Is a short sword a light blade?

JVisgaitis

Explorer
We're planning on playing KotS this weekend and I know the first thing that is going to happen is that the Rogue is going to want to ditch that dagger for a short sword. Do we have stats one? Also, does anyone have a link to the weapons update on the D&D site? I can't find anything on their website and unfortunately my D&D site index (i.e. EN World) doesn't seem to have it readily accessible either.

Kordeth

First Post
Based on the halfling paladin from DDXP, a short sword does 1d6 damage with a +3 proficiency bonus to attack. It's almost certainly a light blade, but I'm not sure that's officially stated anywhere we've seen.

And Scarface is correct--rogues get a +1 to attack with daggers as a class feature, so it's not quite so much of a no-brainer to switch to a shortsword. It's effectively a trade off between an extra +1 to hit and +1 to damage (on average).

Ktulu

First Post
Careful, saying scarface is correct is akin to opening a pandora's box full of leet speak. ;)

the rogue gets a +1 with daggers as it's a classic rogue weapon.

Since both weapons are light blades, both can be used for sneak attack, and (presumbably) both can use dex for attack damage.

cdrcjsn

First Post
Fiendish Dire Weasel said:
I'd keep the dagger. That +1 to hit is important, and what I saw of 2 Rogues last weekend, throwing them is critical to the Rogues gameplay.

So very true.

If you don't do the "find cover/concealment + throw dagger with stealth" routine, you're gonna lose a lot of your sneak attack opportunities during a typical encounter.

prismra

First Post
Speaking of Rogues, what the hell is up with sneak attack?

You can only use it when you have combat advantage but the only way I can see to get it is to flank? What the hell happened to sneaking up behind a mo-fo and stabbing him in the gizzard?

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
JVisgaitis said:
We're planning on playing KotS this weekend and I know the first thing that is going to happen is that the Rogue is going to want to ditch that dagger for a short sword. Do we have stats one? Also, does anyone have a link to the weapons update on the D&D site? I can't find anything on their website and unfortunately my D&D site index (i.e. EN World) doesn't seem to have it readily accessible either.

Short Sword +2 prof 1d6 light blade

Dagger +3 prof 1d4 light blade

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases