Knightfall's Realmsian Dragonstar (Updated: Sept 08/10)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Two actually...

Faerûn Cities Burning:
Across Faerûn, city after city fell into flames. The Imperial soldiers were relentless in their destruction. They suppressed all revolts with an uncanny ferocity.

Beluir's resistance movement had been crushed with the death of its leaders including Finkel Sunbottle. Those freedom fighters unfortunate enough to have been captured were sent to detention camps southwest of the city. The situation was the same in Estagund. The Imperials wiped out the citizens of Chavyondat without mercy. Halaruaa was hard pressed on all sides not only from the Imperials but also from the half-drow rulers of Dambrath who quickly aligned themselves with the Imperials and the drow agents of the ISPD. In Halarahh, the magic of its citizens was the only thing that evened the odds against the laser blasters of the Imperials. Still, the outlook was grim without the Weave and many Halruaans committed suicide after Mystra's sudden death.

In Amn and Tethyr, the situation had gone from dire to nearly hopeless. The Imperials moved from city to city unchecked burning and looting. In Amn, only Athkatla still stood due to the intervention of Bane. Every city in Tethyr burned under the relentless assault of Imperial plasma blasters. The elves and fey of the Wealdath came to the Tethyrians aid but to no avail. Instead, the Tethyrians were forced to retreat into the forest. The Imperials, in response, buzz the forest from above firing into the canopy. They don't care what they hit. Many of the forests denizens have retreated to the plane of the lythari but the elven shapechangers refuse to take all comers.

In Calimshan, the situation is somewhat better. Shar refused to give an inch to the Imperials and her followers fought with a ferocity and zeal that impressed even their enemies. The cities were aflame but they remained free from Imperials for the most part. It was turning into the bloodiest conflict on the continent. As a result, the Imperials quickly recruited the evil goblinoids and giants of the Forest of Mir with promises of gold and glory. The ISPD found new recruits amongst the Vhaeraunian drow of the forest as well.

In the Unapproachable East, the Imperials attacks forced the Aglarond, Rashemen, and Thay to work together. The uneasy treaty between the three countries has forced the Imperials to deal with the combined magical might of the witches of Rashemen, the Red Wizards, and the Simbul. However, they are fighting on two fronts. First, there are the Imperials attacking from the North with the help of the worst of the Moonsea and the Sea of the Fallen Stars. Second, there are the Mulhorandi attacking from the south with the help of the power of the new Imperial-Mulhorandi Aspects of the Unification Church.

The Witch-Queen was heard to say the following quote after viewing the ruins of Dilpur in Impiltur: “So much destruction. So much death. These invaders must be stopped or Faerûn is lost.”

With Elminster's departure from Waterdeep, that city quickly found itself hard pressed. Then the Avatar of Kelemvor protecting the city fell. The momentary distraction it felt due to the pain inflicted by the Aspect of the Reaper far to the East was just the chance that Cyric had been waiting for. He destroyed the Avatar and pushed the City of Splendors into chaos. He left them to Fate. The battle that raged outside the walls of the city soon spilled into the city. Imperials and Waterdhavians slaughtered each other in those streets and the citizens of the city gave as good as they got. They fought with sword, daggers, maces, clubs, bottles, and anything else in reach. Yet, the Imperials marched forward firing into the mass of resistance. For every Imperial soldier that fell, five Waterdhavians died. The Lords of the City revealed themselves and fought from the front. Halaster Blackcloak fought beside them and did his life proud before a blaster cannon from a dragon walker incinerated him.

The Gods of Faerûn could no longer help the city. It was only one of many that burned.

More to come... I hope.

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Haven't got the time to read more just now, but I just got to the end of Book One, and all I can say wow... It's like, like Star Wars and Stargate together in Forgotten Realms :confused:. I love it :D I hope I can get more reading tomorrow.

PhoenixDarkDirk

First Post
This story is pretty impressive. I've always been interested in Dragonstar. It's the closest thing to my ideal setting that I've seen published. Just the other day I got a copy of the Player's Companion, thus completing my collection of the FFG books for the setting.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Haven't got the time to read more just now, but I just got to the end of Book One, and all I can say wow... It's like, like Star Wars and Stargate together in Forgotten Realms :confused:. I love it :D I hope I can get more reading tomorrow.

This story is pretty impressive. I've always been interested in Dragonstar. It's the closest thing to my ideal setting that I've seen published. Just the other day I got a copy of the Player's Companion, thus completing my collection of the FFG books for the setting.
Thank guys, I'm in the process of outlining the next few updates in my head before I try to tackle writing them. I'm re-reading parts of the FRCS and Lords of Darkness, regarding The North and City of Shade, in order to refresh my memory. ;)

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Thank guys, I'm in the process of outlining the next few updates in my head before I try to tackle writing them. I'm re-reading parts of the FRCS and Lords of Darkness, regarding The North and City of Shade, in order to refresh my memory. ;)

:eek: <-- my reaction at having caught up on all the updates!

Loved it in 2002 and love it right now!

ebaatezu

First Post
still eagerly following this thread there man, hope to see some more eventually :) . Is honestly the best thing i have read for any storyhour, course that might be because i lvoe dragonstar . peace

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
still eagerly following this thread there man, hope to see some more eventually :) . Is honestly the best thing i have read for any storyhour, course that might be because i lvoe dragonstar . peace
I hope I can oblige at some point. My night class is ending soon, so maybe I'll take a look at it again. No promises, though.

FYI... I recently bought Shining South since the last time I updated this story hour. I haven't started reading it yet, but I'm sure I'll find some inspiration in it if I get back into the story. Heh.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Uneasy Allies: Part One

Silverymoon, The High Palace:
'The Gem of the North will never shine again.'

Alustriel stared out of one of the many shattered windows of Moonshield's Great Hall. It's panes of frosted glass had not survived the first attack by the Imperials even though the castle's magical defenses had prevented the interior from being exposed to the radioactive weapons the invaders had used. The outside of the castle hadn't fared as well. Almost all of the decorative carvings had been blown away by the plasma weapons of the Dragon Empire.

The High Lady knew that all of the towers of The High Palace still stood, which was an amazing testament to the magic protecting the structure. However, it's white marble was now scarred with the scorch marks of a thousand plasma blasts. This blemish was not what had pushed the thought to the forefront of Alustriel's mind. It was the view blowing in through the window along with the cool night air.

The City of Shade loomed over Silverymoon. It was a dark protector that cast a shadow over the heart of her city. She couldn't help but think of the capital city of the Silver Marches as hers. It was, in many ways. Yet, she was more than the city's leader. She ruled a nation. A nation that was now under siege from forces she had little to no understanding of. Elminster had once tried to explain the larger universe to her, but it had seemed inconceivable to even her vast intellect. He had warned her that something like this might occur, but he'd made it seem unlikely since the Dragon Empire rarely worries about what he'd called Outlands worlds.

'What changed?'

Alustriel tore her eyes away from the floating city of the shades to stare at the ruin of her city. To do so broke her heart every time. The city was a shadow of its former self and almost matched its dark twin that existed on the Plane of Shadow. It's beauty was tarnished by destroyed sections of the city and the shade soldiers that now patrolled its streets looking for those few Imperial units still hiding out within the city's walls.

The Star Court was gone. It's location was nothing more than a smoking crater. The city's temples had fared slightly better. The Hall of Inspiration and The House of the Invincible still stood and were largely intact. The Temple of the Silver Star had been breached, but it still stood as well. Mielikki's Glade had burned, however. And Rhyester's Matins laid in ruins.

The Conclave was now a refugee camp filled with the desperate and dying. Many of the district's buildings had survived the Imperial aggression, but there would be little use for the university as anything other than a gathering point for those unable to aid in the city's defense. Worse than that sight was the remains of The Moonbridge. The weapons of the Imperials had done more than dispel the bridge's magic. Somehow, the technomagical force of the plasma weapons sundered it in two. The force magic built into the magic remained active but no matter how she had tried to fix it, nothing had worked.

However, the strangest sight to Alustriel's eyes, even with Shade hovering above Silverymoon was the shadow-energy barrier that the shades had erected over both her city and Shade. It's presence unnerved her more than anything else. Once erected, it had blocked out the last rays of the sun, and now, at dusk, the city was encased in a gloom that sent shivers up her spine.

“High Lady,” a servant whispered in Alustriel's ear. “The last of the council members have arrived.”

“Let's hope for a better tomorrow,” she sighed.

The High Lady of Silver Marches took a deep breath and turned to look upon the desperate eyes that hoped she'd be able to save them. It still made her question her sanity to see Hadrhune of Shade standing amongst her peers. He had insisted. She'd had no choice. The City of Shade was now the strongest voice in the League of the Silver Marches.

“Dead Mystra,” she whispered. “Forgive me for what I must do next.”

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases