Since when are Character Sheets are "useful additions"

Alnag

First Post
I've just find a funny thing in DMG (page 6). While Battle Grid and D&D Miniatures are listed as "What you need to play", Character Sheets are now just "useful additions".

Now I can see how this could provide the ammunition to the "D&D is wargame" argument. I take it just as a mistake and good joke though. Wanted to share with you...

Cadfan

First Post
I believe they meant this to mean that official character sheets are useful additions, in comparison to notebook paper.

Chibbot

First Post
While I think I get the point you're trying to make, I would certainly agree that character sheets are nice but not required.

We've used character sheets, 3rd party/fan character sheets, computer programs, excel, note paper, and occasionally even memory (that particular system didn't last long...)

Also, while I personally love tactical wargaming and thus have absolutely no complaints about the "required" board and minis, I do think that they should fall under the category of recommended, and not required.

Nail

First Post
Alnag said:
I've just find a funny thing in DMG (page 6). While Battle Grid and D&D Miniatures are listed as "What you need to play", Character Sheets are now just "useful additions".
A useful data point for you:

I've been playing D&D every year for almost thirty years. I've played every edition of D&D published.....

....and I've *yet* to use a publisher-provided Character sheet. Most of the time, I just use a blank peice of paper and a pencil. Lined paper sometimes helps. :cool:

So yeah: Character Sheet are useful additions, but they aren't necessary.

Last edited:

Drakhar

First Post
I'll probably wind up having my group use those then seeing as it's hard enough to read their hand writing as it is some times

Remove ads