FREE Campaign Setting "A Final Fantasy" - Player's Manual now online!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasswatchman

First Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that I've just posted the first of two e-books in a free, Creative Commons-released campaign setting. It's called "A Final Fantasy," and it's based on the classic Squaresoft RPGs Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy VI. Download the new Player's Instruction Manual by clicking [link removed by admin]!

• Fully 81 pages long
  • Involves players in an epic, genre-spanning storyline, with the fate of an entire world at stake;
  • Includes dozens of new weapons, armor and magic items that can be used in any d20 system-based game;
  • A full system of house rules, including spells and playable races;
  • Links to the Hypertext d20 SRD provide a convenient, 21st-century source of reference;
  • Did we mention that it’s free yet? We meant to.

Enjoy!

- Jon
www.tinwatchman.com/aff

Last edited by a moderator:

Brasswatchman

First Post
I also should admit, I'm fully aware that releasing this right now might be futile, what with 4th edition coming out. Still, I don't know if everyone's planning to convert from 3.5e right away. And once again, it's free. So what do you have to lose?

I don't know if anyone remembers, but back when I was first writing this setting a few years ago I posted some stuff for review here. I don't remember the particular names of anyone who responded to me, but I just wanted to thank them for their support - and show them the final product.

- Jon

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Dude. It has the Super Nintendo trademarked image logo on the cover and references Final Fantasy in the title. Before I even think about putting that on my HDD, I need some assurances that you received permission to use this IP.

Brasswatchman

First Post
jdrakeh said:
It has the Super Nintendo trademarked image logo on the cover and references Final Fantasy in the title.

It's completely a fan work, I'm afraid. Then again, that's one of the big reasons that it's strictly free-for-download.

It's your call, though. Thanks for at least taking a look.

I need some assurances that you received permission to use this IP.

IP as in...?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
IP is intellectual property. Sadly, this work is really, really illegal; you're violating a whole slew of copyrights. I'm going to remove the link. It may be totally awesome, but we can't have it linked here if you're using trademarks you don't have a right to.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Brasswatchman said:
(shrug) Fair enough. Sorry for the trouble.
Nope, it was cool of you to offer it. I'd be interested to see other stuff from you, if you work on other projects.

Brasswatchman

First Post
Piratecat said:
Nope, it was cool of you to offer it. I'd be interested to see other stuff from you, if you work on other projects.

:) I appreciate that, thanks. I'm guessing that ENworld's run into trouble with this before. Sorry, I've been a bit out of the loop. It's not my intention to get anyone in trouble.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Brasswatchman said:
IP as in...?

What Piratecat said.

Basically, being fan-created and free, doesn't exempt a work from the rules of trademark law. If you don't have permission from the trademark owners to use their intellectual property, you're infringing upon it under the law. Bottom line is that it's illegal.

You may want to drop Nintendo and Square's legal departments some emails as I understand that, in the case of fan works, they are fairly open to granting such permissions. If they don't, you'll need to remove any and all possibly infringing trademarks and names from your work before it can be legally distributed.

You may want to check out Super Console and a few other Final Fantasy-inspired games like Zodiac for rough guides on how to do this latter thing. Returner's Final Fantasy RPG community has, IIRC, permissions from Square to use the properties.

Brasswatchman

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Basically, being fan-created and free, doesn't exempt a work from the rules of trademark law. If you don't have permission from the trademark owners to use their intellectual property, you're infringing upon it under the law. Bottom line is that it's illegal.

I am aware of the law, thank you.

You may want to drop Nintendo and Square's legal departments some emails as I understand that, in the case of fan works, they are fairly open to granting such permissions.

That's interesting. I would have thought that they'd just quash anything that came onto their radars. Thank you for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads