The Raven Marches

Halford

First Post
The Raven Marches

Campaign: 3.5
Recruiting: 3-6 Players

The Raven Marches
IC Thread Rogues Gallery

The Raven Marches a bitterly cold barren expanse of land upon the edge of the Seldom Sea. Here cling the last vestiges of civilization, rogues rebels and refugees all. However, within the last twenty years a small community of Kilmarian refugees have formed a beacon of civilization and order in these harsh lands – Daunton. Kilmar having fallen before the fell power of the Cambion Thandegast.

You have arrived in Daunton, for reasons of your own, to find yourself pressed into the towns militia. Daunton demands a heavy price for the safety of her walls and she takes payment in advance. You find yourself signed up for two weeks service, which will grant you citizenship for one year and weaponry and armor as appropriate.

Play will begin swiftly as you are bundled in with strangers and sent off into the wilds to pacify a threat to Daunton's precious farmland. Your squad, the Crimson Hawks, has been tasked with dispatching a tribe of goblins who have raided several farms.

Daunton will serve as a permanent base for the Campaign, it has many guilds, churches, and even two adventuring societies. Since the lands surrounding Daunton are so perilous adventurers are often sought after and you should find no shortage of work. If the players are interested they will have the opportunity to purchase a business early on in the game, this will provide a steady source of income with the option to increase profits based upon the parties actions.

Character Cration: 36 point buy.

Starting gold will be maximum for your character class + up to 50gp in weapons or armor only from the militia, you may also spend this on items such as Alchemist's Fire an Acid. You may select items worth more than 50gp and "pay" the militia the remaining amount, enabling you to use the 50gp towards a Chainshirt for example.

Flaws: You may take none, select one, or roll for two, this will be a d12 role on Invisible Castle - though there are 13 flaws it is doubtful that any of you will be eligable for the pathetic flaw so it will be removed. Flaws will be in the order they are in on the SRD, the first being 1, etc.

Books permitted: All Core, all Completes, all Races except Dragon, all Environment (Frostburn, Sandstorm, Stormwrack, Dungeonscape), Heroes of Horror, Heroes of Battle, Unearthed Arcana, Expanded Psionics Handbook, and Player's Handbook II. There will be exceptions from these books, most of which are common. For example no Frenzied Berserker, Divine Metamagic, Sudden Feats, etc. You may propose material from other books.

Races: All PHB, Grey Elves, Wood Elves, Gold Dwarves, Forest Gnomes, Shifters, Changelings, Kalashtar, check with me for anything else without a level adjustment.

Pantheon: Standard PHB as well as anything from Complete Divine and the XPH.

The Seldom Sea: The Northern sea which freezes over to a fraction of its size in the winter, sometimes even creating a path between the Raven Marches and the vast frozen landmass of Glimmar. Whaling ships ply the sea and their crews tell tall tales of Icebergs and great sea serpents which stalk the iron blue waves.

The Fist of Kalkan: A range of five vast mountains thrust up incongorously in the middle of the Raven Marches. Home to many dangerous monsters and the ruined dwarfhold of Grakbranar. The Hammerfrost holds lie scattered amidst the smaller foothills, these clans made up of refugees from seven centuries ago when they were driven from Grakbranar.

The Ebondark Forest: Thankfully a few days travel from Daunton the Ebondark is a place of nightmares and shadows, evil fey are rumored to hold court their and folk tails tell of a being known as the Shadow Prince.

The Serpent Mire: Daunton's farmland is able to sustain the city in large part because of the warm air which comes from the Serpent Mire. This brakish swamp's water is warm to the touch being fed by a multitude of hot springs. As its name suggests the Serpent Mire is home to a great number of snakes, as well as crocodiles, lizardmen and according to more fanciful rumors serpentfolk and even dragons.

Marr: The nearest settlement is a cesspool, home to the Pirate fleet of Thorgar the Childeater and several bandit bands. Marr's fabled Longman is also purportedly the ruler of Daunton's thieves guild the Swordfish.

Daunton: A Town of around 9,000, ruled by the Council of Worthies – guild leaders, a few powerful merchants, and the commanders of the watch and militia. The town has numerous guilds, churches, and even two adventuring societies.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Sounds very interesting. I would like to play. I will post a character later today. Do you allow LA+1 races and level buy-offs?

Halford

First Post
Well first off love to have you onboard Walking Dad.

I won't be allowing level adjustments I'm afraid, since we will be starting a 1st level, so buy off is rather irrelevant

I will allow flaws, however. You may either select one or roll for two, this will be a d12 role on Invisible Castle - though there are 13 flaws it is doubtful that any of you will be eligable for the pathetic flaw so it will be removed. Flaws will be in the order they are in on the SRD, the first being 1, etc.

Last edited:

Halford

First Post
Which is a very sad thing because Factotums are a wonderful class. All skills as class skills! Yes please! I made up some Facotum NPCs recently and had great fun.

moritheil

First Post
This sounds very interesting! I see that you list XPH as permitted material, but you have a very short list of allowed races. Will you allow Elans?

Legildur

First Post
You've some good applicants already, but I'd be keen to contribute.

Character/Race selection would depend on how many players and their selections. I'll keep watch.

Vertexx69

First Post
I wouldn't mind trying out my lvl 1 evoker 1 last time, Ive played him twice before but the game died from neglect by both DMs and players. Is the feat Familiar Spell (Und p.25) allowed?

Thelmarose Oberith is for lack of a better word, a shlub. The definitive stick in the mud, and harbinger of doom and gloom, he has absolutely no confidence in his spell casting ability (although he still uses them to devastating effect). He does however take some small pride in his prowess with the bow. Having worn out his welcome with his own family, it was suggested that travel could expand his horizons.

[sblock=Thalmarose Oberith]Name: Thelmarose Oberith
Class: wizard (Evoker) 1
Race: Grey Elf
Size: M
Alignment: N
Deity:

Str: 8 -1 Level: 1 XP: 0
Dex: 18 +4 BAB: +0 HP: 8 (1d4+1, +3 from toad)
Con: 12 +1 Grapple: +0
Int: 20 +5 Speed: 30' Stat Increases:
Wis: 10 +0 Init: +4 Spell Save:
Cha: 8 -1 ACP: 0 Spell Fail: 0

Base Armor Shld Dex Size Nat Misc Total
Armor: 10 +0/4 +0/4 +4 +0 +0 +0 14/22
Touch: 14 Flatfooted: 10

Spell Res: None
Dmg Red: None

Total Base Mod Misc
Fort: +1 +0 +1 --
Ref: +4 +0 +4 --
Will: +2 +2 -- --

Weapon Attack Damage Critical Range
Longbow +4 1d8+0 20/x3 100 ft.
Dagger -3/+4 1d4-1 19-20/x2 10 ft
Notes: Evocation save DCs +1.

Languages: Common, Elven, Hafling, Gnome, Draconic, Goblin, Orc

Abilities:
(will change Asterisk to magenta as I cast my spells)

Spells 3+1/3+1/1
Acid Splash*, Detect Magic*
Shield*, Mage Armor*, Wall of Smoke, Identify, Magic Missile, Burning Hands*, Guiding Light, Raging Flame*
Scorching Ray*
Specialized in Evocation (prohibited schools: Enchantment & Necromancy)

Grey Elf Traits:
-2 str, +2 dex, -2 con, +2 int
Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
Martial Weapon Proficiency with longsword, rapier, longbow & shortbow
+2 racial bonus on search, spot & listen checks
Lowlight vision
Immunity vs magic sleep effects
+2 save vs enchantments

Feats:
1 Precocious Aprentice (Scorching Ray)
- Arcane Mastery
- Spell Thematics (tiny fiery spirits dart about his form and his eyes burn with green soulfire) (Burning Hands)
- Scribe Scroll (Bonus - wizard)
- Alertness (Bonus - familiar)

Flaws: Murky-eyed & Noncombatant Flaws:5,6

Familiar: Toad in Familiar pouch under backpack
Skill Points: 28 Max Ranks: 4/2
Skills Total Ranks Stat Misc
Concentration +5 4 +1 --
Craft-scribe +7 2 +5 --
Decipher Script +9 2 +5 --
Know-Arcana +6 1 +5 --
Know-Planes +6 1 +5 --
Know-Nature +6 1 +5 --
Know-Nob&Roy +6 1 +5 --
Search +11 4 +5 +2
Spot +6 2 +0 +4
Listen +6 2 +0 +4
Spellcraft +11 4 +5 +2

Gear: 170g cost weight
Silver Dogwood Longbow 75g 3
Quiver X2 2g 6
Dagger 2g 1
Backpack w/familiar pouch 5g 2
Artisans outfit 1g 4
Rope hemp 50 ft 1g 10
Spell component pouch 5g 2
Trail rations X4 2g 4

Total Weight:28lb Money: 76gp 20sp 0cp

Lgt Med Hvy Lift Push
Max Weight: 38 76 115 230 575

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 155
Eyes: Amber
Hair: Silver
Skin: Pale[/sblock]
[sblock=Description]Thalmarose's deeply hooded golden cloak has seen better days and his dusty silver robes seems almost tarnished, but they still accent his long spun-silver hair and amber eyes quite well as he pulls back the hood revealing his very long and pale ears. The silver ashwood bow that he has had bent over his shoulder the entire trip, along with the delicate rapier at his belt are in prestine condition and obviously his prized possesions. His hair is kept off his face by a series of ornate knots and braided with fine honey colored leather laces. It then flows flawlessly down his back in a cascade to just above his waist.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Halford

First Post
Well first off thanks for your interest folks.

Moritheil: Sorry no Elan's its a personal flavor issue I'm afraid, Elans and Illumians...

Legildur: Be delighted to have you, let me know if you have any questions.

Vertexx69: Thelmarose seems great, but I have a couple of quick questions.

Can you explain your Spot and Listen numbers to me please? Remember they are cross class skills, I know you have Alertness and your Elven plus, but they don't seem to add up.

What is your Precocious Appretice Spell? And did you include the +2 bonus to Spellcraft?

Ae you aware of the Elf Generalist option for Wizards from Races of the Wild, certainly not essential, but you might want to consider it if you are not familiar with it.

I will also allow familiars without the payment of 100gp.

As for Familiar spell I do not own Underdark, but if you can send me the information for the feat I will consider it. I do know the Epic feat Familiar Spell, odd that they would reuse the name...

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Here is the crunch of my factotum.

I was unsure between human or greyelf, but I don't want to double up on the later:
[sblock=Derek]

Human Factotum

Diety: ? What gods do you use ?

Feats:
Trap Engineer (Dungeonscape)
Jack of All Trades (Races of Destiny)

Str 14 (6)
Dex 14 (6)
Con 15 (8)
Int 16 (10)
Wis 12 (4)
Cha 10 (2)

HP: 10

Skills: 10 ranks/ level
Autohypnosis: +6 (+4 ranks + 2 Con)
Bluff: + (+4 ranks + 0 Cha )
Disable Device: +7 (+4 ranks + 3 Int )
Listen: +4 (+3 ranks + 1 Wis)
Knowledge (Dungeoneering): +7 (+4 ranks + 3 Int)
Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 1: +4 (+1 ranks + 3 Int )
Open Lock: +6 (+4 ranks + 2 Dex)
Search: +7 (+4 ranks + 3 Int)
Spot: +5 (+4 ranks + 1 Wis)
Tumble: +6 (+4 ranks + 2 Dex)
Use Magic Device: +4 (+4 ranks + 0 Cha)

Languages: common, elven, draconic, orc

AC: 15 (10 + 2 Dex +3 Studded Leather)
Fort: +2
Refl: +4
Will: +1[/sblock]
[sblock=Equipment pending]Equipment: 240gp
Longsword 15gp 4 lbs