Slaad Farming

gfunk

First Post
Caliban said:

Those were all part of the creature when it was summoned, they would all leave with the creature when it leaves.

Caliban, I understand what you are saying, but I have to respectfully disagree. For certain things such as armor and weapons, I agree that they would go back with the summoned monster. For instance, no summoning an Astral Deva, instructing him to fork over his magical mace and then selling it for a profit.:D

However for poisons and disease I can't really agree. I mean what's the point of summoning a fiendish viper if your enemies won't be around to take the secondary poison damage?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
gfunk said:

Caliban, I understand what you are saying, but I have to respectfully disagree. For certain things such as armor and weapons, I agree that they would go back with the summoned monster. For instance, no summoning an Astral Deva, instructing him to fork over his magical mace and then selling it for a profit.:D

However for poisons and disease I can't really agree. I mean what's the point of summoning a fiendish viper if your enemies won't be around to take the secondary poison damage?

Poison and Disease may be an exception, I just don't see anything that indicates that they would be.

How often do your enemies live long enough to worry about the secondary poison damage anyway?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Caliban said:
How often do your enemies live long enough to worry about the secondary poison damage anyway?
They could, for example, fly away after being wounded. And if the party has no way to pursue them, that secondary poison damage might be important.

Also, sometimes a PC is poisoned by a summoned critter.

Crothian

First Post
Caliban said:

Poison and Disease may be an exception, I just don't see anything that indicates that they would be.

About one month ago we were fighting a Dragon and the Druid used Poison on it. THe Dragon made the first saving throw and five rounds later flew away (the DM was hoping to make it a reocurring villian dragon) as it flew the Druid reminded the DM that the dragon needed to make another saving throw which it failed. The Dragon fell out of the sky as it sufferd 8 points of con damage. We cheered!!

There are a number of calling spells you can use to keep the slaad and their eggs. I believe one is available at 6th-level. Or wait some more levels and use gate.

Wolfspider

Explorer
About one month ago we were fighting a Dragon and the Druid used Poison on it. THe Dragon made the first saving throw and five rounds later flew away (the DM was hoping to make it a reocurring villian dragon) as it flew the Druid reminded the DM that the dragon needed to make another saving throw which it failed. The Dragon fell out of the sky as it sufferd 8 points of con damage. We cheered!!

Sorry, I just feel obligated to comment on this. ;) Why would the dragon fall out of the sky? Even the smallest dragon would not be killed by losing just eight points of Constitution. I could imagine if it had lost a lot of Strength being unable to remain in flight, but Constitution...?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
There are a number of calling spells you can use to keep the slaad and their eggs. I believe one is available at 6th-level. Or wait some more levels and use gate.

Lesser Planar Binding, Wiz/Sor 5th.

Up to 8HD - Reds are 7, Blues are 8.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Sorry, I just feel obligated to comment on this. ;) Why would the dragon fall out of the sky? Even the smallest dragon would not be killed by losing just eight points of Constitution. I could imagine if it had lost a lot of Strength being unable to remain in flight, but Constitution...?

Because losing 8 points of Con also loses you 4 hit points per hit die?

If we take the example of a Young Adult Blue, that's 18 hit dice - 72 hit points for failing that save. If it was fleeing 'cos it was low on hit points, there's a fair chance it was down below 70!

-Hyp.

Remove ads