Kill Bargle! A Pathfinder RPG Alpha Release Adventure

"KILL BARLGE!"

The shout rings out in the chilly night air, hanging in the tree branches above your heads. You awaken with a start and sit up, still dulled by sleep, and look around the campsite. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. The last of the logs in the fire still smolders a dull red, casting a flickering glow across your assembled faces.

Your minds race back, trying to reassemble what brought you here and where you are going. You remember that less than a week ago you had picked up a rumor that the accursed wizard had settled in a ruined keep in the shadows of the Fenwall mountains. Gathering the necessary supplies as quickly as possible you hired a boat to take you from the capital city of Korvosa to the wretched mining port of Palin's Cove. After making the briefest of inquiries you bought passage on a halfling riverboat called the Sinking Folly headed up the Falcon river though Harse and then on to the mining town of Baslwief.

Thank the Gods that your crew had been in a hurry to get home, otherwise your impatience to get to this backwater would have gotten the better of you.

The village of Baslwief had been a great disappointment, consisting of a few well-made stone houses built for the local Korvosan mining companies surrounded by numerous poorly-constructed wooden structures. Most of them couldn't have been sturdy when they were new, and the intervening harsh winter freezes and spring thaws had not been kind.

Nevertheless you had found a general store and smithy to attend to your needs, and after making a few inquiries, had discovered that a local ruined keep had become a problem for the outlying farmers of late. Seems that cattle abductions and mutilations had become more frequent since the end of the snows, always accompanied by small, three-toed reptilian footprints.

Even though it was late in the day, you left the village, hiking out of the Sarwin river valley and into the wooded uplands to the west, following the path of a small creek the local halflings called the Musifarisi. You found a good campsite and bedded down for the night, trying to find sleep amidst the excitement that tomorrow you might finally avenge poor Aleena's death.

Sleep, yes, sleep would be a good thing now, and you are all tired. How nice it would be to pull the blanket back over yourselves and drift off to ...

Wait! The shout! Who had shouted? That's what had woken you. In recollecting the last few weeks you had almost forgotten about it. None of you remembers shouting, although the voice had sounded familiar. Now only the wind through the trees and the baggage donkey's occasional movements break the silence.

[sblock=OOC]You are all awake and sitting up around the campfire. You could all use a few more hours of sleep, but then again your bedrolls weren't all the comfortable anyway. Judging from the state of the fire and the position of the stars, dawn is still two to three hours away.

Please feel free to post any general introductory statements. Remember that you've all known each other for a while and are on your way to the ruins of Keep Mistamere to deal with Bargle, an evil wizard who killed your friend Aleena a little over two years ago.

DRAMATIS PERSONAE
Zakok, Male Shoanti Barbarian 3 played by Walking Dad
Teratogen, Male Gnome Sorcerer 3 played by Ilium
Corby, Male Halfling Rogue 3 played by Zurai
Lanandro, Male Varisian Sorcerer 3 played by The Rolling Man
Thieren Hammersoul, Male Dwarf Cleric 3 played by Redclaw

OOC THREAD[/sblock]

Last edited:

Ilium

First Post
"Well, don't look at me," Terry says, his hands held high in a show of innocence. "I agree with the idea, but I wasn't the one that yelled it."

He looks around, squinting into the darkness. "Maybe we'd better have a look around to see if we've got company."

Walking Dad

First Post
"Damn, someone of us should keep watch." Zakok curses as he stretches oneself and readies his big hammer. "Who will come with me to investigate? Or should Corby sneak in first?"

Redclaw

First Post
Thieren glances around and grumps a little bit. I would hafta get me armor all on afore I'd be any use ta ye. I can start puttin' it on, but I won't be much use fer a while. On tha other hand, anyone wantin' Bargle dead prolly ain't an enemy o' mine.

The dwarf looks around, waiting for confirmation or dissent.

Last edited:

Zurai

First Post
"Why is it always 'Should Corby sneak in first'?", the halfling asks, in a fair imitation of Zakok's voice. "No one asks what Corby wants, oh no, especially not the bigguns. Buncha barmy sods."

He blinks owlishly around the room, then shrugs and works his way into his armor. Once suitably protected, he wraps his cloak around himself, looks around the campsite, and sneaks off into the woods in the closest he can figure to the general direction the shout came from.

Redclaw

First Post
With a sigh, Thieren begins to assemble his armor. If'n ye're just waitin', why dontcha make yerself useful and help me strap this metal on me back? he says to Zakok.

Walking Dad

First Post
"Sure friend, as you still insist on enclosing you in that much metal. But I would never argue about this with a dwarf." Zak replies smiling.

Ilium

First Post
Terry hops to his feet and says to the halfling, "I'll come along with you." He gathers up the few things he needs and loads his crossbow before adding with a wink and a nod toward the bigger folk, "We'll leave the stompers here."

The halfling quickly disappears into the pre-dawn darkness with barely a rustle of dry leaves.

Just as you are about to get concerned, Corby re-emerges from the opposite side of the clearing covered in mud and leaves from the waist down and holding a beautiful brook trout in his hands.

[sblock=Corby]
Stealth check 17 + 14 = 31
Perception check 20! + 7 = 27

Other than the brook trout you found nothing, not even a trace of someone having been there. It's hard to tell for sure in the dark, but there certainly does not seem to be anyone else near here now. Sorry if I was a bit heavy-handed with the trout thing.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases