1st-Level Monster Conversions

the Jester

Legend
Edit: This thread is what spawned the Monster Project.

...now that we know what's in the 4e MM, we know that there aren't a ton of 1st-level monsters. My understanding is that we get:

*A halfling
*A gnome
*Many kobolds (all? of which we see in KotS)
*A goblin or two
*Decrepit skeletons
*Dire Rats
*Fire beetles
*Stirges
*Some kinda drake (pseudodragon?)
*"Stormclaw scorpion"

(Am I missing anything?)

Ok, so I know there are also cool level 2-3 monsters that would fit fine in a 4e encounter with level 1 pcs. But I hunger for some more variety, especially since there are a wealth of old edition monsters ripe for converting as 1st level monsters. In another thread someone mentioned xvarts. What about blood hawks? Norkers? Giant centipedes? The infamous krenshar? Kaorti? A small spider (like, halfling-sized)? The possibilities are endless!

I've already done the blood hawk and will post it below.

So tell me some more. I am going to do some 1st level monster conversions; what monsters aren't in the 4e MM that beg for conversion?

Edit: Okay, here's my list of low-level monsters to convert so far, based on feedback in this thread and my own brainstorming. Some of these I think will end up shifting up a couple of levels- prolly the ankheg, at least.

Aarakockra
Al-mi'raj
Ant, Giant
Badger
Beetle
Blood Hawk
Bullywug
Centipedes, Giant
Corollax
Darkmantle
Another Darkmantle
Death Dog
Dog
Dust Devil
Kaorti
Kaorti (more)
Kercpa
Krenshar
Lizard, Giant
Mudman
Myconid
Nixie
Ratling
Scorpion, Giant
Spider, Small
Squirrel
Stone Spike
Twig Blight
Vegepygmie
Weasel, Dire
Witherstench
Xvart

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
The Blood Hawk (Level 1 Skirmisher)

EDIT: Since there is an official 4e conversion, I shan't be updating these guys to MM3 standards. Unless someone really wants me to.

BLOOD HAWK--- Level 1 Skirmisher
Small natural beast--- XP 100
---
Initiative +4; Senses Perception +7, low-light vision
HP 27; Bloodied 13
AC 15; Fortitude 11; Reflex 15; Will 13
Speed 2, fly 10 (average)
---
[Melee Basic] Claw (standard; at will): +5 vs. AC; 1d8+3 plus ongoing 2 (save ends)
[Melee] Flyby Attack (standard; at will) : The blood hawk moves up to 10 squares. At any point during its move it may make a claw attack. The blood hawk does not provoke opportunity attacks from the target of this attack.
---
Alignment unaligned; Languages -
Skills Perception +7
Str 13; Dex 19; Wis 15
Con 11; Int 2; Cha 7

Last edited:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
the Jester said:
My understanding is that we get:

*A halfling
*A gnome
*Many kobolds (all? of which we see in KotS)
*A goblin or two
*Decrepit skeletons
*Dire Rats
*Fire beetles
*Stirges
*Some kinda drake (pseudodragon?)
*"Stormclaw scorpion"

(Am I missing anything?)

Not much, there are three 1st-level kobolds (slinger, minion, skirmisher) and three goblins (blackblade, cutter, warrior), and both dire rats and giants rats. The drake is a "spiretop drake" (first seen in Sharn: City of Towers).

Oh, and you left out that most ferocious of 1st-level opponents, the riding horse.

pogminky

First Post
What about some animals? Animals are good for low level PCs - don't forget the dreaded house-cat or the terrifying dire gerbil!

the Jester

Legend
After giving it a bunch of thought, I kept coming up with monsters that start with the letter "A"...

Ants (giant- did these ones last night)
Al-mi'raj
Aaracokra (sp?)

...there will be more, of course.

I think I'll convert my homebrewed 3.5 Mosquito Swarm; that was a good'un that everyone can hate without qualm!

Some animals aren't a bad idea- maybe a warthog and some dogs?

I should be getting my books today, so I'll know for sure what made it in (for instance, is the al-mi'raj now a 10th-level skirmisher, and I just didn't realize it?). Then I'll be playing KotS. Then I'll go crazy with a combination of reading 4e and writing up/converting monsters!

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I personally could use revised stats for the Ankheg.

Since we don't have any good miniatures to represent adult kruthiks, I'm going to remove them from KotS and replace them with Ankhegs.

Should make for some nice low level brutes.

the Jester

Legend
Ashrem Bayle said:
I personally could use revised stats for the Ankheg.

Since we don't have any good miniatures to represent adult kruthiks, I'm going to remove them from KotS and replace them with Ankhegs.

Should make for some nice low level brutes.

Hmm, I'd prolly make it a 4th level lurker or thereabouts. That ol' ankheg bursts up from below thing, you know. :)

I'll definitely put it on my list, since I know that it isn't in the MM now.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases