D&D 4E Fillable pdf character sheet for 4e, version 3.0

mpleg

First Post
I wasn't really thrilled with how the 4th edition character sheets look. They seem to be based around a workflow of building a character, which is good for creating a first character, but I find they are too crowded for frequent use.

I lived off of fillable PDFs in 3.5, so I've put together a fillable character sheet for 4th using a different layout, which I hope will be easier to run from. Feel free to use these, and I'd appreciate any feedback.

Several design notes:
  • I've tried to keep everything needed for combat on the first page, which means many things (like description) were moved to the second page.
  • The first page has has space for details on five powers, and an extended list of powers on the second page. I'd recommend putting your most frequently used powers on the first page.

As of v3, you can auto-copy a power from the second page onto the first by checking the diamond check box next to the power names. That should help you avoid double entering powers.
  • Everything is grouped into regions, so all your offensive capabilities are listed in one area of the first page and all your defensive capabilities in another. This should hopefully make it easier to find things quickly.
  • The first page does not contain the list of feats, but areas where you can list the affects of feats (or other abilities). For example, rather than list "Power Attack" on the first page, you could put "-x to hit, +x to damage" under the offensive section of the first page and list the feat name "Power Attack" on the second page. If you have an item that gives a AC bonus against dragons, then list the optional bonus on the first page under the defensive section and the item on the second.
  • The form is a fillable and tries to do most of the math for you. Acrobat 8.0 seems to have some problems where is prints little plus signs in the corners of fields in the powers section after filling them in. You can turn this off under edit->preferences->forms and uncheck 'Show text field overflow indicator'.

Once again, feedback is appreciated. This is still a work in progress.

update v2: Fixed calculation ordering issues, base +10 in defenses, font size scaling, and made dungeoneering wis based.

update v3: Merged powers and main sheet into single pdf, cosmetic improvements, added description section, some calculated values are now over-writable

Attachments

• Character Sheet 4e.zip
    112.9 KB · Views: 8,905
Last edited:

mpleg

First Post
Oops, I meant to post this to the fan creation forum, not rules. Could a mod move this for me? Sorry about that.

samursus

Explorer
Very nice so far.... been looking for something like this...

A few things:

The Defenses don't include the Base 10

When I changed the level to 2, the Base number changed, but the final result was only correct for Ref and Will, AC and Fort didn't add the +1. (same thing when changed to Level 4)...weird..when I changed it back to Level 1, the AC and Fort are now too high

samursus

Explorer
Regarding the AC/Fort issue it seems the calculations aren't taking into account the "Base" stat (discovered by entering only Level=4 on a blank sheet)

mpleg

First Post
samursus said:
Weird...started a new sheet, and the Ac and Fort worked fine this time..sorry dunno what to say...

Noted the missing base +10 on defenses.

The fonts for type and action in the powers should have been auto-sizing as you type more characters, but that seems to have been turned off.

I just reproduced the AC/Fort bug--adobe doesn't seem to be handling auto updating when one field indirectly relies on another. It looks to depend on the order in which you fill things in. You can force an update by doing something like putting a 0 in a 'misc' field.

I'll try to get these fixed and upload another version tonight.

Thanks for the feedback.

Brazenwood

First Post
Thank You!

I was about to sit down and design a sheet with Illustrator, but now that I've found this, I'm all set! So thank you so much. Anyway, we can get a file with the third sheet for powers in the same file in case we want to have ONE pdf file for an npc on a website?

Also noticed too that the base 10 isn't working for defenses, it's set to 0.

Brazenwood

First Post
ALso noticed that you have the Int stat for Dungeoneering, when the Player's Handbook has the WIS stat for dungeoneering... Might want to fix that too!

Great resource for the community! I'll be sure and link to it when I develop my new campaign website!

Remove ads