In defiance of Dragons--Homebrew 4E campaign starting up

Redclaw

First Post
It is 100 years after the First Flight, the unified attack staged by over 70 dragons of all colors. With the systematic and brutal campaign staged by the great wyrms, the cities of the Karisian Empire were completely destroyed, and the once mighty nation was sent into a dark age.

The smaller cities survived, spared the destruction of their larger neighbors, and over time they sought to rebuild what had been lost. They slowly built up a number of smaller, isolated principalities. This brought the Second Flight.

60 years ago, 40 years after the First Flight, the dragons came again, wiping out the fledgling city-states. To prevent further efforts, individual dragons claimed territories, and held dominion over the villages that lay within them. Now few humanoids exist outside the influence of the wyrmkings, and the world is a truly wild and dangerous place.

From this world a small group of adventurers are about to arise. Having grown up in an isolated town, they will soon find themselves on a course of events beyond their childhood daydreams.

[sblock=Evenfall] The small town of Evenfall, on the western edge of the Thornwaste Forest, is in the realm of Rhixallithen, a mighty green dragon that demands an annual tribute to keep from destroying the town. The river Thornwash exits the forest through the town, continuing down a sloping hill into an open plain to the west.

Evenfall holds slightly over 800 citizens, mostly human but with some members of each of the other humanoid races. There are only a few dragonborn, and they are mistrusted by many of the other races. There is limited contact with outsiders, although a few brave travelers visit every year, bearing news and goods from afar.

The town is supervised by Norsten Speakerson, son of the fighter Narvend Wyrmling, who led the original negotiations with Rhixallithen. Norsten is in charge of disputes and enforcing community rules, as well as being the voice of the dragon in town. He collects the tribute and delivers it to Rhixallithen. He is assisted in his duties by Bertran Mason, constable of Evenfall, and nine other strong-armed guardsmen, as well as Phillian Oakspine, an elven wizard, and the only person allowed to cast spells within town limits without the express permission of Norsten. None of them are particularly popular in town, but they are respected and heeded.

Most townsfolk tend to worship Pelor and Obad-Hai, but all gods have at least a few followers in town. The one exception, at least openly, is Bahamut, whose worship has been outlawed by Rhixallithen, punishable by razing of all of Evenfall.

The town is fed by means of the farmland to the west, as well as plentiful fishing and hunting provided by the forest and river. There are a number of herbalists and others who make use of the forest, as well as the usual artisans, including a talented jeweler who makes use of gold panned from the Thornwash, and a smith of some renown. In short, the town is self-sufficient. [/sblock]

This is a homebrewed world that I have been developing for a while, but haven’t yet used. It seems to fit the Points of Light motif, so I figured 4E’s launch was the perfect time. If you’re interested in exploring both the world and the new rules with me, please submit a character concept.

Submission Process:
As this is my first foray into 4E, I’m looking for a group of 4-6 characters with a wide range of both races and classes. The more I get to see of the new rules the better. I only want character concepts at this point, with a bit of background info but no stats or power choices yet. I’ll take applications until Sunday, June 8, and then those selected can stat out their characters as we explore the character creation rules together.

I have not yet received my books, but I have them preordered, so they should be arriving this weekend. My hope is that all players will have access to the PHB in time to build their characters. I have some strong ideas for the first few quests, so we should be able to start adventuring Monday, June 15th or so.

Proposed Characters So Far

Defenders
Osric--Dwarf Fighter—Pathfinderq1
--Dragonborn Paladin of Tiamat—Warshrike
Jaden Henries--Halfling Fighter--OutlawJT

Leaders
Penance—Tiefling Cleric of the Raven Queen—Walking Dad
Bheazir—Half-elf Warlord—Zweischneid

Strikers
Valamir—Human Warlock (Star Pact)—EvolutionKB
Immeral--Eladrin Ranger--Zurai
Akara Thriv--Dragonborn Rogue--Kobold Stew
Corbin Tallfellow--Halfling Rogue--Renau1g
Keira--Half-elven Warlock (Infernal Pact)--Bialaska
Aliera--Eladrin Warlock(fey pact)--dekarguy

Controllers
Mirna—Human Wizard—Graf
Galdr--Tiefling Wizard--Warlocklord

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Your setting sounds intriguing sofar.

Are you set on Pelor? What I have heard of Amaunator give me better vibes. And he is the 4e core sungod.

If I can get Amaunator, I would like to play a cleric. If I cannot, I will make a warlord. Race would be human or tiefling (got some good ideas for a tiefling cleric of a sun-god ;) ).

Redclaw

First Post
I was pretty sure they were sticking with Pelor, and I have no real idea about Obad-Hai. I will gladly adjust these to fit the default pantheon when I have the PHB. I just wanted to get across that the villagers worship the gods of sun and nature.

pathfinderq1

First Post
I'd be interested in getting in on this as well. I don't have the books pre-ordered, but I'm betting Pandemonium will have a few available Friday after I get out of work. Failing that I may have to beg assistance until I can acquire them elsewhere- so far I'm working off the info in the "PHB lite" compilation.

Character-wise, I'm thinking relatively simple- probably a tank. Dragon-born fighter, probably 2-handed weapon build (with the possibility of the Warlord multiclass feat). Growing up around town, he would have been eyed with suspicion, and tried to make up for it by acting dumb and harmless. Unfortunately for him, he has a good heart, and dropped his facade to step in when another townsperson (or PC?) was being hassled by one of the constable's guardsmen.

Secondary concept would be an eladrin ranger (archer), who grew up outside of town and only recently came into "civilization", after some stressful event (death of mentor, beastie raid, etc.).

Last edited:

Rolzup

First Post
What would your feeling be on a Gnome Rogue?

A fugitive from justice, and a refugee from the Feywild, he's wandering the world, learning and stealing as he goes....

renau1g

First Post
Definitely interested, but I really can't say which character class I want to play until I see them more in depth.

So far, I'd love to try out the dragon-born (or whatever they're called)

WarShrike

First Post
I think i'd play a Dragonborn Paladin of Tiamat or a rogue Mage (rogue = renegade, since magic's illegal), probably human. Haven't gotten the books either, so not 100%.

EvolutionKB

First Post
I would like to give this a try. Valamir, Human warlock(star pact). He would be new to town, a lone surviving member of a caravan traveling near the Thornwash. The river without explanation swelled beyond it's borders while camping, swallowing the entire caravan. Valamir was later found floating face down in the water by a pair of gold panners.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases