely to me that they'll just be elves from Aerenal.
Of course, since non-elves aren't welcome in Aerenal it can fulfill basically the same role as the feywild does. It's someplace where your mother is that you couldn't go.

Sharn, goblins, seducing noble daughters, etc all work great.

EvKB, looking forward to it.​

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Graf said:
WD
I'm really not sure how the fay part of your background and all those different fay mesh into eberron. The feywild is almost certainly going to become the "fairy plane" that Eberron already has. And when you level up and get new powers I'm not sure that you'll necessarily be being taught them by someone new. (Like, if you get a new shadow power do a bunch of Shadar-kai come and teach you?)
It'd be awesome, I think, in a different sort of game, but this going to be beer and pretzles, and pretty much by the book.

How does something like this sound for your patron:
When the Demons ruled the land, for lack of more interesting targets, the Laughing Man harried them with his violent jests; some say he is the first of the fey, the others the last, others that he was not fey at all but mearly plays at being one. When the Rainbow Serpents bound the darkness into the bones he skipped through their coils and off to the other worldly wilds. He helped the Gatekeepers during the last dark hours, though no story agrees on how or why. There are old places where you can go to call him still, and make promises that only he could fulfill. Blood is his wine of chioce, but he's peculiar about the vintage, only wine fermented in a evil vessel and spilled on the battle field pleases him.[/INDENT]
So he's one patron of unknown (possibly great) power and mysterious and ancient heritage. He can have summoned different fae to have taught you, and when you level you may have some sort of fx (like if you learn a shadow spell then the party member on watch could catch a glimpes of a shadowy figure speaking to you in the dawn light) but you have a single relationship with a single primal force.

Also, not exactly sure that Eladrin will be living in the feywild in Eberron. It seems more likely to me that they'll just be elves from Aerenal.
Of course, since non-elves aren't welcome in Aerenal it can fulfill basically the same role as the feywild does. It's someplace where your mother is that you couldn't go.

Sharn, goblins, seducing noble daughters, etc all work great.

...​

Sounds reasonable, I will edit the background. But Eladrin will retain thei signature fey-step ability? What about a piece of Aerenal that is connected with the feyrealm (don't remeber the Eberron name at the moment), like Sharn is connected to another (that allows the city structure).
The patron sounds cool enough. Can I give him some other strange nicknames?

Crunch: I would like to take the mini-fireball wizard at-will power as my bonus encounter instead of ray of frost, if this is fine by you.​

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
Walking Dad said:
Sounds reasonable, I will edit the background. But Eladrin will retain thei signature fey-step ability? What about a piece of Aerenal that is connected with the feyrealm (don't remeber the Eberron name at the moment), like Sharn is connected to another (that allows the city structure).
The patron sounds cool enough. Can I give him some other strange nicknames?

Crunch: I would like to take the mini-fireball wizard at-will power as my bonus encounter instead of ray of frost, if this is fine by you.
IIRC elves were split into two catagories to try to deal with the perfect-race thing they had going.
there were the immortal super intelligent uber-arcanists and the natural druidic lives-in-trees type.

If you're going to say which is which in Eberron I think its fairly clear. Aerenal elves have tended to have feats focused around superior magical ability, Aerenal itself is almost a land removed already.
The elf powers like "faster overland movement" scream "valenar warband" to me. It's not like all teleport spells require a connection to the feywild (which doesn't exist per se in Eberron anyway).
Will they tie it in with the The-something Manifest Zone? Maybe. It's a good idea. I don't know if I need to say where the mini-teleport comes from...

it's not my favorite situation but given that there's nothing on Eberron I think we need to just go with what seems like it would make sense.

Graf

Explorer
@WD any swaps are fine, just indicate in your application and include links.

@kinem. The pregens are available all over. The 4e forum has whole threads about them. There are some websites up (dnd 4e.com or something?). Try google if you're having trouble.
I'll accept either the DnD Experience Pregens or the Keep on the Shadowfell pregens.

Graf

Explorer
I've seen the adventure, I actually have the materials to run the first few encounters already.
So we'll probably start pretty much just as soon after characters are selected.

kinem

Adventurer
Character Name: Brock Ironforge
Current Nationality: Brelish
Nation of Birth: Mror Holds
Race: Dwarf
Rank (if any) you held during the Last War: Sargeant
Pregen you're using: D&D experience, Kathra Ironforge
Any modifications: male

Background: The Last War made Brock realize that long term prosperity depends on getting along with and knowing about other peoples besides just one's own clan. He travelled to Sharn for a crash course in becoming worldly.

Appearance: Stout, muscular, bald but with a long red beard.

Why would you go looking for Douven ir'Staul? He was a friend who was part of a party Brock once accompanied to explore Sharn's undercity.

Stat block: see pregen

Running any games (on Enworld or elsewhere): X4: Master of the Desert Nomads

BTW, I will be OOT Thurs 5/22 - Sun 5/25.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases