Build me a katana + trenchcoat guy

hong

WotC's bitch
Nifft said:
There was a Dwarf Rogue/Fighter who did indeed use a warhammer in one of my games. Dirty Sven, if I recall correctly. He was amusing.

I've always kinda liked the idea of a clanky, metal-armored, non-Acrobatic Rogue who's more of a locksmith / trapsmith than a sneak, and who acts more like a Fighter in melee (except when he stabs you in the back with a hammer).

Cheers, -- N
Well, you could still do that in 4E, AFAIK. Fighter extra-damage powers should be able to substitute adequately for sneak attack. You might not technically be able to reproduce the "stab in the back" aspect, but if your concept is flexible enough, then the basic mechanic of rolling a huge bunch of damage dice still comes through.

Spatula

Explorer
hong said:
Ouch. That implies a pretty big disparity between your tanks and everyone else.
Having statted up a lvl 1-30 fighter (albeit a 2H-user and not a tank) and a 1-30 rogue, their ACs are about the same throughout. In fact, I think they ended up with the same AC at level 30. A proper tank would be 3 points or so higher, for using a heavy shield and having the shield specialization feat. Of course, a rogue could spend some feats and get the same bonus.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
hong said:
Well, you could still do that in 4E, AFAIK. Fighter extra-damage powers should be able to substitute adequately for sneak attack. You might not technically be able to reproduce the "stab in the back" aspect, but if your concept is flexible enough, then the basic mechanic of rolling a huge bunch of damage dice still comes through.
I've been thinking about how to do him in 4e. Here's what I've got.

1/ Quickdraw.
2/ Bandoleer of daggers.

He starts as a Fighter, and at 2nd level takes the Rogue multi-classing feat. Once per fight, he whips out a dagger and surprises someone with Sneak Attack. He then leaves the dagger in his opponent and returns to hitting them with his warhammer.

Some of the Rogue-focused feats seem pretty good for his dirty fighting style.

Cheers, -- N

Spatula

Explorer
Drawing a weapon is a minor action now, making quickdraw somewhat useless. Quickdraw gives a +2 bonus to Init, too, but it doesn't stack with Improved Init (still +4, both are feat bonuses), so that's of limited usefulness.

Cadfan

First Post
Spatula said:
Drawing a weapon is a minor action now, making quickdraw somewhat useless.
But not entirely useless. Not only does it save you your minor action in case you wanted it for something else, but it also lets you draw your weapon as part of an attack of opportunity, or an interrupt attack.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases