KotS Final Encounter: SPOILERS

Simplicity

Explorer
Again, spoiler warning. Don't read if you are going to play KotS.

Wow. I've finally managed to read through Keep on the Shadowfell. And that last encounter is one heck of a doozie. A level 8 elite plus skeletal soldiers plus a deathlock wight which hangs back and plunks away at the party's healing surges. A magic circle which heals the baddies. A thing in the portal which smacks around people who get too close. In order to get to the encounter, climb down 50 foot chains. Fall and you take 3d10 damage. You may have to fight through 2 earlier encounters to even get here. And there may be no time to rest between them since you may be chasing a scout and since a ritual is going on to open the portal.

This encounter is going to turn parties to paste.

I can see some helpful tactics already...
1) Bullrush the wight into the pit. Doesn't matter if it kills him. It prevents him from having any effect on the combat (including raising skeletons and stealing healing surges). Hopefully, you have a nice DM who makes this easy on you by keeping the wight near the pit.
2) Don't do the new skill challenge. Too hard (and takes too many actions). Virtually no gain. You'll need every last party member focused on the other baddies.
3) Use rogue abilities to keep Superman out of the magic circle and away from the thing.
4) Don't let that scout get there. If you do, you're toast.

One question I would have is do DMs let their party take a 5 minute rest before scaling down the chains? My guess is: probably not. The best chance is to kill the scout, take the 5 minute rest before area 17 and then take on 17 followed by 18. Ugh.

Simplicity

Explorer
And now, ideas on how to kill your party:

1) Keep the wight away from the pit and the party. Aim for paladins first. Their healing surges help keep other party members on their feat. Besides, undead hate paladins.
2) Move the skeletons to defend Kalelel, and try to get them into the circle. The extra defenses and regeneration will help.
3) Bullrush weak looking adventurers into the portal. Especially good if it can be done to rogues or warlocks who are pushing Kalelel around.
4) Focus attacks to knock out PCs. Then let the thing deal with them. When the party tries to help their comrade, immobilize them.
5) Not certain, but can the thing pull in immobilized PCs or only helpless PCs? If it can pull in the immobilized, that's one easy way to pick a couple of people off.
6) I'm surprised the weakened condition doesn't do anything to Athletics checks. If it did, it'd be a great strategy to weaken those climbing down the chains.

Simplicity

Explorer
Okay, I've looked it over again. Killing the party is much easier than I thought.
Hang back with the wight. When the party tries to attack Kalarel, just use Horrible Visage on them. It's an area effect fear attack that pushes everyone 3 squares away. You can push the whole party right into the portal.

The end.

Sure, everyone gets a saving throw before falling into the portal, but I think even killing off half the party is sufficient to end this encounter. Even if someone MAKES the save, they wind up prone in front of the death line. The thing just grabs them and pulls them in on its turn.

Ouch.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases