[OOC] [Eberron] Beer n Pretzles Keep on the Shadowfell

Graf

Explorer
Action Points

Action Points in 4e are fairly different from 3.5 APs (either Eberron or whatever). They're given out daily, you use it or you loose it.

At the end of every extended (8hrs) of rest you lose all your APs from the prior day and gain one new one.
Every time you hit a milestone you get another.

A milestone occurs after every two encounters you have in one day.

So in the first encounter Tyron spent an action point, an hour later when he'sattacked by an owlbear he won't have any more to use. But after that encounter (the second of the day) you've passed a milestone.
If you're then attacked by something else (the 3rd encounter of the day) he'd have another to spend.
If Adain has been traveling with him and fighting all day but spent no action points he'd have 2 (the one he got first thing in the morning after his extended rest +1 more for hitting the milestone).

edit: As sg schooled me, you can only spend one action point an encounter.
Basically, they're a very tactical resource now.

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Actually, if I understand correctly, an extended refresh resets your AP to 1. You also cannot spend more than 1 an encounter.

Graf

Explorer
So the fights over. Spending an action point (and a daily) for Tyron was sort of risky.

I really don't intend to do that ever again. But that, along with some good rolls, finished the fight off.

Feel free to rp if you like. I'll move you along to the next scene in a bit.

PS Are 4e characters butch? Yes. Yes they are.

Graf

Explorer
stonegod said:
Actually, if I understand correctly, an extended refresh resets your AP to 1. You also cannot spend more than 1 an encounter.
Yeah, instead of saying "refresh" or "reset" though the book says "player characters lose all unspent action points, but start fresh with 1 action point."

Means the same thing but I figured it was best to paraphrase closer to the book.

Graf

Explorer
I haven't found the 1 ap per encounter thing yet...
Do you know what page link?
(seems kinda mean though... if someone has painstakingly saved up two or three action points (and gone through 4~6 encounters) to get to a boss fight... why shouldn't they be able to use them?)

Not that I'm right, it just seems like an "unfun" rule (and something else to keep track of).

Graf

Explorer
Yes it should be. I'm planning on just keeping a group total for now. When you get to 5000 you'll level.

EvolutionKB said:

[sblock=ooc]How far are we from the nearest town? Are the shoddy weapons/armor worth carrying? I'm guessing probably not.[/sblock]

As it happens, you're less than half a day to town.

This has been discussed on a couple of threads, but there's no mention of selling items like that anywhere. My thought is that it's listed for completeness's sake. A halfling who wanted a bunch of little javelins or a spare shield could pick it up (not that we really have rules for that...)

Walking Dad

First Post
Graf said:
So the fights over. Spending an action point (and a daily) for Tyron was sort of risky.

I really don't intend to do that ever again. But that, along with some good rolls, finished the fight off.

Feel free to rp if you like. I'll move you along to the next scene in a bit.

PS Are 4e characters butch? Yes. Yes they are.
Thank you for saving Aramil's butt, Graf. Next time, I promise, I will make the decicsion by myself. (Hope it was the last encounter for today... should have used the encounter one, but with my luch on IC ;) )

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases