So after reading the classes in full what do people think?

Lord Nat

First Post
I have been reading classes all day and I think I have a over all view on them now.
Here is what I think:

Cleric:
I was shocked by how cool they are in 4e. Tons of good damage dealing powers along with a lot of good healing powers to well cover the role for leader. But out of nowhere it has the power to summon ghostly knights that wonder around the battle to do differing effects. One makes OA's while others give bonuses to AC, and so on. Really cool on the flavor level and a neat trick that I did not see coming.
Over all thought: Neat leader that fills it's role very well.

Fighter:
Going in I guessed it be mostly deal X(W) damage. While I was KIND of right on that there are some things I did not see coming. The weapons you take matter now as some powers do better with some weapons. There is a lot of differing styles of powers, from just standing there and beating down to running all over the place like a dervish. Plus there are a few nice area attacks that give you some crowd control.
Over all thought: Fighter looks fun at last, Plus I can see having more then one in a party.

Paladin:
This class threw me for a loop... A lot of powers I did not see coming that I am still trying to get used to the flavor of in my head. He can link the parties minds so that can talk in battle, teleport all over the place with a good number of his powers, and over all just do some messed up stuff. I mean I can understand that they are the hammer of the gods striking in their name and all... but ya mind links and teleporting was not what I had in mind.
Over all thought: good defender just messed up flavor.

Rogue:
Was mostly what I was thinking it'd be. A fighter with a lot of tricks. It's not just about the sneak attack anymore, there is a lot of movement powers and little things you can do. Plus there are a LOT of out of combat powers. While I don't think you NEED one anymore, they are kings of skill checks as they used to be so there will still be that want to have one running around.
Over all thought: Nice striker with more out of combat powers then any other class.

Ranger:
My main thought on this is that it is really two classes. A TWF melee class and a ranged combat sniper. The two weapon side is all about getting in a lot attacks and darting around the field looking for a best place to unload a few attacks or an area attack. The sniper side is crazy powerful with the most damage output to a single target in the book. There are a view close blast powers for the sniper as well to deal with crowds. But still mostly about large attacks.
Over all thought: This class is crazy powerful and will likely get the highest kill count in most parties.

Warlock:
A little striker, a little controller, and a little defender... Each one of the pacts puts you more into one of those rolls but it can still kind of fill all three based on what powers you pick. There is a lot of de-buff and damage over time effects. Plus a few funking powers that take people out of combat for a little.
Over all thought: Warlock feels a little like the new bard to me in the way it kind of takes on a few roles.

Warlord:
The kind of boosters and moves like I thought it'd be. All of it's powers are about giving some kind of bonus or moving the party around the battle. I can see any party wanting a least one of this class.
Over all thought: If you don't like playing tactical games you might find this class boring as you really never shine on your own.

Wizard:
Being taken down from the king of all classes to the dude who deals with crowds was a little hard for me to take at first but it is well done. A lot of area powers and little spells to debuff and control. the big thing I like about it is that it's out of combat powers are still around and useful. Plus you get to have more powers then any other class and pick the ones you want to use.
Over all thought: Not the wizard we knew, but the little brother that might become greater in time.

What do other people think about the classes?

Rzach

First Post
Best. Classes. Ever.

But seriously I like the new class designs. They are well designed and function as they should.

Anyways back to Drow Rogues and Orc Warlords.

Later,
Rzach

drjones

Explorer
I think Wizard actually looks like a lot of fun, better than I would have thought from the pregens. Add in the Rituals (including classics like Tensers floating disk, comprehend languages etc.) and it will definitely be my first PC.

After looking at the feats (which seem intentionally low-powered in general to make up for getting so many of them and to avoid stacking issues) I am looking forward to trying a multiclass as well. Oh and a shurikin thief.

Also the Kensai level 20 power is f'n awesome.

fletch137

Explorer
Lord Nat said:
Paladin:
This class threw me for a loop... A lot of powers I did not see coming that I am still trying to get used to the flavor of in my head.

Wait, for reals? Teleporting and mind linking? For being otherwise really pro-4e, I've had the hardest time jiving the crunch of the paladin with the fluff of what I've always thought paladins were. It sounds like it's a larger problem than I'd feared.

Is there any indication that these powers are based on which god the paladin reveres? Does a paladin of Bahamut have the same powers as a paladin of Bane?

Starbuck_II

First Post
Lord Nat said:
Paladin:
This class threw me for a loop... A lot of powers I did not see coming that I am still trying to get used to the flavor of in my head. He can link the parties minds so that can talk in battle, teleport all over the place with a good number of his powers, and over all just do some messed up stuff. I mean I can understand that they are the hammer of the gods striking in their name and all... but ya mind links and teleporting was not what I had in mind.
Over all thought: good defender just messed up flavor.
Wait, so the Paladim ate the Society of Mind (3.5 Psionics class that mindlinks as special ability) and Elocutor (Psionnic movement/teleport class)?

Cadfan

First Post
fletch137 said:
Wait, for reals? Teleporting and mind linking? For being otherwise really pro-4e, I've had the hardest time jiving the crunch of the paladin with the fluff of what I've always thought paladins were. It sounds like it's a larger problem than I'd feared.
I don't know, I can see it. Angels have abilities that let them teleport adjacent to chosen foes. Paladin's are very similar to 4e angels in a lot of ways, so they might as well share.

Lord Nat

First Post
Starbuck_II said:
Wait, so the Paladim ate the Society of Mind (3.5 Psionics class that mindlinks as special ability) and Elocutor (Psionnic movement/teleport class)?

Well the mind link power is a low level utility power that links the party with in 30 feet for the encounter. It might help in planing attacks but outside of that it is mostly a flavor power.

The teleporting is all teleporting party members to your side to protect them or teleporting to them to do the same.
Just feels a little off to me...

Bold or Stupid

First Post
Lord Nat said:
Well the mind link power is a low level utility power that links the party with in 30 feet for the encounter. It might help in planing attacks but outside of that it is mostly a flavor power.

The teleporting is all teleporting party members to your side to protect them or teleporting to them to do the same.
Just feels a little off to me...

That sounds like a paladin to me, but then thelast one I GM'd for was from House Orien...

All in all it sounds like a good way of using magic to allow you to protect someone. It helps make them something more than a fighter with a holy symbol as they tended to be in 3.x.

TheSleepyKing

First Post
Lord Nat said:
Wizard:
Being taken down from the king of all classes to the dude who deals with crowds was a little hard for me to take at first but it is well done. A lot of area powers and little spells to debuff and control. the big thing I like about it is that it's out of combat powers are still around and useful. Plus you get to have more powers then any other class and pick the ones you want to use.
Over all thought: Not the wizard we knew, but the little brother that might become greater in time.

What do other people think about the classes?

I kind of hate the new wizard. All he or she does is blow stuff up. Virtually all the daily and encounter spells pretty much boil down to damage+area of effect+energy type+status effect (which only lasts for a round if the spell is per encounter or at will). Utilities are mostly of the avoid damage/get me the hell out of here variety.

The problem I have really is that the Wizard is no longer the guy for creative solutions to problems. There's no more using a minor illusion to cover a pit, or throwing a rope at an enemy and animating it. Or transmuting rock to mud to create a mire, or summoning a celestial monkey to check for traps. Everything a wizard does is just a variation on the fireball now.

Having now seen all the classes, the Wizard has gone, in my opinion, from being the most interesting class to play to be the least interesting (the rogue, ranger and warlord are probably going to be the most popular classes now).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases