Minions and Temporary HPs

Kraydak

First Post
Obryn said:
I'll probably just use temp HP as damage resistance to reduce bookkeeping. Maybe. I dunno.

I'll see how it works in play.

-O

Why complicate things? Any damage destroys minions. It doesn't matter how many hp (real or temporary) they have.

Heck, it is impossible to knock out minions through damage. Even if you wanted to take prisoners, the "any damage destroys minions" rule kills them.

hong

WotC's bitch
Kraydak said:
Why complicate things? Any damage destroys minions. It doesn't matter how many hp (real or temporary) they have.

Heck, it is impossible to knock out minions through damage. Even if you wanted to take prisoners, the "any damage destroys minions" rule kills them.
Huh?

Resist 5 all is way too powerful as it's an effect that lasts whole encounter!

Keep It Simple Stupid (works for me, I'm dumb :p)

Minions only ever have 1 hp.
Wyrmpriests ability gives hit points.
Thus, Wyrmpriest power has NO effect on minions.

Alternatively, change wyrmpriest's actual power to give +1 all defences to all allies (not just minions), as Stalker0 suggested. But that's more work...

Personally I'll go with simplest way: non-minion kolbods get the hp boost. No worries for me at all! :)
Note the minions still get the bonus shift 1 square when it's used by wyrmpriest.

IMO:

Chris Sims ninja comment or no, it makes no sense to suddenly have to track minion hp because it's >1 *AND* more importantly, suddenly give them an advantage that a hit does not necessarily kill them anymore while they still have the benefit of not being affected by a miss.

Zero sense at all.

Minions = 1 hp = drop with a hit, regardless.

hong

WotC's bitch
Kraydak said:
Normally, when you drop a creature to 0 hp, you can choose whether or not to kill them. With minions, you can't: they are destroyed upon taking any amount of damage.
What makes you believe the order of precedence is

(destroy minion)
(decide whether to kill/KO)

as opposed to

(destroy minion)

?

Kraydak

First Post
hong said:
What makes you believe the order of precedence is

(destroy minion)

as opposed to

(destroy minion)

?

Because they are different rule sets. One triggers because you do damage to a minions (the destruction). The other triggers because you drop a creature to zero (KO/kill choice). *Both* usually trigger when you hit a minion (temp hp/resistance notwithstanding), and so you can opt to KO the minion, but it will also be destroyed (not killed, destroyed!).

hong

WotC's bitch
Kraydak said:
Because they are different rule sets. One triggers because you do damage to a minions (the destruction).

The destruction triggers on dropping the minion to 0.

Is there a point to this mindless pedantry?

Kraydak

First Post
hong said:
The destruction triggers on dropping the minion to 0.

The destruction explicitly triggers on the minion taking damage. If you had a 2000 hp minions, it would still be destroyed upon taking any damage.

Is there a point to this mindless pedantry?

Amusement at WotC apparently having gotten the rules wrong somewhere in the process (see page 1)? Honest curiosity about how Resistance interacts with minions when it reduces incoming damage to 0? In any case other than Resistance, the rules are crystal clear (and contradict Chris Sims).

hong

WotC's bitch
Kraydak said:
The destruction explicitly triggers on the minion taking damage.

Which is in the context of minions having 1 hp.

If you had a 2000 hp minions, it would still be destroyed upon taking any damage.

No, if you had 2000 hp minions, you would be in undefined territory and would have to use judgement to decide on the most reasonable outcome. That would most certainly not be minions being destroyed on impact, which would defeat the purpose of giving them 2000 hp in the first place.

Amusement at WotC apparently having gotten the rules wrong somewhere in the process (see page 1)? Honest curiosity about how Resistance interacts with minions when it reduces incoming damage to 0? In any case other than Resistance, the rules are crystal clear (and contradict Chris Sims).

The rules are crystal clear only to those bent on mindless pedantry.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases