D&D 4E 4e Aquatic Beasties?

Aeolius

Adventurer
I recall seeing concept art for the 4e kuo-toa, but has anything else been posted, regarding the role of liquid space and the denizens therein, in 4e?

duke_Qa

First Post
Not a big fan of games beneath water myself. Amphibians are acceptable since you can meet them on land or in areas where they can use shallow water tactically... but i would hate to see WotC spend large amount of the MM on water-races that won't see alot of action.

there are two things i would hope to see: kraken and sirens. after that i don't know how useful they would be.

Hellzon

First Post
Really hazy memory here, but there was a post by a dev that hinted that underwater rules were going in the DMG II. Kind of hints that there won't be purley underwater creatures in the MM, too.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Hellzon said:
Really hazy memory here, but there was a post by a dev that hinted that underwater rules were going in the DMG II
THIS thread, perhaps? ;)
WotC_Logan said:
I read this post and thought, Man, that is weird. I talked to James about it and he says he'll make it happen for the first MM after we have robust aquatic rules (DMG2 maybe? No promises!).

Saitou

First Post
Hellzon said:
That's the one. Thanks, now I know I'm not hallucinating. ;)
Are you sure?

On topic though, who uses subaquatic creatures? Yeah yeah, dire sharks are cool and all, but I thought the whole rules baggage of being underwater killed the mood for everyone back in 3.5.

Kunimatyu

First Post
I'm okay with the true aquatics waiting until a later MM/DMG to show up -- they're rarely used, and hard to make miniatures for.

Amphibious creatures, like sahaugin, kuo-toa, chuul, and aboleth are a different story, and I hope we see plenty of them.

I still really want to see a Kraken of some kind, but I'm not sure exactly how best to make it work -- perhaps individual tentacles on Medium or Large bases? You could also have a "maw" that the tentacles pull the target over to to devour them.

In fact, I bet a Kraken would be best handled with the trap rules, come to think of it...

boolean

Explorer
Kunimatyu said:
Amphibious creatures, like sahaugin, kuo-toa, chuul, and aboleth are a different story, and I hope we see plenty of them.
We've already got confirmation on the Chuul. (It was one of the preview pages displayed at DDXP, IIRC.)

Aeolius

Adventurer
Saitou said:
...who uses subaquatic creatures? Yeah yeah, dire sharks are cool and all, but I thought the whole rules baggage of being underwater killed the mood for everyone back in 3.5.
Not everyone ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases