Prone?

DimitriX

First Post
Reading through the KotS adventure, I see that there are a lot of events that can knock a creature prone. The pregen fighter has an encounter power that can knock a creature prone and falling from a height can knock a creature prone (along with dealing a lot of damage). And the quick start rules explains the modifiers that affect a creature while it is prone.

But, here's the question: does getting up from a prone position provoke an opportunity attack from an adjacent enemy? The quick start rules do not address this. There is confusion from the PHB-lite (which is fan created and is no better than my guess). So, I'd like an official answer so I don't have to correct myself a few weeks later when the official rules come out. Thanks.

(I've typically had better luck getting answers here. That's why I've posted here and on the WotC official rules forum.)

keterys

First Post
It does not provoke. The quick start rules likely don't mention it because they should only mention it if it did provoke.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It does NOT provoke.

I don't have a source for you, 'cause I can't remember. But I am certain.

Ninja'd by the man I knew would agree with me.

Also, if you're looking for Bull Rush it's on page 65.

Fitz

DimitriX

First Post
I got a ruling from the WotC (they're just trying to make me eat crow now):

"The following actions provoke:
• Moving out of a square when an enemy is adjacent to you.
• Making a ranged attack or area attack.

If it's not on that list, it doesn't provoke.

I have to say that I like the simplicity. I'll be willing to bet that's an influence from Mearls and Iron Heroes.

Last edited:

Verys Arkon

First Post
DimitriX said:

There is confusion from the PHB-lite (which is fan created and is no better than my guess). So, I'd like an official answer so I don't have to correct myself a few weeks later when the official rules come out. Thanks.

This was adjusted in PrRC v2.5 (May 15).

Rex Blunder

First Post
It is funny that rooting around in your backpack doesn't provoke.

However, 3e had all those items like the handy haversack, which everyone got as soon as possible, and I guess I never missed the tactical complexity added by AoO's for retrieving stored items.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases