You're Marked..how and what'sum'up?

Emirikol

Adventurer
This looks like the new dreaded rule..being marked. I'm not sure how a person get's marked and I've got a KotS game tomorrow night. Can someone reference me to the rule or how it works?

Attachments

• marked.jpg
    marked.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 386

Kordeth

First Post
Emirikol said:
This looks like the new dreaded rule..being marked. I'm not sure how a person get's marked and I've got a KotS game tomorrow night. Can someone reference me to the rule or how it works?

Marking is a specific ability of certain attacks. See the fighter and paladin character sheets in KotS for details--fighters can mark anybody they attack, and paladins have a special at-will power that lets them mark a target within 5 squares.

I don't recall if any monsters in the module have the ability to mark, but if they do, it will say "the target is marked" in the attack's description.

chaotix42

First Post
For the fighter he gets to mark after he makes a melee attack, whether he hits or misses, as a free action. The paladin can mark anyone within a 5 square burst as a minor action.

Rechan

Adventurer
chaotix42 said:
For the fighter he gets to mark after he makes a melee attack, whether he hits or misses, as a free action. The paladin can mark anyone within a 5 square burst as a minor action.
The paladin can only mark 1 person at a time, too. That's an important distinction.

Rechan

Adventurer
Kordeth said:
I don't recall if any monsters in the module have the ability to mark, but if they do, it will say "the target is marked" in the attack's description.
The dragonshields do if they hit, I believe.

eleran

First Post
Emirikol said:
Is it a minor or standard action to "mark" someone?

jh

Depends on the ability, but most of them are done as part of an attack.
Here is the blurb about marked as a condition from the pre-release rules compendium

"MARKED: (From Premade Character Sheets and Save My Game
Article)
A particular creature has marked you.
You can only be marked by 1 creature at a time. If another creature
marks you, you lose the old mark and gain the new one.
You are at -2 on all attacks that do not include the creature that marked
you as a target.
You may suffer other penalties for attacking a creature other than the
one that marked you, if that creature has such an ability."

Any monster that can mark will say so in the statblock in the powers section.

Keep in mind the paladins mark does something completely different.Take a look at that character sheet for details.

Hawken

First Post
I kind of get the marking thing, as far as how the rules explain what it does, but how exactly does it work?

I mean, so a Fighter or a Paladin marks someone. So what? I can see it as a term similar to how 3E Dodge has the person choosing the target that the feat works against. But how or what is it exactly in the 'marking' that causes the target to suffer a penalty to attack?

Fighter: Aha! I just marked you!
Monster: So what? **Whacks rogue flanking him**
Fighter: You have to attack me.
Monster: Why? **Pummels paladin coming over to surround him**
Fighter: Because I marked you. If you don't, it will be harder to hit anyone else but me.
Monster: Hmmm, how exactly? I mean what exactly would cause me to miss someone else rather than hit you? **Lands two-weapon attacks on the paladin and rogue**
Fighter: Well, the mark just does it. That's why its called a 'mark'.
Monster: Oh...ok. Good luck with that!

Remove ads