Magic: the Sandbox

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
This thread is meant to gauge public interest in a little project of mine. But first, a little background:

I played magic for years when I was in grade school and I loved it, for the most part. I loved the five-color scheme, I loved building decks and testing them against other players and I even loved one of the M:tG novels (the Brothers’ War). One thing that I didn’t like about the game was that I often couldn’t get my hands on the cards that I really wanted; sometimes it was because I just didn’t get lucky enough when buying booster packs, but usually it was simply because the designers hadn’t come up with the cards I wanted. Another thing that I didn’t like was that in order to “keep up” with the competition, I had to continually buy more cards because each set was slightly better than the last one. It was hard enough finding the money to buy a booster pack every few weeks in my working class household, and when I finally started making my own money I decided that “keeping up” just wasn’t worth the money. For a while I played every now and then with my close friends but by the time I went to college, I had mostly sold my cards off for clothing money and had stopped playing altogether. So now I’m 24 and I have an itch to play again, but I don’t want to depend on WotC to print the cards that I want and I don’t want to pay for tiny pieces of printed paper (or digital recreations of tiny pieces of printed paper) anymore. So without further ado I present to you Magic: the Sandbox!

The idea is that I, and players like me, will form a community and iron out a set of rules with which each player can create and render their own cards to play with. These rules for card creation will constantly expand to include new abilities that the community wants to use, but the rules will never “evolve” in the way that official M:tG is constantly evolving in order to encourage players to “keep up”. New abilities will be added to the rules set after communal deliberation (and likely, debate), but nobody’s card creations will ever become weak or inefficient compared to newer cards. Now I’ve already begun writing a pdf that will be the very crude beginning of this project and I’ve downloaded Twan van Laarhoven’s Magic Set Editor (though I can’t open it and can’t access his forum to ask how either); all I need now is a community of players to do this thang with me!

TS

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Tequila Sunrise said:
...all I need now is a community of players to do this thang with me!

TS
Sounds interesting. I was also a MtG-fan, but stopped for similar reasons - plus: Not being able to create cards on my own wasn't satisfying my inner gearhead.

But "thang" sounds dirty. :p

Cheers, LT.

When I wanted a cheap Magic fix, I set up a "guild" of 8 players.

Basically, we each started with a starter and 3 boosters ($20 investment), and could trade with each other, but we had to keep our cards in the 'guild' separate from the rest of our cards. It was supposed to give an even playing field with the rest of the group. Every week, we'd play a mini-tournament, usually just standard 1-on-1 style, but occasionally spice it up, and we'd figure out the rankings for that week.

Then we'd open 3 booster packs (each player chipped in about $1.50 to cover the cost). The two lowest-ranked players got to pick one card each from the uncommons or commons (the idea being that maybe their decks suck, so they need to get better cards, but they shouldn't get first crack at the rares). Then from 1st place on down to 6th, each player would pick one card. Then we'd repeat, until they were all picked.

It only ran for about two months, but it was fun while it lasted, and cheap.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Lord Tirian said:
But "thang" sounds dirty. :p
I think that's because of that song that that guy sung with a southern twang: "Wild thang, you make my heart sing..." Or maybe it's because 'thang' is one tiny arced line away from 'thong'. Take your pick. ;)

Anyway, I've gotten a lot of interest in this project over at Giant in the Playground so I'll direct you there.

TS

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases