Blast, Burst and Close

Negflar2099

Explorer
The one thing I can't figure out is the difference between Burst, Blast and Close attacks.

A Burst is like a fireball right so a Burst 3 would look like this ( O=Origin Square, X=Affected Sqaure) right?

XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXOXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX

And a Blast 3 would look like this (O=Origin Square, X=Affected square) right?

XXX
XXX
XXX
O

So would would Close look like and how is it different than a Burst? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mort_Q

First Post
Negflar2099 said:
I looked through that page sent me to but I couldn't find it.

Page 60 if you go by the printed page number, Page 64 if you're just viewing in a pdf reader.

Negflar2099 said:
So what's a regular burst? Is there such a thing?

Ok, now that I've confused you...

Your first example is a Close Burst 3.

Your second example is a Blast 3.

The other kind of Burst is a ranged Burst... which centers, not on the caster, like a close burst, but on a square within a designated range.

ShinRyuuBR

First Post
This is why I've said it should be called "Ranged Burst" and "Close Burst" instead of "Area Burst" and "Close Burst", in this thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=227160

It's just not intuitive.

Just to be clear, a burst can originate either at range or at yourself (Area Burst and Close Burst, respectively). A blast is alway close, and a wall is always area (ranged).

Stogoe

First Post
I don't think a Blast is always Close. The placing of the effect doesn't change, but 'Close' just means "no OA", and a Blast *could* provoke OAs, theoretically. It would seem silly, but it's possible.

*note that this is my opinion and may not actually be correct.

Logan_Bonner

First Post
The Pre-release Rules Compilation uses the wrong terminology. It will say "close blast," not just "blast," and "area burst" instead of "ranged burst."

The categories are:
Melee—single target, doesn't provoke, attack a nearby creature.
Close—multi-target, doesn't provoke, attack nearby creatures, origin square is your square.
Ranged—single target, provokes, attack a distant creature.
Area—multi-target, provokes, attack distant creatures, origin square is far away.

Mort_Q

First Post
WotC_Logan said:
The Pre-release Rules Compilation uses the wrong terminology. It will say "close blast," not just "blast," and "area burst" instead of "ranged burst."

The categories are:
Close—multi-target, doesn't provoke, attack nearby creatures, origin square is your square.
Area—multi-target, provokes, attack distant creatures, origin square is far away.

You're the best! Thanks.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
WotC_Logan said:

The categories are:

Logan - So a Close Blast 5, in effect, forms a block of squares that are adjacent to (but not including) the caster's square? Whereas a Close Burst 5 forms a bigger block with the caster's square as the center origin?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases