1st-Level Monster Conversions

the Jester

Legend
EDIT: Updated later in the thread, including a bunch of additional versions (cub, dire, etc).

Since I'm running a new group since I relocated, I will probably be in the lower-level threads periodically when I make new monsters to use on the group. Here's one that I may be able to use sometime in the next couple of games- an old Fiend Folio classic updated. I must admit that some of the inspiration for this conversion comes from a recent random encounters some of our dogs had... :mad:

WITHERSTENCH--- Level 1 Controller
A witherstench is a skunk-like creature the size of a bobcat. Though generally reclusive, they are sometimes captured and trained for use as guard animals. A thief that is sprayed by the witherstench cannot easily hide their guilt.

Small natural beast--- XP 100
---
Initiative +2; Senses Perception +1; low-light vision
HP 32; Bloodied 16
AC 15; Fortitude 15; Reflex 13; Will 11
Speed 6
---
[Melee basic] Bite (standard action; at will): +6 vs. AC; 2d4+3 damage.

[Close] Musk Spray (standard; recharge 5 6): Blast 2; +2 vs. Fortitude; pushed 4 and musky (save ends). While musky, the target is weakened and gains a stench aura 2 (any creature entering or starting its turn in the aura is pushed 2). Aftereffect: The character has a lingering stench that lasts for days (daily save ends). While this effect lasts, the character has a -2 penalty to Diplomacy checks. Aftereffect: The stench lingers (daily save ends). Aftereffect: The stench lingers (daily save ends).
---
Alignment unaligned; Languages -
Str 9; Dex 14; Wis 13
Con 16; Int 2; Cha 11

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
NIXIE
Nixies are water-dwelling, mischievous fey. Appearing as very comely, green skinned humanoids with green hair and silver eyes, they are scaled, with webbed hands and feet. Nixies dwell in rivers and lakes, but are only rarely found in larger bodies of waters.

LAUGHING NIXIE--- Level 1 Minion Controller
Small fey humanoid--- XP 25
---
Initiative +2; Senses Perception -1
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion
AC 15; Fortitude 10; Reflex 14; Will 14
Speed 6, swim 9
---
[Melee basic] Dagger (standard; at will) Weapon: +6 vs. AC; 4 damage.

[Close] Charming Laugh (standard; encounter) Charm: Close burst 2; +2 vs. Will; the target cannot attack a nixie until the end of the laughing nixie’s next turn.
---
Alignment unaligned; Languages Elven
Str 11; Dex 15; Wis 9
Con 9; Int 12; Cha 16
---
Equipment dagger

RIVER NIXIE --- Level 1 Controller
Small fey humanoid--- XP 100
---
Initiative +2; Senses Perception -1
HP 25; Bloodied 12
AC 15; Fortitude 10; Reflex 14; Will 14
Vulnerable lightning (if the river nixie takes lightning damage, it also slides 2)
Speed 6, swim 9
---
[Melee basic] Dagger (standard; at will) Weapon: +6 vs. AC; 1d4 damage and the target is dazed (save ends).

[Ranged] Nixie Charm (standard; encounter) Charm: Range 10; +5 vs. Will; the target cannot attack a nixie (save ends).
---
Str 11; Dex 15; Wis 9
Con 9; Int 12; Cha 16
---
Equipment dagger

DEEP NIXIE--- Level 4 Controller
Small fey humanoid--- XP 175
---
Initiative +5; Senses Perception +1
HP 50; Bloodied 25
AC 18; Fortitude 13; Reflex 17; Will 17
Resist cold 5; Vulnerable lightning (if the river nixie takes lightning damage, it also slides 2)
Speed 6, swim 9
---
[Melee basic] Dagger (standard; at will) Weapon: +9 vs. AC; 1d4 damage and the target is dazed (save ends).

[Melee] Pressure of the Deep (standard; recharge 3 4 5 6) Cold: +8 vs. Reflex; 2d6+3 damage, plus the target is slowed and takes ongoing 5 cold damage (save ends both).

[Ranged] Nixie Charm (standard; encounter) Charm: Range 10; +8 vs. Will; the target cannot attack a nixie (save ends).
---
Str 14; Dex 16; Wis 9
Con 10; Int 12; Cha 18
---
Equipment dagger

the Jester

Legend
Here's the revised squirrel, including a few new varieties.

I re-did these guys over several days, so I'm afraid I don't have any real commentary on them; I'd have to pour over and do a compare and contrast. I do remember heavily modifying the megalosquirrel's cheek stuff ability, though!

Attachments

• Squirrel.pdf
    97.8 KB · Views: 169

the Jester

Legend
The revised to MV/MM3 standards nixie.

Mostly this entailed just math fixes, although I added an "ends if a nixie hurts you" to the minion's laugh ability.

Attachments

• Nixie.pdf
    73.9 KB · Views: 157

the Jester

Legend
Here's the revised witherstench, including a minion (the cub), a dire version (lvl 5 elite) and a dire version made for riding by gnomes (lvl 10 elite).

For the existing witherstench, really all I did was revise the formatting and change the recharge on the musk spray. The fun was all in the new types. I especially like the mount version; I hope I get a chance to use it one of these days!

Attachments

• Witherstench.pdf
    75.9 KB · Views: 126

urrog

First Post
Hello,
I'm french and I like to translate some articles. I made some french translations of differents monsters and if you agree, I can put them on the correspondant thread.

Also, I search a free font character similar of these used for the monster title in the monster manual. I seem it is DnD Lolth or DnD vecna

urrog

First Post
Here is the first. If you have some comments especially bad, don't hesitate.
If there are some french readers, I would like to have their opinion, too.

Attachments

• Nixe [fr].pdf
    352.2 KB · Views: 141

the Jester

Legend
Unfortunately, my French n'est pas bonne, so I cannot really comment on the translation. I can puzzle it out, but already knowing what it's supposed to say helps!

But I definitely appreciate the work you're doing, it's very cool to see people getting something out of these! (Especially as I update them to Monster Vault standards; it's good to know that it's worth the effort, though I'm mostly going to skip monsters that I don't actually use in-game that have subsequently gotten official conversions, and there are a ton of those!)

Remove ads